1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Space edge?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Draaft waf, May 1, 2017.

1. Draaft waf

Draaft waf Intergalactic Tourist

I played starbound for two years now.
    But i still wondering, is there an edge of the space map? The map where you see star, do that map have edge or corner?​

2. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Nah, it just won't get past certain coordinates

3. WallyBW93

WallyBW93 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I also heard from another guy here that the planet names are strange out of the coordinate zone.

4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

I thought it just looped around.

5. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

We must know. Prepare the ship, we're going to the edge of space.

6. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

It seems to just keep going, and going, and going.
    Starbound's "universe" (oddly made of a single mega-galaxy? A universal star-cluster? hmm) doesn't really seem to end, but it probably has some point where it just stops generating stuff correctly.

7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Nope. It will keep on scrolling.

The navigation menu is limited to inputs of -999,999,999 through 999,999,999 on both the X and Y, but it is possible to scroll manually past that. there is a technical limit to the size of the universe, but we could never realistically reach that.

8. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

That's what I meant x)
    It's quite like Minecraft
    Tho, I'm curious if there farlanders x)

9. lazarus78

Minecraft actually has a forced limit of +-30,000,000

10. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

I know, but I wonder about Starbound :D

11. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

I guess the coordinates are in the range of a signed int32 datatype which means -2.147.483.647 to 2.147.483.647 for x and y. Exceeding this limit will either cause a crash or it will go from the max value to the min value and vice versa and continue there.
    Basically when exceeding 2.147.483.647 it will continue at -2.147.483.647 unless it crashes (or it is handled and scrolling in that direction will be blocked).

~ Iris ~

12. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

I really hope someone is trying right now.

13. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

so we possibly have a donut shaped universe.

14. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

More like a square. But the amount of the systems in the normal reachable area is high enough so i don't think there is any need to exceed the normal "border". ^-^
    If i find some time i can check if the border is at the value i'm assuming. Unless someone else want to check it xD

~ Iris ~

15. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

atm, yes, but if we culd cross borders (at the range of values) and it would restart on the other side of it, it would be a donut)

16. lazarus78

It wouldn't be a doughnut, since if it did repeat, it would repeat in any direction. Plus, a doughnut is a 3D shape (Torus), and the universe in this game is 2D.

17. sirpixellot

sirpixellot Scruffy Nerf-Herder

back in late alpha to early beta, there were tiered "universes", but it seemed like each tier was a different galaxy instead

other than that, maybe the galaxies fell apart and the solar systems were scattered everywhere

18. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

This is one of the few old features that I really wish they didn't remove.
    If we could.. turn it back on?
    Frackin' Universe could use its own "Sector", we could have the "threat-free sector" that was mentioned when talking about adding colonies, the reworked Sector X (which was what the Black Hole Portal at the outpost was supposed to unlock), adding an entire universe of max level planets of all biomes with added tentacle sub-biomes to every world...
    Ahh I miss it.

The first release(s?) also had 100 levels of planets (which was cool, if excessive).
    They cut it down to 10 levels (I think the game still supports 11 levels, but our gear and planets only go to like.. level 6 right now, iirc) when they removed "Armor Penetration" and added health-that-isn't-exactly-100-always.

19. sirpixellot

sirpixellot Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh the good o'l days

20. Tlactl

Tlactl Cosmic Narwhal

I went to the edge of the navigation console at X -999999999 Y 999999999 and just put two magnets on my ^ and < keys. I came back after a few hours and all the systems and terrain on planets looked normal. Apparently every race in the game has colonized even the most remote reaches of the universe

Last edited: May 28, 2017