1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback So, Generated Wooden Structures on Volcanic Planets Are Fun

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Hurgablurg, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Hurgablurg

Hurgablurg Void-Bound Voyager

While trawling around Volcanic planets for Foundry biomes, I learned something interesting:
    Fire burns wood blocks.
    Now this may seem obvious, but this came to me as some surprise when I realised that all the wooden structures that can be generated, from Hyotl ruins to Avian pirate ships to entire glitch villages, can spawn perfectly fine on a Volcanic planet, and in the case of the Glitch, are meant too.
    However, per the name, volcanic planets are full of fire, including frequent downpours of fire in place of rain. This really messes up everything for everyone, especially seeing as the weather follows the player.

This means that when the player walks through a village or climbs up to an airship, and it starts raining fire, the blocks start burning, and then they break.
    And when blocks in an inhabited area break, it's usually the player's fault and the guards get rightfully angry.
    Buuuuuuut, when it's fire that's burning down the village, the guards STILL blame the player and attack, like you're a pyromancing demon or something and killing you will make everything better.

burn screen.png

This is a problem.
    I dunno if it'd be better to remove the burning feature, have a variation of generated villages that use fire-proof materials only, or what, but being misblamed for a natural event that honestly should've exterminated everything on the planet a long time ago is both unrealistic, and really not fun.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  2. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Had a glitch village I liked start getting obliterated by meteors, and got the heck out of there fast. We really do need some sort of weather protection before too long...
    Not just generated either, I really want a nice moon base but if you stick around on a moon surface the meteors will ruin both the natural landscape and your base in one go.

Hurgablurg likes this.
  3. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

At least that one is up in the air... That is easy to get away from those hostiles; when the turn to the other side of the feather.

Floran tree villages are probably worse, as those are usually a lot more space with a lot more guards... ><

Would be nice if they had variants for those biomes. I actually like the burning feature, but the fact that these are spawning like that... I would think they would have some sense in at least having some kind of protection. At least the glitch have a castle variant. However the floran don't, and since they graft their own things from other tech; I'd imagine they would be able to accommodate to such an environment with necessary materials. I mean they don't like fire as is, why wouldn't they attempt to use something to keep them out of the fire rain...

meteors are a different matter entirely...:nurutease:

4. Ablekaine

Ablekaine Pangalactic Porcupine

The question is why the hell would they take their wooden stuff to a FIREY planet to begin with?

"FLORAN HAVE MADE A TERRIBLE MISSSSSTAKE."

Dreynguid and SenikCouper like this.
  5. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Hive blocks are also vulnerable, I'm thinking of delivering the coup de grace on a Apex Rebel base that is slowly coming apart on my planet. or should I prop a chair and watch it all fall to pieces slowly?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2016
  6. Ablekaine

The latter. Watch them burn for their foolishness.

7. Ablekaine

My posts were deleted from the thread because they were deemed "pointless"-muh bad. :nurusad:

8. LordBaconator

LordBaconator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think thematically it's probably actually fine for settlers to build wooden houses on Volcanic planets. Traditionally we've been building structures that get easily destroyed by Volcanoes for thousands of years.

What's not okay, however, is when the guards get angry at the player when they should be running around frantically trying to protect the citizens.

In a time of environmental crisis guards should be allowed to run around and provide medical attention to civilians since there is no immediate enemy to fight and they are still responsible for protecting the settlement.

9. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, there really does need to be a way for the game to differentiate from player actions and world actions. ...And on a bit more complex note, perhaps having the townspeople rebuild after the event is over in a later update. Pick up broken furniture, provide new blocks, etc..

Hurgablurg likes this.
  10. LordBaconator

LordBaconator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You know, technologically speaking, entire structures are generated based on maps generated using Tiled or built from pieces using the world seed. It would be theoretically possible to run a diff of the generated state vs. the world state and have NPCs put things back exactly where they were.

Such a thing would be reasonably complicated to develop, though...

Hurgablurg likes this.
  11. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The captain of the ship was probably Icarus.

Ablekaine likes this.
  12. Hurgablurg

Hurgablurg Void-Bound Voyager

If the devs could program something like that, they could probably also code in a whole sequence where settlers arrive on the planet and build the colony in real time. But alas, even AAA titles have troubles with automated NPC construction.

As far as repairing structures, they could, as LordBaconator suggested, run a behind-the-scenes script and regen the structures while the player is off-planet.

13. Lusid

Lusid Pangalactic Porcupine

Automated construction probably wouldn't be too difficult in this game. In a game like fallout 4, the way you can build in that yeah i can understand NPC's not really being able to. Here though It'd just be a matter of levelling off an area, then producing a structure the same way the procedural generation does only putting it up over time instead of all at once. Probably easier said than done but doesn't sound outside the realm of possibility.

Also yes, agree, when generation happens it should look at surface liquids and weather and have a list of materials approved to stand up to all those things.

14. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Think of it this way. They have found a nice spot on that hostile planet, which has so far avoid all kind of disasters, even though every other places are on fire, by luck they found that one promise land where they finally settle down, building whole towns and possibly live there for generations without problems. Then suddenly one day an offworlder came out of nowhere to snoop around being all suspicious, and suddenly all their luck run out and bad things happen and fire rains where it has never been forever. You can understand why they want to kill you.

Ablekaine likes this.
  15. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If this were an in-game reason as opposed to a quirk of the procedural generation system not checking what kinds of settlements will actually survive on a given planet, I'd accept that possibility. As it's not, it's just a series of things that the devs need to fix.