1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

[SOLVED]No luck on running the game since v1.0 release [Details Below]

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by pipirupi123, Aug 2, 2016.

1. tenchi24

tenchi24 Intergalactic Tourist

that would make sense seeing as its crashing at SDL sound, I also have realtek, I'll try a few different drivers. It's sad cause theres tons of people on the steam forums and this thread has had 100s of views now and not even a mod has said anything. Considering its not been fixed in 4 patches (think the last patch was to fix problems their patch caused..patch patch.)it probably wont be fixed anytime soon.

2. pipirupi123

pipirupi123 Void-Bound Voyager

I uninstalled my Realtek Audio Driver and its software and let Windows install a generic HD audio driver...didnt work problem still persist

3. Kulsius

Kulsius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Guys, what versions of Visual Studio and VCredist you have?
    (I see 2012 Ultimate, but might you try new Community version on top?)
    Whole sound thing is interesting. Do you use GameDVR in xbox app?

4. IlGranTrebeobia

IlGranTrebeobia Big Damn Hero

the devs should give us some insight... I mean, the logs must be pointing somewhere more specific to them... :wot:

5. pipirupi123

I do have the community posted version (the one thats encirled) and the Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate is just a progamming software i use for C# programming (just automation software for the office nothing special)

6. Geth270

Geth270 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-2119014/fix-access-violation-address-error.html
    http://knowledgebase.datacolor.com/article-629.html

Just did a little research on what the Access Violation error actually means.
    It looks like Starbound is trying to use memory that has been already reserved by something else.
    From what I found this usually happens when one of two programs is damaged or could be due to a virus occupying a space in memory.
    You could try reinstalling Starbound (but you probably already did), do a virus scan or look for other software/drivers that could be damaged.

looking at this screenshot you have a lot more stuff installed/connected to the pc than I do on my fresh install of W7 and just for contrast this is what it looks like for me:
    [​IMG]

The error here is pointing towards an address 00000064, I'm not an expert but you can inspect individual devices for their address by right clicking one, going to the "Details" tab and selecting "Address" from the property drop down box. Its rather tedious but maybe you'll find something matching that could be causing a conflict.
    [​IMG]
    For me the values are usually between 00000000 - 00000006 with the exception of my monitor which has 00000111, and it is a bit of an odd display (HUION-GT185HD). Maybe you have like LEDs in your PC or something else connected that you don't even know of.

You could also try updating the 0x00000064 Microsoft ACPI driver
    [​IMG]
    I can't tell you if this has any relation but no harm in trying.

7. Quait

Quait Void-Bound Voyager

I dare say, EVERY CPU in desktop PCs and laptops released today and for the past few years is a multicore CPU, so that sentence does not make any sense...

8. Quait

Quait Void-Bound Voyager

Your post made alot more sense than many ideas I saw about this access violation error in this forum, so I gave it a try:
    I could not find any device in the hardware manager that matched the address of my error (number 64), I have ~10 devices installed that were not on address 0 to 6. None of those were even close to the number 64.
    Your second guesswith the ACPI driver: the same as in your image you linked, "newest driver already installed".

I once before checked the error and found the same information you wrote, memory reserved by something else. I did not think in the direction of checking hardware with that address. I thought more into the direction of the program tries to read memory that is not allocated to the application, most likely an error on the devs side.

I bought the game way back in July 2014, tested it a few times over the years, last time ~a year ago, and never had any problem. Now on realease 1.0 the game crashes instantly / wont even start and I'm reading about the devs switching to OpenGL or something without even testing it enough. They had the game in development for over 2 years and make that major change in the last few weeks(months? I dont know actually when) before release? that has to make alot of problems

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  9. pipirupi123

I tried this on both my laptop and dekstop (since my desktop also suffers from the exact same error with the exact same address), my resaults are similar to Quaits...i could not find any hardware that matches the address 00000064 and I also did the driver update check on the ACPI driver which reported upto date on both machines

10. Geth270

Welp, at least we know it's most likely none of this. Also have you tried scanning for viruses? I just simply don't think the problem is on the Starbound side of thing, I'm not a programming god but I did a 2 year course in it and from my experience you never choose where you allocate the space in memory, just define the data type (the amount of necessary space) and windows should do it for you (it may be different for larger programs, I don't know). Especially since the access violation very specific to the users computer I just think it's much more likely that there is a damaged or malicious software on your pc rather than starbound being an issue, and also if it was in fact starbound that has memory allocation problems I think there would be a lot more people experiencing this if not all.

11. Geth270

You could try This free memory cleaner, clear the system cache and trim processes working set, then attempt to run starbound.
    Also if you could provide me with a screenshot(s) of your running processes in task manager, so I can compare them to mine and see if there is anything suspicious or not necessary (god I feel like a tech support scammer lol)

12. tenchi24

I saw some stuff about cold booting that fixed some of the access violation errors that were actually down to Starbound using memory it shouldn't. However I think this is different. Its crashing when initializing part of VC, SDL Sound.

