1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Shipstructor (WIP) [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Ships' started by Team_MTSSM, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lordwolfe

Lordwolfe Subatomic Cosmonaut

i like your attempt in this mod as far as fully build able ships go this is by far the best I've seen. its the most in depth I've seen as well. it got almost exactly what i think the developers of the game must have intended to have. you can look at all the vanilla games ships and obviously they must have constructed them in a similar way.

my only dislike is the way you implemented the cockpit construction. I would like to have seen you make a similar set of items like the engine pieces. but I'm guessing you may be working on that right? you do say your doing updates to add in all the races ship parts in at later dates right? I'm guessing you will be including the cockpits in similar updates as well?

2. kodemunkey

kodemunkey Phantasmal Quasar

Why is the ship station blank? is there a book or something i'm missing?

3. Skrypt

Skrypt Void-Bound Voyager

Right now I'm using the Fully Customizable Ship mod.

I'd like to try your mod out for obvious reasons, but I'm worried that my entire ship would be destroyed/reset in the process. Is there anyway I can import my current ship from FCS into this mod?

4. Epicfail18081

Epicfail18081 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The mod looks great, no doubt. But I'm having problems with the download. Both of them in fact. First one is that download manager, which I will NOT install under any circumstances. The second one, is the SVN link. I'm afraid for me, it just say that it can't to anything besides create a folder because the link apparently leads to nowhere. Before you ask, yes. I'm using Tortoise SVN, and I am right-clicking inside the mods folder. Then I click SVN Checkout, and past the link into the top bar. I clicked ok. Everything showed up fine, it created a folder, then came up with:

Command Checkout from http://mad-tulips-starbound-mod.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ mad-tulips-starbound-mod-read-only, revision HEAD, Fully recursive, Externals included
    Error URL
    Error 'http://mad-tulips-starbound-mod.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ mad-tulips-starbound-mod-read-only'
    Error doesn't exist

Completed!

Shortly after, I noticed a rogue space in the link. I got rid of it. Nope, still didn't work.

EDIT: Never mind, that external link had the option to download the file alone without the manager. So I've now got the mod, but that SVN link is still a bit of an issue.

(Can't get rid of those damn hyperlinks!)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  5. madtulip

madtulip Phantasmal Quasar

madtulip updated Spaceships: Customizeable and Craftable (Blocks and Objects) with a new update entry:

LANDABLE SPACESHIPS! Finaly

Read the rest of this update entry...

6. MikBe

MikBe Space Hobo

In this case I would suggest "WTFM." As there are no installation instructions or even a read me.

Also, there is no book on the new mod-able ship. Theres a fuel hatch, ship locker, life support, ship station, and a tech station. No book on the wall or else where.

There is a tech blueprint I unlock and then lock into tech slot one but I still can't craft the building scanner or building scanner markers in the ship station.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    madtulip likes this.
  7. KazanaAoi

KazanaAoi Phantasmal Quasar

Pretty much all mods now are installed by simply extracting into the starbound/mods folder. Thats what its there for. And its really not rocket science, So it shouldnt -need- the mod authors to indicate how to navigate to a folder, right click, and extract.
    Edit: And most of the mod authors that use other means of installation typically indicate as much and give you instructions as to how to go about it.

From the patch notes: "- Starting at tier 5 you can build your own modules in game" Meaning you have to have the durasteel tech, and the ability to get to Sector X in order to craft the scanner markers and scanner. Its not something you do from the very start.

And the book isnt there because since Angry Koala, its not needed in order to give you the recipes it was meant to give you (IE: All those things in the Ship Station)

Hope this helps :p

MikBe and renbear like this.
  8. Lordwolfe

Lordwolfe Subatomic Cosmonaut

i think this is a wonderful mod!
    It's very well thought out and I think your going to make it immensely better.
    I just don't like the ugly square corners you mod presents in you ships walls. it fine thought because i think as far as ship customization goes you have done what is practically impossible. we can almost completely duplicate the original ships but they all look poor and blocky by comparison. what im looking for is something that just takes the originals and cut them into rooms, then lets us use your tech to construct them together, it seems plausible so maybe you will eventually get there. as for a first attempt this is damn impressive.

9. madtulip

A Tileset is the solution most games take to solve the ugly corner problem. This is currently work in progress and i just noticed that i accidentaly forgott to delete the /madtulip/tileset folder while going from the development to the release build. That is good for you so you can take a look at how that would work by editing /madtulip/player.config and adding the line
    Code:
    {"item" : "madtulip_human_hull_tileset","count" : 500}
    to the default items block so the whole block looks like this.:
    Code:
    "defaultItems" : [
      {"item" : "madtulip_human_hull_tileset","count" : 500}
    ],
    A new character will then start with the tileset in its starting inventory. The tileset was not ment for release and is not working correctly (the blocks are lagging behind and you can place them in a left/right flipped version which destroys the effect) but you might wanna take a look. I already asked for such an implementation in to game engine over .material files. That will surely come and my workaroung using an .object is just in principle wrong.

anyway, :) HF!

