1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So why do the floran hate the Hylotl?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Neonir, Jan 5, 2014.

1. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

Excelent! With so many Florans, one restaurant is not enough.

Farathil likes this.
  2. AcetheGolden

AcetheGolden Subatomic Cosmonaut

Mainly because the Floran's chief strategy when meeting...anything, amounts to

L. F. Oxidizer and LastDay like this.
  3. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Well usually it works. In the case you have shown in the video it did work. The red marauder was defeated by the blue human, just by muttering the word "stab".
    He has a heart of a true Floran.

Sh4dowWalker96 and Colaymorak like this.
  4. Locklave

Locklave Phantasmal Quasar

I think the Floran reactions to Apex says alot about their thinking. The Apex are aggressive and powerful, Florans seem to be respectful and concerned enough to state they won't stab the Apex. Florans seem to respect power, strength and the willingness to use power and strength. Hylotl might be strong and might have power but as a race they avoid using it preferring peace, the Floran likely see them as weak and unworthy at best and prey at worst.

Predators avoid each other in nature unless they are starving or fighting over territory, the Apex are likely viewed as another predator where the Hylotl aren't.

It could be both or one of those reasons.

1. Culture conflict - War vs. Peace
    2. Natural world view - Predators vs. Prey

The theme is similar in both cases.

5. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Good theory. Covered topic well.
    If the Predator vs. Prey theory were true, green finger wouldn't have stated that there is a law that all travelers may not be harmed inside a Floran village. This inferring that they need to be protected. Why would a wolf protect a rabbit when it's more useful to consume it?

Locklave likes this.
  6. Locklave

Military/Hunting cultures tend to have hard set rules of conduct to prevent them from killing each other. They are at very least a tribal level society, trade still happens between them and other tribes/races not to mention fighting in town is a great way to wreck the town. Remember they have merchants and use pixels.

That's why I think it might be a mix of culture and nature.

Farathil likes this.
  7. TheFloranChef

I changed my inventory with one of the mods and got a few Hylotl spawners. Florans hate Hylotls, but the feeling is mutual:

"Just being near you is harrowing."
    "We Hylotl believe in tolerance... except when it comes to Florans."
    "I'm outraged of you being here."
    "Oh great, the plants are talking again."

Maybe they are angry because of what I'm doing:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  8. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Pressure cooking. Tenderizing and broiling. *takes notes*

Locklave likes this.
  9. Locklave

omg priceless!!!!

10. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

I'm making good on my promise
    [​IMG]

Got more stuff to do will add onto this little album later.

TheFloranChef and Locklave like this.
  11. TheFloranChef

Very nice! You are doing it correctly. First gather some food and then build the restaurant. Building makes me hungry. You will probably feel the same.

You gave me good ideas for the aquarium. :up:

Farathil likes this.
  12. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

@TheFloranChef Done! it was a pain in the arse, but I got all the details I wanted correctly and I am happy how it turned out.
    [​IMG]
    For all who ask this wasn't legit. I used creative.

13. Ttariel

Ttariel Big Damn Hero

When florans started to find out about advanced travel they started to catch up with the unkown as soon as possible.
    After years and years they finaly found something of interest it was form block filled with many thin layers of dead trees.

Breakdance was written on it ,showing the only way for true enlightenment and the florans knew they found the biggest treasure ever lost.
    Soon it would be the only way to live for them, teached in the tree schools, talked about in the home.

Time goes by and the norm of the breakdance is already in the DNA of the floran race, why big joy they would find out about the "dance battle" hosted by the hyotle.

Of course they would join and try to show the rest of reality what it means to brainwash pancakes, but the battle would have a cost. Losing the match loses the dance.

The battle was lost because it turns out florans cant dance for shit and so losing the right to breakdance.
    This was the spark giving birth to the rage against the machine hyotle, replacing the urge to dance with the urge to eat. Before the last beat was given by the DJ a floran full of anger shouts out " tis be bullshit " grabbing the fish next to him ramming his teeth in the soft flesh tasting the salty blood.

The dancefloor no longer a place for the joy of motion but a field for body parts and ketchup, a little bit of lemon and onion too, a nice red wine (rose sweet).

Nobody would have known about this nightmare if not for the brave little toaster who catched all of it with his HD Eye Poneā„¢ posting it on space book.

The rest of the races would see it and ask the floran people " dude wtf ? " for the rest of the time.
    But not so the Novakids because they cant remember anything as soon as they see something shiny.....

The End

What did we learn ?
    Yoghurt has no hair, also i may or may not be semi high on the pain pills i have to take atm.

L. F. Oxidizer likes this.
  14. TheFloranChef

Awesome! They should include a Floran restaurant as one of the Floran dungeons in the game.

Good choice of details, like the wall panels in the kitchen.

There is even a Hylotl chef! You see, nobody can deny that they are tasty.

Farathil likes this.
  15. SUPPERJOMAN

SUPPERJOMAN Space Spelunker

Hytotl are vegans, and the Floran are plants, Its brilliant if you think about it.

16. Lunato

Lunato Void-Bound Voyager

I would honestly say it's either a joke on this song:

Or it has to do with the fact that the Floran ran them off of their planet, and I'm sure Hylotls struck back.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  17. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

I did not notice that. :p

18. Avaruu

Avaruu Void-Bound Voyager

If the Hylotl are an aquatic species, and everything I've seen implies they live down in the oceans, how did a land species like the Floran give them trouble?

I probably missed some lore somewhere, but that's been nagging at me.

After I posted this I tabbed back ingame and destroyed one of my villagers with an involuntary swing of my hammer. :(

Dust likes this.
  19. Sir Orange

Sir Orange Ketchup Robot

Long story short, the florans ate a good bunch of the hylotl. The hylotl are complete assholes towards florans and glitches, not sure about the rest.

20. TheFloranChef

Creative mode here, as well.

Attached Files:

Locklave and Zylphe like this.