13. Geth270

That's true but if it can initialize those components for so many people and the game runs just fine, the only options that come to mind are
    A. People with the error have outdated VC
    B. The VC is damaged or only partially installed (I know for a fact that certains .dll require specific windows updates before they can be installed, I ran into this problem my self when trying to install it before most of the 700+ updates ware downloaded and installed and the setup got stuck for me at windows7_msu_x64, but the VC would remain installed without it when cancelling the installation. After a bit of resarch I found out that some dll required some specific update[can't remember the details]. Also using "repair setup" did nothing and just told me that the software is already installed so I had to manually uninstall it and install it again, maybe steam attempted to install it for them when certain windows updates ware not in place so I'd recommend trying to remove it completely and installing fresh just for the heck of it)
    C. There is other software installed that's in some way incompatible and causing conflicts (including potential malware).
    D. Memory leaks, maybe? The reason why I personally went back to W7 from W10 is because it had retarded amounts of memory leaks, can't tell if I just got unlucky with the "upgrade" or if its consistant, and since I had the issue my self I did some research on it and it turned out that a lot of people ware experiencing memory leaks in W10 (some more than others, some less). I've tried a lot of fixes but none of them worked for me so I just went back to W7 (not to fun to have your 16GB of ram fill up to 90% and crash your PC every 4-8h). Now I was able to still run starbound on that install without issues but since this error is related to memory maybe it also depends on what causes the memory leak.

Ofc it could still be something on the starbound side, where it's incompatible with some hardware that they are using but the only way to find out about that would be for them to install windows fresh and try to run it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  14. tenchi24

I'm W7 SP1 all updates, have tried newer and older VC and the ones stickied. It gives the same error in safe mode as well, so I doubt its a peripheral. People have the same error on W7 W8 and 10.

15. pipirupi123

I ran a complete scan using Avast and MBAM of both machines (Laptop and Desktop) and found no malicious content,both machines OS is upto date (Windows 8.1),both are using the Visual C++ 2015 found in the stickied thread, both have a fresh install of Starbound. I really doubt its a hardware issue as both my machines have no similar physical components and yet the error code points to the exact same address on both machines also as tenchi24 reported a safe mode run gives the same result

16. IlGranTrebeobia

IlGranTrebeobia Big Damn Hero

I've even try using one ram stick at a time and various other tests, it's not them...

It seems that we all (?) have intel i7 and geforce from 6xx to 9xx :ninja:

17. Quait

Quait Void-Bound Voyager

I7, Geforce 780 heavy overclocked but completely stable for years now (no problem on that part, never had one)

18. tenchi24

970 here, I'm guessing it could be that starbound is incompatible with certain onboard sound devices, ie realtek? Thats the only similar thing we could have across different set ups with different OS. I know it works on my windows tablet, running 10. That uses onboard graphics and some mobile sound chip. Also still not even a mod, what is this.

19. Geth270

It would be good if you guys could post a more specific description of your hardware (I know some already did), but I'd like to know the motherboards as well and their manufacturer. Here is a guide on how to check you exact motherboard model and manufacturer, I'll also attach a GIF.
    [​IMG]

Just as an example I'll put down my rig specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5 - 4690
    Graphics: ASUS Turbo GeForce GTX 970
    RAM: 16GB (2 x 8GB ) HyperXFury
    Motherboard: mini itx ASUS h81i-PLUS

Motherboards tend to have drivers specific to them and provided by the manufacturer, but just like anything they have bugs and get new versions, except they aren't always auto updated, so maybe some of those are outdated.

It's also interesting that a lot of you have an i7 processor and experience this issue, I'd just like to know if there is anything else in common between your hardware. @pipirupi123 does your desktop also have an i7?
    I don't think GPU is the culprit here tbh, GT650M is a completely different league of graphics cards than newer GTX9xx. That and the fact that the game runs perfect for me on 970 while it does not for two of you.

I have a very stupid idea for the CPU, so stupid in fact that I don't even want to share what it is(well the potential cause for the error I came up with at least), but I'd like you to test disabling cores on your CPU (down to 1) and trying to run the game, it's nothing scary and it's easy to do just follow the guide Here.
    (I hope it's the same for W10/W8.1 since the guide doesn't cover those, and don't forget to restart your PC for this to take effect)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  20. pipirupi123

already tried it awhile back by using a shortcut parameter to set Starbounds CPU Affinity to only use 1 core instead of all (cmd.exe /c start "Starbound" /affinity 1[<-this sets it to only use Core 0] "C:\blahblahblah all the way to starbound.exe")..still no dice

anywho~
    [Desktop Specs]
    Processor: Intel i7-6700k
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX980Ti Palit Super Jetstream 6GB edition
    RAM: 16GB [x2 DDR4 8gb sticks] HyperXFury
    Motherboard: ASUS Z170-DELUXE

[Laptop Specs]
    Processor: Intel i7-3630QM
    Graphics: x2 Nvidia GT650M
    RAM: 8GB [x2 DDR3 4gb sticks]
    Motherboard: its showing invalid most likely due to a BIOS issue..I'll reflash the BIOS eventually lol