September 5, 2014 - "Nightlies weren't updating, here's why" edition.

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Good thing the particulars weren't mentioned or we'd see the Miniknog out and about.

2. redhawk39

redhawk39 Void-Bound Voyager

It must be said, for the code monkey!

3. SSpanzer

SSpanzer Void-Bound Voyager

So when is this game actually going to be updated? Its been like 5 months and we went from 80k players to less than 1000. By the time they are done we will have like 50 people....

Nimeni likes this.
  4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

If the game doesn't get updated, what did I just finish downloading?

5. GorunNova

GorunNova Pangalactic Porcupine

Apparently, since the nightlies don't have the word *stable* on them, they don't reflect ANY work at all.

As a friend of mine would say, "some peoples' children..."

Zael and Kawa like this.
  6. thedemoninside

thedemoninside Starship Captain

A story about Jimmy

Jimmy is a guy I work with. He is a construction worker like me. Jimmy is 65. I am 33. I am Jimmy's boss on the job sites. Jimmy just started learning the trade a year ago. If I told Jimmy to paint a door frame, and never went back to check on him, Jimmy would spend all day on that door frame, when it was only a 1 hour job. Jimmy does not care because he will get his $16/hour if he just paints that frame all day, or if I push him to paint the frame, install 150 linear feet of wall, and hang 10 sheets of drywall.

Chucklefish is Jimmy, and they need someone to kick them in the ass to keep them earning that paycheck.

Nimeni likes this.
  7. Lintton

Lintton Guest

That analogy is completely inaccurate for a development team that asked several of their members to move to Europe, so they can work on their project with less delays in communication.

SmugFrog and Zael like this.
  8. GorunNova

GorunNova Pangalactic Porcupine

... except that if you actually *looked* at the update logs, they've been doing a rather large number of things for a 2-3 member coding team, and often finish and move on to the next thing within a day or three. Also, the artists are constantly adding more stuff, which is also obvious if you look at the updates in both the nightlies and the blogs.

Bad analogy is bad.

SmugFrog, Zael, G.Xyon and 2 others like this.