Pixel Sprites; pixely creatures, weapons and characters!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Wargod, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Affero

Affero Contributor

I'm looking forward to seeing a weapon pack from you when the beta releases :)

Bebop likes this.
  2. Wargod

Wargod Pangalactic Porcupine

That'd be fun! I got a lot of weapons now. xD
    I should start creating some guns too.

OT:
    2 more weapons :eek:

röda.png

Affero likes this.
  3. Newominus

Newominus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

These are nice, but if you want to use these in Starbound, you'll have to adopt more features in the artstyle.
    Here are some examples of the swords in Starbound. Its very clear whats different about them compared to yours.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Also while making your sprites, make sure half the blade doesn't sink into the ground while you're holding them, thats kind of important.
    On the topic of guns, you dont need to make them angled like the swords, so you'll be okay.

4. Wargod

I was unaware, thank you for posting that.

I saw a post on the front-page, with a character holding a gun. I zoomed in on the picture and saw that the gun was not true 3x3, it had been zoomed in to 3x3, and then turned around in HD-mode if you know what I mean.
    From that I just assumed that this is what they do with all the weapons and it didn't matter which direction they were facing.

Since this thread is posted in the fan-art section my sprites should of course be fit to the Starbound fashion.

5. Wargod

Made myself a sword and a helmet :p

[​IMG]

Chadpole likes this.
  6. xerosin

xerosin Space Spelunker

I'm just recently starting to get into pixel art. And it really fascinates me with this game specifically. But honestly, I do my work in paint [I have PS, but I prefer paint for this sort of thing]. Anyway, the style of most of the premade Starbound swords are all in VERY awkward angles. Making a good looking sword, near impossible for me. Plus, I'm having trouble losing all the detail of my works. They're so large, and I don't know how to go about simplifying them. :L So far, these two are based off of SAO, and they took me about 15-20min in paint each. Also, there's a conversion into the EXACT size and shape of the apex starting sword, it looks nice ingame, don't get me wrong, but it's just awkward looking to me. Any help/advice? By the way, I love your work so far. I can't see myself doing things other than swords and shields myself, I'm jealous. :p
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Wargod

Okay so it's actually pretty easy to change the angle of the sword in the files.
    So you don't HAVE to make weapons in that angle, you can change the angle after. :)

[​IMG]

8. xerosin

xerosin Space Spelunker

Well, the other day, I agreed with you. Then I tried it. Not so much success. Lol. xD Just blurred everything together and looked like a mess. I've just been making Helmets instead. xD

9. DarkTails

DarkTails Big Damn Hero

It's funny, any time I see an artist (or anyone really) getting advice they either:

-Have this grateful attitude that someone is trying to help them improve

Or

-They tell everyone to fuck off and how dare they try to tell them how to do things

Anyway, the sprites are looking great, I'm kinda jealous at how good you made those simple iron items look, for example lol

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  10. Wargod

Thanks man! :D

Made a unicorn sword today heh.

[​IMG]

rhomboid likes this.
  11. kintama.tar.gz

kintama.tar.gz Poptop Tamer

you should check out www.pyxeledit.com :3
    Pyxeledit is a program for making and animating tileable sprites, and it's pretty intuitive.
    Adobe Fireworks is also decent, but Adobe is pretty expensive.
    [​IMG] <--- made this guy in pyxeledit. I'm kinda proud of this

12. Wargod

Another sword modded into the game, here's how it looks:

blippeti.png

Affero likes this.
  13. JJLee

JJLee Space Spelunker

I have a question, what are the monsters for? And how do you ride them like in the profile picture? Are they like a sprite for a monster? And btw, I love ur sprites! Oh, and one more question, what size is the sword you made which file is called sword2.png? (The sword with two edges that are red)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  14. SnowFox1

SnowFox1 Void-Bound Voyager

Really nice

15. LittleR

LittleR Void-Bound Voyager

how would i put a weapon image like this into game?[DOUBLEPOST=1412300537][/DOUBLEPOST]these Handle1.png Blade1.png

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  16. ChimerasBlade

ChimerasBlade Void-Bound Voyager

So is this no more?

17. LittleR

no, there is a program called sbg
    look up sbg tutorial... on youtube.[DOUBLEPOST=1416678159][/DOUBLEPOST]youll also need starcheat and know poisitioning

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  18. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Hello.

I have a request that I'm making for a friend of mine.
    He wants the dragon in this (surprisingly thorough) reference image below to be made in pixel form, about 90 pixels in height (including wings). Pose is left to your discretion, would be a bonus if it's sprited in a similar style typical to starbound (not too many colors, high contrast between them, your choice)

rynage.jpg

Thank you. (oh and send me a private message if you complete it, I fear I'll lose it otherwise in the sea of alerts)

19. Ledain

Ledain Space Hobo

These swords look a bit like Terraria swords.[DOUBLEPOST=1416882422][/DOUBLEPOST]What program do you use to make these sprites, cause i really like them and would like to try for myself.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  20. LittleR

starcheat and starbound graphical, the download is on youtube, look up Starbound Graphical Tutorial

Plus i need to learn lua...