1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Sniper Rebalance Idea (Keeps Identity While Making Him a RoR Character)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by bboyforever, Jan 24, 2014.

1. HexZyle

HexZyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Howcome?

• Jazter

Jazter Industrial Terraformer

That's pretty much what the Commando does right now. Run around until you can full metal jacket, run around full metal jacket. Now that I think about it Full Metal Jacket is still arguably stronger because it doesn't seem to have the damage reduction thing when it pierces enemies as well as the knockback. But one thing it seems you guys aren't taking into consideration(i might've missed it), is that Steady Aim doesn't start to cool down while you're charging the shot, but after. So a full charged Steady Aim takes what, 2.5-3seconds maybe? Couple that with the 4 sec cooldown you're potentially lower the cooldown of the full charge shot by half.

• HexZyle

It's not any different to what the sniper's already doing. Run around Sniping until you can Steady Aim, then Steady Aim.
        About my proposed focus points not matching the cooldown + charge time for Steady Aim, then just half the recharge speed for "focus points" (the slight nerf there because you can start your Steady Aim while your focus points are regenerating and because the Sniper's getting another ability anyway)

• Jazter

Nah it is different because you don't have to charge it. That's the biggest selling point.

• HexZyle

Then why'd you say "That's pretty much what the Commando does right now" when now you're saying that it's different?

• Jazter

I'm saying that right now the Commando gets to run around and throw out a power mob attack without stopping for any time. That's what you're trying to get Steady Aim to act like. You'll run around and throw out an uncharged Steady Aim then rinse and repeat.

The difference I was referring to wasn't in comparison with the Commando. I was talking about the difference from how the Sniper plays now. You said "It's not any different from what the Sniper's already doing." I said it is different because the Sniper has to stop and charge which is the biggest thing you're taking away from him.

• HexZyle

I'm not changing the function of Steady Aim whatsoever. I'm just compressing Snipe and Steady Aim into the one keypress, since they're both functionally the same skill (the former is just an uncharged Steady Aim, so I'm suggesting to remove "Snipe" and instead just allow a constant fire rate of uncharged Steady Aims)

So instead of "Press Z to Snipe, Hold X to Steady Aim", it'd be "Press X to Snipe, Hold X to Steady Aim"

• SPLlT

SPLlT Big Damn Hero

Sniper doesn't need another ability.
                  3 abilities are all the sniper needs if Snipe and Steady Aim are combined.

• Stovepipes

Stovepipes Void-Bound Voyager

Except every other class in the game has 4 abilities, so if Sniper's 2 abilities are combined, he'll get a new one.

Wasd_wasd likes this.
                    • SPLlT

SPLlT Big Damn Hero

:(

• Dzumeister

Dzumeister Subatomic Cosmonaut

:unsure:

:down:

• SPLlT

SPLlT Big Damn Hero

Except if there's no cooldown for Steady aim since it becomes a basic attack, it (the sniper) will need a major nerf because it will be unbelievably overpowered if it gets another skill in addition.

• HexZyle

• SPLlT

SPLlT Big Damn Hero

so steady aim isn't steady aim anymore.
                              It's (basically) a instakill shot with a very long cooldown.

• Jazter

Well in one of those post he stated the time it takes to build up enough focus points would be about the same it takes for the current steady aim to cooldown. They just want to combine the 2 skills to make room for another skill. Which imo without even knowing what said skill is would make Sniper the strongest character.

• Valerie Valens

Valerie Valens Void-Bound Voyager

The sniper is fine as it is, don't mess with it. You just need to git guud. Stop trying to steady aim mobs at close range, it will never work. Steady aim works best for big mobs that are far away, off screen even. The sniper is designed to rely on drones while kiting, so prioritize drones over item chests or shrines unless you get lucky with goat's hooves.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
                                  • Corrupt Ai

Corrupt Ai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Stating that The Sniper relies on drones would be a flaw. If you need specific pickups, the class needs improvements. Telling people to "git guud" solves nothing. Just because a class can be used and even mastered by some, does not mean it is perfect the way it is. This goes for all classes. If I gave you a car with no turn signals and no power steering, and you came to me complaining about it, what would your response be if I said, "You simply need to become a better driver."?

Wasd_wasd likes this.
                                    • Jazter

Needing an improvement for what though? Saying the Sniper relies on Drones would be like saying a character is item dependent. At least half of the roster is item dependent, does that mean they need an improvement? I don't think so. Characters like Acrid can just get away without getting good items, and characters like the Commando or Mercenary get beyond stupidly strong in the late game. That's just how the game is. And i'm pretty sure the game is designed around Rainstorm, since it says so on the in-game difficulty. And imo, EVERY character is OP on Rainstorm, especially the Sniper even without Drones because of it's insane power against lower health mobs and bosses(thanks to spotter) you breeze through the game like it's nothing at such a fast pace you keep the in-game timer lower which in turn keeps the enemies health lower.

• Corrupt Ai

Corrupt Ai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

See, I don't feel qualified to suggest improvements for Sniper. I am simply not good enough with him. I also don't know if he is Drone dependent or not, I was simply going by what Valerie said. I just took issue with the idea that a class being dependent on finding specific things is okay.

I feel that any class should have no trouble clearing the game without Drones. Item dependency is different in my opinion, as I've had several runs where I had no drones spawn, ever. I have never had a run where I didn't get some sort of item. It makes sense to me that some items will work better or worse with some classes. That is just a fact of the game. I also understand that about Drones. However, Valerie stated
                                        I don't feel any class should have to rely on Drones. It feels like a crutch to me. If Sniper doesn't rely on Drones, that's great, I was simply taking issue with the idea that it would be okay for any class to rely on Drones.

Wasd_wasd likes this.
                                        • SPLlT

SPLlT Big Damn Hero

[​IMG]

But yeah sniper is a great survivor.
                                          The only balance he needs is either
                                          1. Shorten the cooldown (or remove it entirely) to 3 seconds.
                                          OR
                                          2. Add a minimum % (such as 20% of original damage) for piercing damage, rather than infinitely lowering. (All damaged targets take at least 20% damage)