Space Map Concepts (With pictures)

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Alvin Flummox, May 12, 2012.

?

Would you like a solar system or individual planet based design for the star map?

1. I would prefer a whole solar system displayed on the map

32 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. I would prefer to just have each planet stay separate

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Serp

Serp Zeromus

I like ideas that are good, I do not like ideas that are bad(inmyopinion)and I say why they will/won't work, some people just can't handle someone elses opinion

2. richsaver

richsaver Subatomic Cosmonaut

Would be really cool to have a whole system solar in the star map, would be fancier :)

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  3. Alvin Flummox

Alvin Flummox Existential Complex

Wow, that's some insight you have there. Here I was thinking that bad ideas were the ones to like..... I'm perfectly fine handling other peoples opinions. Afterall, everyone is entitled to think whatever they want, that's why I made a poll. It's your lack of constructive criticism that I don't like.
    Posts like this add nothing to the thread. I've seen quite a few times where you've just outright bluntly shunned an idea with no explanation for why you dislike it. If you don't like something, explain why you don't like it. What is it that you'd prefer about having an entirely non-graphical system over a graphical one?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  4. Serp

Serp Zeromus

Do you even read the replies where I say why they won't work? I think you're just not admitting that I can give opinions, now lets stop this argument, I don't want to be banned again for giving some constructive criticism

5. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

You just said that you don't like it, Nothing on WHY! No opinion. Nothing. Just saying no. with no maps I feel like i might as well be playing terraira or minecraft as those have seeds. the biggest difference would be tech. I could be going to another universe or something without maps to show me, and no maps would also be wrong, as I would SCAN the planet first, and SEE if I think it looks nice.

6. Serp

Serp Zeromus

I didn't say that I didn't like it, stop manipulating my words

7. Alvin Flummox

I think it's the lack there of that probably resulted in that. No one is going to ban you for being constructive, that's the idea of a suggestion forum. You said that you'd prefer a non-graphical system, yet you seem adamant not to give any reasons why. Ofcourse you can have an opinion, but simply stating your opinion with no reasoning adds nothing to the thread. A simple 'because' would suffice.

If you aren't going to add anything constructive then please stop posting here. If you want to continue to argue just send me a message and we can move it off the thread.

Bonoshman and Jimlad 42 like this.
  8. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Considering planetgen is supposedly nigh-infinite, putting all of them on one map would be very hard to do. Maybe if the coordinates made the map whisk to that area of planets, and display the nearby ones?

If that happened, you could potentially start from one random planet and spread out to explore the ones nearby, which I think is fabulous.

9. Alvin Flummox

That's why I'm suggesting solar systems ;) Limited to say 8 planets each for example. Co-ordinates then just generate these solar systems instead of individual planets, but to move to another set of planets you would still have to enter another set of co-ordinates. It would be awesome to have it spore style where you could move between everything and explore without being forced to enter other co-ordinates though.

10. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

It's a really nice idea to be fair, but I'm beginning to wonder how viable it would be to implement. That would mean generating 8 or so planets per seed instead of just one - and that would mean that each seed would need to generate subseeds in order to make those planets different from each other.

11. Alvin Flummox

Yeah that's the main problem, it would require a complete overhaul of a system that they've probably already completely finished :/ It's unlikely to happen but oh well! Each planet in the solar system would have to be given its own short, say 3 letter, code, which could then be mixed with the co-ordinates and used to produce a unique planet. This way, even if 2 planets in different solar systems were given the same 3 letter code, they would be completely different.

That's mainly why I suggested a system for individual planets too, just so there could be some kind of graphical interface to make everything a little bit prettier :)

12. Gumdrop Meadowz

Gumdrop Meadowz Cosmic Narwhal

Regardless of what's used, this thread just made my crazed eagerness level for Starbound rise 7 points above "safe".

Jimlad 42 and Alvin Flummox like this.
  13. Serp

Serp Zeromus

I'mma leave then :cry:

14. Neko

Neko Astral Cartographer

Solar System... Yes! That would be clever.

15. Aer_

Aer_ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow interesting idea, the UI design also neat!

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  16. Omegatron

Omegatron Aquatic Astronaut

Your drawing kinda looks like the Sporepedia, which I like! I am not sure if the developers will redo what they have been working on, but I hope that this or something similar to this is implemented. I would like to keep everything nice and neat.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  17. Mad Ninja

Mad Ninja Void-Bound Voyager

nice idea, i'd like the menus to be similar to spore, but not exactly the same. Although it is a good idea, your drawings confuse me. Not because they are ruff and scribbley, but there are so many features it makes it look messy. When you first approach the planet it should have the planets name, biome type and how habitable it is (in percentage). This habitable rating thing would kinda be similar to a difficulty rating, although it would be how easy it is to build/mine on it and whether you and/or NPCs need special equipment (Eg a space suit) to live on it. Other than that, i would HATE the game to not have a visual map, so great idea!

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  18. Zailiner

Zailiner Over 9000!!!

Rare find-
    detailed suggestion!

Hey, Alvin Flummox, this is a very well written post. So kudos to you on that, I also enjoyed the images very much.
    Now onto my thoughts on this,
    I'm thinking that everything about the planet should just be - "???" before you land on that planet for the first time. You've already got some aspects of this feature but not fully.
    Knowing what threat level the planet you're going on will give you a basic idea of how you should prepare, but it removes the feeling of risk and mystery which I crave.

Favouriting planets, most visited systems etc. is a great idea. I love it.

19. Alvin Flummox

Yeah, my drawings probably don't help it exactly look organised either though :confused: I have said that those will be obvious, but you cannot approach a planet per se as you wouldn't be in control of your ship or anything. So it would just show the whole solar system at once, and show the name and threat level (which is the confirmed way of measuring difficulty) underneath each in small writing. The biome type would also be recognisable from the planets picture. I guess it could only show them underneath when you actually click on a planet so it looks a bit less cluttered, but it would just be easier to compare planets if it showed them all at once.

I didn't personally like the idea of telling the players too much information before they'd actually been to the planet themselves so that it maintained an air of mystery (ie special equipment required and things) and (not to be a hypocrite. Ok a little bit) I didn't want it to be too cluttered. If there was that much writing under the planets then it would start to overwhelm the picture a bit!

Thanks for reading!

Thanks a lot :) Yeah I did think about making the threat level unknown as well, however I decided it might annoy players more than it would add to the mystery. If you had no idea about the difficulty it could take you a very long time to find a planet that was even vaguely within your difficulty range, especially at the start of the game. This could get infuriating when you just want to jump into actually playing the game and not keep entering and leaving planets over and over.

I've just had the thought that maybe it could just be displayed in rough bands though, instead of the individual threat level. So planets would either have 0-20, 20-40 etc up to 100. It would then be narrowed down once you've killed a few creatures and explored a bit and stuff. This way it would give players a rough idea of the planets threat level so they either don't get mullered straight away, or don't enter stupidly easy planets when they're high level, but also keep the mystery factor :)

Zailiner likes this.
  20. xboy777

xboy777 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like this idea!

Personally, I think it would be much more interesting for undiscovered planets to be blank with question marks because seeing the variety of different planets would, being a very indecisive person, make my head spin. Plus I would love the anticipation that builds when heading down to an undiscovered planet for the first time and not knowing what you'll find and the excitement that comes from actually landing and taking your first steps onto the surface.

If the planet has any crazy conditions that require equipment, it should tell you before departing to its surface and make it where you need that equipment on you to proceed.