1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Slow start up and screen graphics issues.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by RedArch, Mar 29, 2017.

1. RedArch

RedArch Void-Bound Voyager

So I've been wishing to get back into Starbound for a while now (I intend to add to my 1,000+ hours on it) but I've noticed some odd problems i haven't ever had before.

Firstly the game takes a very long time to load up. I click play and it brings up the options and I click that and wait...and wait...until a few minutes pass and it finally starts up. Then everything is fine save for graphical issues I have on the lower 1/3 of my screen. The black area you can't see into seems to flicker like static usually. And occasionally the screen 'tears' away to reveal the very back of the sky box. With stars and such. I haven't encountered either of these errors before.

My computer runs windows 10. I currently have no mods installed. When I attempted to catch the graphics error in a steam screenshot it didn't show up. I suppose it's worthy to note I moved some of my steam games to another folder to make space on one of my computer drives.

I hope someone can help. Thank you.

2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

What are your specs in general? CPU, GPU, RAM?

~ Iris ~

3. RedArch

I have 8.oo Gb RAM
    I'll check everything else when I get back

4. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

is that 8 gigaBITS or 8 gigaBYTES? Gb is bits, GB is bytes, 1 byte is 8 bits, so if its 8 Gb, you only hav 1 GB RAM which is pretty much terrible for any computer

If its 8 GB, tho, i hav 8 GB RAM so its not the problem

5. RedArch

It's 8.192 Gigabytes
    My CPU is an Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-4460 CPU@ 3.20 GHz
    My GPU is an AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series

Sorry if these aren't the right things you needed. I don't often get my computer specs.

6. Iris Blanche

Can you attach your starbound.log? Just want to make sure your R9 is used by Starbound and not an integrated chipset.

~ Iris ~

7. RedArch

Here's the latest log I could find. I hope it helps ya.

Attached Files:

8. Iris Blanche

Okay the R9 is used.
    You have unpacked assets in your assets folder. move the folder outside of your assets folder or delete it if not needed. It can be the cause of your problem.
    Have you setup a special profile for starbound in your driver settings? If yes try reverting it to default.

~ Iris ~

9. RedArch

I don't remember setting up a special profile for Starbound in my driver so that can't be it. I'll remove the unpacked assets folder and see what happens.

10. Iris Blanche

FYI i read sth about that the R9 has issues with another game i'm currently playing. For most a rollback to an older driver worked for them. Maybe it would be worth a try too.

~ Iris ~

11. RedArch

Starbound is running far better now! I only had a small instance or two of the screen bug. And it didn't take like....five minutes to start.

I'll look into rolling back the driver updates as well. Just in case. Thank you! You'v been immensely helpful.

12. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

just so u know, 1GB=1024 MB. 1 MB=1024 KB. 1 KB=1024 bytes. 8.192 GB doesn't make sense, unless u saw 8192 MB so u just divided by 1000