1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So why do the floran hate the Hylotl?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Neonir, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Ginpowder

Ginpowder Space Hobo

All races have some kind of war/rivalry going on with other races, or their own system. And we Novakids are just travling threw space, don't giving a f :^)

2. Avian Village Guard

Avian Village Guard Void-Bound Voyager

I honestly just think they were the first species they saw that wasn't Floran and saw them as an easy target.

ladyKAE likes this.
  3. yclatious

yclatious Guest

This was a thread that ended in July, why are you people bringing it up again.

4. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

This debate will never end.

5. ScrubNiggurath

ScrubNiggurath Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Theory: Floran view hylotl as the hunt that got away, Everytime they see a hylotl they're reminded that their prey escaped their genocidal hunts and as such want to finish the job.

It doesn't make sense for them to hate vegetarians because they are cannibals themselves, If anything a floran would admire a hylotl for eating a floran.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  6. Nalano

Nalano Big Damn Hero

Floran don't hate food. Floran love food. Floran confused by the quessstion.

7. Alexthe666

Alexthe666 Starship Captain

Unlike all the other races, Hylotl are very, very boorish. So boorish it hurts. This probably hurts Florans more as they are very primitive, and probably did not respect being looked down upon.

Also, they seem to hate oceans? Maybe this is because saltwater kills terrestrial plants. A giant fish covered in sticky saltwater would be dangerous to the Floran.

8. Ablekaine

Ablekaine Pangalactic Porcupine

Well the Hylotl hate Floran because they drove them off their planet, but I'm not sure that Florans HATE Hylotl per se-but I do think they lack respect for them as the Hylotl ARE a pacifist race-which to the warlike Floran would seem weak and silly. But to be fair, there was lore (Don't know if it's still relevant) that Avian used Hylotl in their sacrifice rites, presumably because they were easy to snag as a peaceful race, so Hylotl resent Avians a bit too?

9. BillyBobson

BillyBobson Void-Bound Voyager

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but to my knowledge the Florans nearly made the Hylotl extinct purely because they are carnivores that eat meat, and so that's why they hate each other. Filthy Florans...

10. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

because a hyotl doesn'T feed a floran that logn and so they go out and need to eat more fishhhhhhhhh

11. Hellcorn

Hellcorn Astral Cartographer

We did it becausssssse the greenfinger wanted sssssussssshi

BillyBobson likes this.
  12. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

You know how the Hylotl have an absolute fetish for paper lights and furniture?

And you know how paper is made by waterlogging plants and then mashing them to a pulp?

And you know how you never see any baby Florans?

Yeah.

SenikCouper likes this.
  13. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

because they plop out of giant pods, thats why (respawn sequence)

14. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Just thought I'd pop in and mention that I don't think the new "revamped" lore has any indications that the Florans still hate the Hylotl.
    They see them about the same as any other race.
    In fact it's suggested that the Florans don't even remember that there was a conflict between them once.

15. Nalano

Nalano Big Damn Hero

Floran confusssed about talk of "conflict." Isss floran nature to hunt. If floran hunt fishmen, floran in balance with nature. Therefore there isss no conflict!

BillyBobson likes this.
  16. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

Why are you calling it a conflict? Is that what you have when you go to a restaurant?

Marxon likes this.
  17. Nalano

Nalano Big Damn Hero

Floran hasss great idea for ressstaurant: Patron goesss to ressstaurant, bringsss meat, saysss "cook thisss." Ressstaurant cooksss meat to patron ssspecificationsss.

Only rule isss meat cannot be other patronsss.

Marxon and BillyBobson like this.
  18. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Well I'm not much on seafood but that's beside the point...
    *Ponders ways to explain*

19. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

there is no conflict, and never was, there is just the food chain.

TheFloranChef likes this.
  20. Dante1120

Dante1120 Astral Cartographer

THE ONLY ANSWER IS THE CRUSADE! BURN AND PILLAGE THE INFERIORS!