1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Shadow people. will it become a race?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Zuperned, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Zuperned

Zuperned Void-Bound Voyager

i got a question these shadow people on the dark planets. will they become the next race to be added maybe? they are pretty cool. :D

baconsama25, The MechE and Faeryheart like this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Moved to Starbound Discussion. The Social subforum isn't related to the game.

3. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Tyi has already stated there will be no more playable races added

SleepySquidd likes this.
  4. Kilowolf

Kilowolf Big Damn Hero

And even if they did add more they would have to have the same body types and builds as other player races in game already due to the way armor and items are shown on players and NPCs

5. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

As a tenant "race" like the Alpaca, maybe. There is already shadowvillager.npctype found in /npcs/biome/, and it wears an armor set found in /items/armors/biome/midnight/. Plus, there is also the assets in /humanoid/shadow/ and shadow.species in the /species/ folder.

Not playable, but definitely possibly a tenant.

6. Ragemage

Ragemage Tentacle Wrangler

Wait, that doesn't make sense though. There's supposed to be 1 more race isn't there? As we learned from the Ark Gate, it originally showed symbols for 8 races, with 2 blotted out. When Novakids were added, one of the blots was removed. Now there's still 1 blot there. I would think that means there's an 8th race coming, as originally planned.

7. SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

Tiy has publicly said there won't be another playable race, so I wouldn't believe some in-game assets more than an official source. It's possible they could add a new NPC type, though.

8. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think they're going to be extinct

9. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

It would likely be a new race in name only.

10. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

Like @lazarus78 said, it'll probably be just a NPC race, like the froggy people and the penguins you know, lore friendly

11. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

The "Froggs" are mute Hylotl wearing green masks, not an actual "race" in terms of mechanics.

12. Nibolas O Anelbozas

I'm talking in context, hello btw, long time right

13. JesusBillyChrist

JesusBillyChrist Phantasmal Quasar

wont the extinct race be those guys with the stones on their backs?

STCW262 likes this.
  14. Nibolas O Anelbozas

their "trees" have some weird runes on it too, quite similar to the ancient, maybe they have some a connection of some sort. or they're the souls of our wiped characters from the past

JesusBillyChrist likes this.
  15. JesusBillyChrist

thanks for the correction and the last one sounds kind of cool. he could be an overseer or a messenger telling the time when to open the doors...

Nibolas O Anelbozas likes this.
  16. Nibolas O Anelbozas

It's interesting because they won't attack or talk to you, they just ignore you. Maybe they're wating the return of the ancient

17. JesusBillyChrist

18. Nibolas O Anelbozas

yeah, that stone looks like the ones in the midnight biome. but his eyes are red, like the shrines, the shadow people have green eyes, maybe the gren eyed ones are from a different social class and this is why they're stuck on their planets

Faeryheart and JesusBillyChrist like this.
  19. JesusBillyChrist

Could be could be! This is really fun to talk about. i gunna go check the midnight biome a come back[DOUBLEPOST=1450158189][/DOUBLEPOST]alright the trees have an exact match Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 11.39.13 PM.png
    Edit: No they dont very similar

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    Nibolas O Anelbozas likes this.
  20. MelOzone

MelOzone Pangalactic Porcupine

So who are those dark guys anyway? So far I've noticed some things:
    - They look creepy and have really creepy shrines. Me likey.
    - They are not hostile, unlike some cultists (whose skills now decorate ma cockpit, right 'bove the windshield).
    - Wild animals bite them bad.
    - They're mute (or have no spoken lines coded -- yet).
    - They don't like sssssstabbing (ssssorry, the temptation wasss too much).

Sometimes I think that those dark planets possess an atmosphere full of dust, blocking all sunlight. Perhaps it's a sign of natural cataclysm that happened in the ancient past. Since those planets are mostly in "Fiery" systems, I vote critical volcanic and/or tectonic activity. "Charred" trees and obsidian-crispy soil do make a point.
    Or, it could be a result of nuclear or simular disaster, or even war, seeing as the rare "dark structures" resemble damaged ruins rather than houses. Those fellas may be crazed spirits of long dead, trapped in the realm of the living and desperately clinging to their strange beliefs.

Or they can be some malicious creatures obsessed with killing us. While we don't look. In our sleep.

What's your speculations? Throw them in.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015