Space Ship Graveyard and Asteroid field.

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Threekill, Dec 15, 2012.

1. r9310

r9310 Astral Cartographer

i was thinking of something similar to random dead ships floating around :D i would love looting them completely and maybe taking apart the ship and collecting modifications for your own ship? :D.... or just expensive machines/parts would be a cool rare find.

AIex likes this.
  2. Bethor

Bethor Big Damn Hero

Nice ideas.
    The space ship graveyard I can see how this could be a nice way to harvest different kinds of technology by salvaging/reverse engineering ships.

And the Asteroid fields might actually make finding rare ores less of a choir

3. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

good ideas the ship graveyard maybe he can add critical new technologies to establish colonies or ships could enhance a insierire edited to change it aesthetically

4. Bethor

Bethor Big Damn Hero

5. Percival

Percival Phantasmal Quasar

I figure it'd still loop around. Perhaps with a weak gravity pulling you back towards the ships. As long as one ship or something of that nature served as the "core" that all the ships floated around in an orbit, it'd all work out quite nicely. I'm trying (and failing) to remember the book series that explained how ship graveyards were held together by something like a gigantic magnet, pulling in and holding the ships in it's gravity well so they wouldn't drift off into the trade routes. Something like that would work I think.

AIex and GamerGod like this.
  6. Omega-9124

Omega-9124 Industrial Terraformer

Love this idrea.

7. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

Hmm. . . It'd be neat if in these places the asteroids/chunks of ship would slowly move around, making the place rather dangerous without enemies. Though for the most part you're able to get away easily. But your base or your ship might not be able to, and depending on how you constructed it, it could be ripped apart by a collision. However, there's a few ways of getting around this:
    by building your base inside a mined-out asteroid: you'll have several meters of rock between you and the debris, but it's still able to break in half if you're unlucky.
    set up forcefields or turrets: that either hold other asteroids in place, deflect the course of oncoming asteroids, and turrets could shoot the big ones into smaller chunks that your shields can absorb easier. With this, your base doesn't take a hit, at the cost of energy.
    make an AI for your ship that dodges oncoming asteroids: so that your ship will automatically dodge asteroids that might deal lethal damage to it and leave you with half a ship and a few parts to plaster it back together before your air runs out.
    All of the above: take an asteroid, mine it out, attach engines to it, put forcefields and lasers on it, and you now have a nigh-invulnerable mining base.

8. This were suggested indeed in even more detailed topics. The last INFO it's that bartwe wanted to add this as a Stretch Goal, what means, this is not in-game or for launch.
    Then we can assume it's going to be after-launch they will wonder about such thing. ;)

9. Takeshi

Takeshi Master Chief

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, brilliant idea, and i STRONGLY suggest having asteroid fields and debris fields of abandoned ships contain hostile creatures that have stowed away . Like in these pictures ( Dawn of War - Space Hulk)

10. Blinn

Blinn Title Not Found

you could have a large asteroid as the main "planet" you land on and the ships and other asteroids could be like floating islands around it... but obviously much bigger in some cases

11. Starfire

Starfire Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If this makes it into the game I would love there to be an Easter Egg where you come across the wreck of the rebel flagship from FTL. (Possibly with one survivor, the guy trapped in the laser room;))

12. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

I want a generated giant frickin' dungeon that involves you fighting your way through a space zombie or something infested ancient station, slowly coming to the realization about what happenned to it, perhaps the station was generically researching something, maybe it's a lifeform that hitched a ride on the station, or possibly the station was a massive military flagship, and the race's enemies used some sort of biological warfare on it. Or it's a cross-dimensional ship that picked up something strange on its maiden voyage. Perhaps it never returned to its home dimension.
    Anyway, enough theorizing, what i'm suggesting is not so much an asteroid field, but a more intact ship than that. Perhaps it's even possible to turn the lights, gravity and eventually life support on in the thing as you repair its different functions.
    It's a dungeon in every way, generated by the dungeon generator, has nasty beasties in it, is dark, creepy and depressing (especially at first) and has some phat loot lying around, it might even have bosses or boss-like mechanics.
    Perhaps this is how to get a legendary tier 4 ship or something, by sifting through the wreckage, reactivating systems, repairing holes that the auto-repair can't, starting with lights, then gravity, then auto-turrets, then self-repair systems, and eventually life support, engines and navigation, you get this ancient hulk running once more.

13. Ruban Crusade

Ruban Crusade Pangalactic Porcupine

14. BluPixelz

BluPixelz Aquatic Astronaut

the space ship graveyard sounds like a good idea, if your a scavenger, you can look for parts in the spaceship!