[STABLE] Pleased Giraffe Update 5

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Sep 11, 2015.

1. mollygos submitted a new blog post:

[STABLE] Pleased Giraffe Update 5

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Well, thank God for that.

Owl_Stalker, Hwo Thumb, Dunto and 5 others like this.
  3. SweenMachine

SweenMachine Big Damn Hero

Nice to see so many updates, Starbound is really coming to life! Keep up the great work!!

basskas and Axe Garian like this.
  4. Lazy Joe

Lazy Joe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

the game has never been so smooth like today, thanks, this is gonna make the game much much more enjoyable!

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. ilgio

ilgio Intergalactic Tourist

plz fix flashlight bug fast, i can't complete starting quest..

6. Nimja

Nimja Pangalactic Porcupine

Hwo Thumb and Mouseizure like this.
  7. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Since when do we get updates mid-day?

8. Miuub

Miuub Phantasmal Quasar

I think you mean 'affected'.

9. silvariakiralv

silvariakiralv Void-Bound Voyager

"Tenants catch fire less" is seriously the best bug fix description ever

10. Burnalot

Burnalot Void-Bound Voyager

L-Less fire? No! I defy it!
    No tennant will survive without being on fire! It's a mandatory custom on a vulcanic planet.
    Fire here, fire there, some lava other there and hotness all over the place.

Morzan and Mouseizure like this.
  11. Mouseizure

Mouseizure Void-Bound Voyager

Hotness all over the place? I'm in.

12. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

I'm absolutely not ashamed to admit I did a spit take on this one.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    King Leonidas and Axe Garian like this.
  13. freeman27015

freeman27015 Subatomic Cosmonaut

how to feed tenants ?
    if they can not feed, can you add the ability to feed them so well as a pet?

14. justbeast

justbeast Industrial Terraformer

YESS! The Bonesmith tenant is fixed! Finally!! :)

(Hmmm, I wonder if the Eye Guards still attack and kill the human Chef. Must go check...!)

15. Vegar

Vegar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The game runs smoothly like never before! from laggy 20fps up to stable 60fps, i can finally start playing again!

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. KingMufasa

KingMufasa Orbital Explorer

'The people who had bad performance and then fixed it by resizing the window should now have better performance all the time, without needing to resize the window.'

Wait wait wait, this is finally fixed? So I can actually get 60 fps for more than 3 minutes? This is a fantastic change, thank you for fixing this.

Axe Garian and Lintton like this.
  17. TheWalrusNet

TheWalrusNet Phantasmal Quasar

Since this update, anyone who joins my multiplayer server with a modified item will cause the server to crash. It doesn't look like every server is having this problem, so is there a fix for this that i'm not aware of?

The server is hosted through multiplay, on Linux. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, as besides narrowing the problem down to that I have no idea how to fix it.

EDIT: Alongside this, if left alone with nobody joining, the server will eventually crash, with this being at the bottom of the log. This appears to happen even with a default and unedited config file.

Info: Done scanning for router for portforwarding
    terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Star::ServerRconClient::NoMoreRe
    quests'
    what(): (NoMoreRequests)
    Fri Sep 11 16:24:56 2015 [39658]: STARB server 'Multiplay :: The Frontier RP' [3
    53236] failed in under 30 seconds config error? Shutting it down (signal: 6, exi
    t: 0)

EDIT 2: First issue resolved, second issue still a mystery to me

EDIT 3: No they aren't, still having both. Completely stumped.

Axe Garian and Sircarius like this.
  18. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Something that didn't make it into my changelog (because I thought it was still nightly only):
    • The floran mission's entrance has been changed from this (lit from the bottom by me) to this, which should be much less confusing to players. (there were over a dozen threads about the mission being broken because they didn't know to drop down through the platform)

This update was early last night, and it was just a hotfix. (I'm not sure when mid-day is for you, but it certainly wasn't for most people)

Edit: It looks like there was a separate update much later in the night that only added the Floran mission changes, which was probably why I missed those, since they weren't in my earlier diff at all.

Ha. The exact change was that they no longer have the chance to catch fire when using Bathroom Hand Dryers or Teleporters. But I was doing more of a quick summary than a line by line breakdown. (okay, it did seem more dramatic I guess ;))

A couple other changes from kyren, for modders:

I didn't see any changes to eye guards, and chefs simply had their priority bumped up a little, so this should be unchanged still.

You can't feed tenants right now.

D: Huh, I really expected that line to be updated with more info or removed.

EDIT: @kyren has clarified on reddit what lighting changes were made and why:

Kyren: "The lighting changes were to gain some performance on directed point lights, they were much slower than they needed to be. It involved a specification change but it's more correct now anyway."

@TanzNukeTerror: "Does it affect any light that casts a shadow when passing through blocks?"

Kyren: "It should speed up all point lights (i.e. lights that cast shadows when passing through blocks), but it will probably affect the conical directed point lights more than the omnidirectional ones.

I was seeing in a few test cases at 2x zoom in places with a lot of lights, approximately 10% of the cpu on the main client thread being used for "spread lighting", and another 10% being used for point lighting.

The cost of spread lighting is almost entirely proportional to the size of the screen and nothing more, you can effectively have as many lights as you want (up to a point) and it costs the same since everything is done in one spread pass. Liquids and tiles and the sky and most things cast light this way.

The cost of point lighting is proportional to the number of point lights, their radius, and the width of the cone.. mostly. The change I made makes point light calculations at the corners of the radial box that I'm calculating bail out much faster, and also makes bailing out in areas of the light that are not in the cone a lot faster.

In the test case I was using, the cost of point lighting went from 10% to 5%, so APPROXIMATELY 50% reduction of the cost of mostly directed point lights and APPROXIMATELY a 5% reduction in the cpu cost of a single client frame. (On my machine, in my test case, that day, in that phase of the moon etc).

Lighting is expensive, there may be more wizardry that we can perform to make it faster later."

devilanc, DragonsForce and Axe Garian like this.
  19. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

I was kind of happy about gun chests being considered combat tags, got tired of all the turrets everywhere for human guards

anyway, speaking of lights and guns.......were we still getting muzzle flash change to guns yet?

20. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Anomaly: In this Screenie here: http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...725/856BA0D18940374DD332BDB4D68EEDF929A14826/ The Unrefined Wood on the left refuses to service ANY Crafting Recipe for Unrefined Wood, but the Unrefined Wood on the right works normally.

Bug: I was exploring a natural generated Glitch Village, when I saw this NPC Guard walking waist deep inside solid building material & treating the building material block layer below it as the actual floor: http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...407/A984A2D852522565539C977EC7835AE0AE03B892/ :rofl:

Bug: This Codex Entry in this Screenie: http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...365/3A855D8614E04572AD21F863D95C56B89B96B179/ has some of its Text exiting the Codex Interface.

Bug: This Codex Entry in this Screenie: http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...009/0CF74E01A2878A261F2AC30CC8E47233392353FC/ has some of its Text exiting the Codex Interface.

Bug: This Codex Entry in this Screenie: http://images.akamai.steamuserconte...427/4BAFDFCA0FEB7530CB25CBEEE22FC66FD10A8C5B/ has some of its Text exiting the Codex Interface.

TwinKoi likes this.