10. MikBe

MikBe Space Hobo

You can't expect someone new to the game to know something like this, especially when using Steam on a Mac where everything is hidden. If it's not Rocket Science then it shouldn't take too long to explain so every author should include basic installation instructions along with usage instructions that are kept up todate.

A thing that cannot be used is a useless thing.

So, it's really simple, except when it isn't, and you just have to know this... even if you don't know that you need to know this... I see.

This is exactly why you always include instructions. Once again, if it's so simple then all it would take is to create a basic README with instructions. You would then simply copy that README file with every release folder.

That's not in the latest patch notes. If you're saying I have to go back and read past notes to cobble together the current state that won't work because the install instructions for a previous release do NOT include the use of the mod directory but have some very complicated instructions for using the assets folder.

In addition the Youtube video the developer shows a user on a brand new ship using the mod. The fact that YOU have to be tier five is not self-evident.

Once again, more evidence that developers MUST include instructions: there is no such thing as self-evident unknown knowledge.

More evidence that you DO need instructions because if you read this thread the developer talks about the book constantly.

Yes, thank you very much, you were extremely helpful.

I'll thank you twice even because by pointing out all the things you have to know, but could not possibly if you've never used the mod before, you demonstrated exactly why all mods MUST have instructions. So, thanks for proving my point!

11. LoonyDoll

LoonyDoll Intergalactic Tourist

I'm pretty sure no game in existence suggests a player brand new to the game should dive head first into using mods, and often times it's suggested to be at player risk to do so and communities tend to have standardized procedures in dealing with all of this. It's written somewhere.

Expecting every mod author to assume you have no business playing around with user content and need an introduction course is a bit... entitled. And jarring to see.

The details of how the mod works (e.g., needing tier 5 for the unlocks, which is why I was on the discussion board, reading.) could be documented better, but it's all completely forgivable and understandable considering not only the pace of the game's development, but with it, each and every mod and its respective development.

12. KazanaAoi

Actually, it was taken from the latest patch notes. :p Click on "Updates" then on "Read More" at the bottom right of the top most update, The line in question is the third bullet point:

Hey Guys!

After two weeks of cooperative coding with Pilchenstein we came up with a toolbox called
    modules in a box (miab) which finaly allows this mod to.:

- LAND YOUR SPACESHIP ON THE PLANET :) Yay! It was the initial goal of the mod to realize that functionality. More about that on the main page. It is still far from perfect guys, but thats all the current lua allows us to do. Also 2 weeks of code are certainly buggy. Please report your finding per PM.
    - Each tier features a landing pod "module" based on miab. A module is a whole ship or building compressed in a single item which can be deployed (see video further down)
    - Starting at tier 5 you can build your own modules in game

The youtube video is somehwhat outdated (After only nine days too, haha) but it still illustrates the majority of the mod, which is probably why he hasnt changed it.

The need to be at Tier 5, while not being self evident, it IS in the update notes, and also has only just become a thing as of this latest update, prior to that you didnt need to be tier 5 :p

Woo! Now I can mess around with unreleased things and break even more things in starbound :D

Edit: PS: This is easily my favorite mod in starbound so far. Keep up the good work ^-^

13. madtulip

14. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

I have yet to try it but I love it already :D
    The only problem I have (which is basically impossible to fix) is that there's no way this can be compatible with multiplayer by default (i.e. without the server having it installed)

15. KazanaAoi

The same is true for 98% of mods right now though, So its not very suprising :p ITs something the devs will have to work on in the future (If they choose to, of course)

Some of the small mods work in multi without the server having the files, but its not ideal and can cause issues for others witnessing the use of items from those mods, or the server itself rejecting the actions of those mods.. Just all around a better plan to make a server for yourself and mod it.

16. madtulip

The starbound team said that the assets will be moved to .pak files or similar. Also the server will at that point push those files to clients who need it. Until then the server and all clients need to have the same game files (the mod installed), yes.

17. VasVadum

VasVadum Cosmic Narwhal

You added my sorting right? :p Didn't see my name mentioned in that update post! :p Is fine though. I don't consider the work I did all that amazing to begin with. xP

18. madtulip

i think its on the main page.

19. VasVadum

VasVadum Cosmic Narwhal

20. madtulip

Nice work man, you get the hang of modding!. In "madtulip.modinfo" miab is registered as dependency as an example. Im not sure if that is ever checked thought :).
    Have a nice day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.