1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So why do the floran hate the Hylotl?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Neonir, Jan 5, 2014.

1. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Since the hylotl can not breath endless underwater, the drowning feature would still work as a torture (but not very successful).
    Actually, looking at this torture device, the only way it works is sticking it into someones butt and blowing water into someones body. The suffering may come more by the pain of preassure emitted in your body than the water itself by beeing water (sweet or salty). So I guess Hylotl are immune to it because they are used to the high water pressure in depth of oceans.

But even this again would not explain how the florans could driven the Hylotl off their planet. This would more or less have required some ecological catastrophe destroying the native biome of the Hylotl's. Maybe even brought unintended.

2. Villhelm

Villhelm Phantasmal Quasar

dry sap

3. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

possible since it is quite unknown what other sideffect it has and if it may ariginate somehow with tentacles or corruption.

4. DWAlpha

DWAlpha Pangalactic Porcupine

The Hylotl were peaceful. they had little or no use for weaponry so when the savage war-like Florans appeared they were ill equipped to defend themselves. It would be like Amazonian Cannibals attacking Buddhist monks.

as for the torture device, plants that don't have a salt tolerance will slowly die over time when exposed to saltwater. For the florans the saltwater would be leeching moisture out of them slowly and as plants they need water.

5. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

but then the device would not be shaped like this and a simple pool of water or giving the saltwater as drink would have a similar if not even more effective result. sense of a torture is causing pain or fear. And simply "dehydrating" this way would alos simply work by not giving them anything to drink.

6. DWAlpha

DWAlpha Pangalactic Porcupine

not if it was eating at you from the inside. Plants absorb water they don't drink it per-say. it would be like injecting a slow working poison into your veins everyday that won't kill you immediately but can do so over a long period of time.

It would be a slow torturous death if you weren't given something to counteract it every now and then (or given a reprieve from the torture device in the case of the Floran).

it also depends on the method of torture. slow torture would be something used as a punishment of some kind, where as quick torture iscould be ore for extracting information.
    For the Florans in the prison I'd say it was meant to be a punishment.

7. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

And for punishement the salt water injection would not really work that much at all.

8. Villhelm

if you spectate the apex tesla spike as a hylotl he says ''similar devices are used defensively beneath the ocean. the hylotl build moats of electricity to keep intruders out''

9. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

electricity beneath the ocean? somehow needs to tell me how that may work.

10. Villhelm

11. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

or maybe thats why defence failed vs floran.

They set it up,
    They never tested it
    It failed
    They lost their home

WAIIIT I know how it happened, now its all clear, so clear

they set up a huuuuge tesla defence system
    A floran landed, sliped and fell in the water.
    A hylotl paniced
    "Oh noez we are under attack"
    They switched the Tesla defense on
    Cooked their whole civilization and everything in that ocean
    All the Florans across the galaxy got attracted by the smell of a giant fish soup planet

The few hylotl that survived saw the masses of Florans thought it was an invasion and started blaming the Floran

12. VinchenzoJackal

VinchenzoJackal Big Damn Hero

Well, Hytlol are known for being a peace loving species that is arrogant, proud, and toss insults at all other races.
    If you ever played a non-Hytlol and talked to a Hytlol NPC... you'd notice the Hytlol seem to be incredibly hostile verbally towards all races.
    This doesn't make much sense that in game the peace loving water dwellers toss insults at all races they deem inferior, which is all of them.
    I believe that the Hytlol may all be a bunch of racial supremacists... and as such angered the Florians through the abusive verbal chatter they commonly deploy.
    While the Hytlol say insults to all beings they encounter, they never want war, they may be arrogant cocky bastards, but they still acknowledge other races as people...
    It is likely Hytlol started the war by accident. Because the Hytlol do not know any way of communication with all life other than insulting them, it led to the water-world home being destroyed brutally, harshly, and mercilessly.
    I sympathize with both the Florians and Hytlol. They are both races that are completely different forms of savages locked into an eternal war until one of them ceases their savage ways... which seems unlikely sadly...

Tamorr likes this.
  13. MoonLitBlaze

MoonLitBlaze Big Damn Hero

Makes no since how to florans dive to the deep ocean without proper gear? Unless they received help from the Apex it seems unlikely that florans could destroy the entire hylotl homeworld. plus how could barbaric vegetable with a stick but a steel Samurai?? lol the world may never know

14. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The floran are apparently remarkable reverse engineers. They are capable of figuring out how to use just about any technology they get their hands on. I'd imagine they stole some of the hylotl deep sea gear.

15. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

still amkes rarely sense what the Flronas want on the bottom of the ocean. I still guess they causd some ecological stuff to screw the hylotls.

16. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

From what little we have, I believe the hylotl attempted a mass extinction of the floran in some form. Be it a biological weapon or systematically trying to take out the various leaders. As posted earlier in the thread there are hints from various floran about what the 'hylotl attempted to do' without telling the player what they had done. So my guess is they deliberately wanted to expunge the hylotl from their homeworld.

I blame Greenfinger.

17. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

But this would require the florans to have a kind of mass disciplined like Force in which they act. I wonder if this, "by the tribal nature" of the Florans, is even possible. Otherwise sounds like greenfinger called for a WAAAGH!

18. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

I said it before, the Florans are Tribal, like the old Native American tribes. They know how to use tools and weapons, can reverse engineer technology for their own ends, and when properly motivated, will unite to do their best to wipe out a threat.

Tamorr likes this.
  19. Sirsir94

Sirsir94 Orbital Explorer

Where are the Hylotl NPCs? The only one I have seen so far is the doctor I spawned in my ship. And he seems to be perfectly professional (if a little greedy)
    Actually I have never seen any sort of Hylotl anything. no dungeons, no villages, not even a lone merchant or set of bandits (well I can't be sure about the bandits, they all look the same)

20. Banerg

Banerg Void-Bound Voyager

It is very unlikely that the Hylotl started the war because they're so peace loving, empathic towards other life and pacifists.

The florans on the other hand are Obsessed with fighting and ssstabbing (lol) as codex's such as these tell us:

http://starbounder.org/Excerpt_3_from_The_Art_of_Stabbing
    http://starbounder.org/The_Trial_of_Saplings_5

And because Florans don't think that fighting something or someone weaker than them is bad - told in this codex: http://starbounder.org/Excerpt_1_from_The_Art_of_Stabbing - the pacifist Hylotl would be there perfect target.

In conclusion Florans don't hate the Hylotl, they just attack them because Florans like fighting and the Hylotl are "weak" (not warlike).