1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server - How To (Windows 7) Stage 1 Progenitor

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Taeleon, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Taeleon

Taeleon Master Chief

For me they are.

@CrystalPaladen Not too sure sorry. If it worked for Terraria it should work for this. I dont know what canyouseeme is or does, but you seem to have everything done already, what errors appear?

2. OJ7

OJ7 Big Damn Hero

This is exactly what I did and it worked for me. As for port forwarding it is different with each router.

3. CrystalPaladen

CrystalPaladen Intergalactic Tourist

My friend tells me it's giving him the failed to connect to server error. Canyouseeme is a port checker tool that lets you know if it can see a service. when I put in to check port 21025 it says that it gets rejected....I'm just totally at a loss and tired of trying...I set the auto port forward in the server document to false too. Maybe I'll have to try hamachi again. That's what I used for terraria before I could get it to work. I think part of the problem could be my ISP but since I've been running a terraria server 24/7 without hamachi for months now I figured I could pull this off too.

4. OJ7

OJ7 Big Damn Hero

This worked so well for me that I made a video on it for those who need help! Thanks!

5. Taeleon

Taeleon Master Chief

Nice OJ7! Ill put it on the first post.

6. DaviDeil

DaviDeil Ketchup Robot

Why put the game and server to open with Admin? My server and game both saved/closed/reopen just fine.

7. Taeleon

Taeleon Master Chief

Not all will need it. If you are Admin, then theres no need to run it as admin - as you Already Are.

8. Brentc333

Brentc333 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

PLEASE Help me!!!!!! I've spent HOURS of play time yesterday trying to connect with my friend, I'll tell you everything I can and have done but I cannot figure it out.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Mcafee security center
    Have hamachi and tried it... I used hamachi for terraria before
    8 gigs ram
    intel i7 core

Yesterday My friends and I played the game when he came over and we were both on laptops and just typed in my laptops ipv4 address. Okay? Cool, it works!
    Yet, when he went home and I "portforwarded" for the life of me I cannot get this port to open. I'll explain my setup.

I want to host a server on MY laptop at home, and it can either connect to my main computer (the one with the router hooked into it) from either a wireless or ethernet connection.
    I portforwarded on a linksys E1200 router by doing "single port forwarding", and I did the internal/external ports or whatever to 21025, tried it with both just TCP and the "both" option for protocol, and under the "to IP address" I typed in the ipv4 of MY LAPTOP... is that right? I also checked it so it was enabled.

Yet, my port is still closed.

I tried to do everything in the video but when I set all three files to admin mode and try to run the server.exe then the starbound.exe I can't play the game with the server up because steam will say, "app already running" but when I disable just the starbound.exe and starbound opengl for admin it opens fine, but I cannot connect to my server at all because the port 21025 is closed....I also tried to disable my firewall temporarily and that did not help...

Please help, I tried to add as much as possible and I won't be able to get back until later in the day but thank you!

9. DaviDeil

DaviDeil Ketchup Robot

And yet, there are games that require me to apply admin even when I am admin. I was just wondering the reasoning, but I guess it doesn't apply to me, clearly.

10. nielwulf

nielwulf Poptop Tamer

@Taeleon there is a config file that you can use when running the server so as to make changes such as password and what world to load as default.

It is the assets/default_configuration.config file. Right now there isn't a whole lot of documentation on it. But it is a place to start.

11. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Maybe this pic will help. Unless you have the same router as me, it probably won't match, but it will give you a good idea of what to input where. (the only thing you'll need to change is the 192.168.0.1 which happens to be my current default gateway)
    [​IMG]

12. LazyBoot

LazyBoot Void-Bound Voyager

If you got it to work with terraria, you could always try and use the same port you used for that...

13. lamu82

lamu82 Yeah, You!

its ok just connect to the sercer

14. dangermind

dangermind Subatomic Cosmonaut

There is no server file. Not in the entire starbound folder. searched everywhere.
    I figured maybe it has to be made first so started server and let it run then closed it. but still no server file.
    Only packed.pak and sb.checksum in the assets folder. and a folder named user. if u open that ull see a folder song wich cointains starbound songs...

15. dangermind

dangermind Subatomic Cosmonaut

The file is now named: starbound.config. Thats why i couldnt find it. changed since last update maybe?

Located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014