1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So why do the floran hate the Hylotl?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Neonir, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Locklave

Locklave Phantasmal Quasar

Because it's how people really feel about things, there's a value in understanding it.

Polar yes, but not to such extremes. Maybe halfway to those examples in terms of severity.

In old D&D (early editions) Orcs and Goblins are almost pure evil. Florans are closer to Neutral then evil, they try to be nice sometimes they are just impulsive and react on instinct which causes trouble. Orcs/goblins from those games think torture/rape/murder/stealing/slavery are wonderful ways to spend a warm summer day.

Hylotl are kinda like High Elves with them looking down their nose at you always because they believe they are superior.

2. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Everyone dislikes Orcs/Goblins though. Florans and Glitch are okay with each other.
    Elves dislike Dwarves with a passion.

Locklave likes this.
  3. Dr. Toros

Dr. Toros Existential Complex

Later views of certain orcs paint them as a proud warrior people.

Floran are more like goblins. They think might makes right without any hesitation towards dishonorable combat. They also eat everything and if left unchecked multiply until they become a massive threat.

It's probably most similar to compare floran to warhammer orcs and hylotl to first age Tolkien elves. What with the forging of anti-floran weapons and all.

4. TonyKuremento

TonyKuremento Phantasmal Quasar

Just because it is how people feel doesn't make it any the more right. Imagine this, the Florans take to television, they have their own version of Scrubs. The lead actor then states if given the chance he would cook all Hylotl in ovens. Like I said, a bunch of bigotry of the prejudicial variety.

Locklave likes this.
  5. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

I wanted to make a note this is a hilarious example.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    Locklave likes this.
  6. TonyKuremento

TonyKuremento Phantasmal Quasar

I was trying to make a parallel to the Russian actor who wants to put gays in ovens. Is it still funny?

7. Locklave

What time is that show on?

RexBox and Farathil like this.
  8. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

*Crickets*

Locklave likes this.
  9. Locklave

Orcs/goblins in D&D are cut throat even among their own kind. Chaotic Evil in nearly all D&D lore, no honor, no rules... hell they didn't even have towns like normal races because they were lazy/stupid/violent. So I certainly agree they aren't like the Orcs/Goblins from D&D.

Ya that's very true about the Glitch and Florans, they are extremely friendly with one another. I was reading some lore saying the Glitch had been teaching them to read. In game responses from Glitch to Floran and Floran to Glitch is far warmer/happier then any other races. There's gotta be some cultural reason why they like each other so much, because they clearly enjoy the other races company.

Normally Glitch are stuck in a medieval mindset, players being the rare exception. That's likely got something to do with it. Florans not seeing Glitch as food doesn't mean they'd like them personally, but they do. Maybe the blunt way both Floran and Glitch talk has something to do with it.

Speech patterns might be a big deal to the Florans, might explain why the Hylotl piss them off so much.

Farathil likes this.
  10. Dr. Toros

Glitch and Floran have a lot in common. They both are technologically behind other species, favor melee combat, and their lives have a communal focus. (village vs brothers in arms)

Add in that the glitch are not a viable floran food source and you've several reasons they'd get along.

Locklave likes this.
  11. Locklave

Both the Glitch and Florans are highly aggressive races, that could lead them to conflict but it doesn't. Things in common makes staying friendly easier but how did it reach that point? I should point out Glitch are more bloodthirsty within their own ranks the Floran and sometimes kill one another for higher ranks. Example I've read about would be a Knight turning on the king to replace him. Floran have no such behavior.

Leadership for Floran is about achievement. Example the Floran with the most bones of enemies is considered the leader of a town/village. Different Floran villages might fight and kill each other over hunting grounds but I've read nothing to support the idea of Floran fighting or killing one another. Certainly not something can can say about any other race in the game.

This does however make me think of something, Hylotl find the Florans bone furniture vile and sickening. Given that Floran view collection Bones as a sign of skill and rank that would certainly create one really big reason for them to hate each other. When you play as a Hylotl and you use the inspect tool on bone made anything you get a very negative emotional response. Imagine telling a Floran you just met that the thing they take the most pride in and the thing that earns them respect from every other Floran in the villages is disgusting. "FLORAN SSSTAB MEAN FISH!" springs to mind.

Dust likes this.
  12. Locklave

On a side note my Apex's house is filled with Floran bone furniture. Love the way that stuff looks, I wish I had a bed like that in real life.

Farathil likes this.
  13. Dr. Toros

Not only to floran fight and kill each other, they cannibalize as well.

http://starbounder.org/Cannibal's_Set

14. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Thought I should throw in some visual concepts to keep track of the race relations.
    If anything needs to be changed just tell me.
    [​IMG]

Locklave likes this.
  15. Dr. Toros

k

looks pretty accurate to me.

16. Locklave

rofl, that's just a armor set name with flavor text. hmmmm might even be a Easter egg.

Set names don't equal lore.

17. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

No it is actually race armor. : o
    It was stated when they were first released too that they were cannibalistic.

18. Locklave

Left side is played top is encountered?

19. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Uh.. wat?

20. Locklave

I agree it's race armor but the set name doesn't mean it's correct to race lore. You could have a set called the baby killer but it doesn't mean the race kills baby's.

edit: really sleepy sorry if I'm getting harder to understand lol.