September 5, 2014 - "Nightlies weren't updating, here's why" edition.

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Sep 6, 2014.

1. backeby

backeby Big Damn Hero

Most interesting post in ages. Thanks a lot for going into such detail Omni :)

2. neosuduno

neosuduno Aquatic Astronaut

I barely understood a quarter, your good man...

3. Telgardrakore

Telgardrakore Void-Bound Voyager

I am also proud to say that I was understanding almost all of that.

...Then the massive block of code appeared, and I immediately said "NOPE" and skipped it back to the parts I understood.

AdenSword likes this.
  4. SquarelyCircle

SquarelyCircle Cosmic Narwhal

Glad to know that people using the nightlies has helped. Early access proven to be a good thing.

5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@Cowboy Bebop, was that a commentary on how you didn't understand a word Omni wrote?

Cowboy Bebop likes this.
  6. Frostfall

Frostfall Big Damn Hero

Ooh, what do you think of Git? I've heard about it but have been using Clearcase. Automated build tool.... Jenkins? Hudson? Something else?
    *studies*

7. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

I love Git. Never heard of Clearcase.

And we use a package simply called "Buildbot" http://buildbot.net/

Zael likes this.
  8. T4silly

T4silly Void-Bound Voyager

My brain hurts...

9. WispHollow

WispHollow Orbital Explorer

What kind of truck you drive? I am actually an engineer and design Semi Trucks for a living. I do a little coding on the side too.

10. DragonHalo99

DragonHalo99 Void-Bound Voyager

Its a 2013 Peterbilt 587, I'm running super single michellin tires for better fuel economy and less weight. Can you design me a sink for my truck so i can wash dishes easier? I have to use a bucket to wash the small amount of dishes I keep in my truck for cooking. My truck has the studio sleeper in it. I became a truck driver to save money for college so home for me is where I park. I am a year away from putting myself thru college. I just bought my own house in Texas though. [DOUBLEPOST=1410033435][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Its a tough job that requires you to take a 78 foot long truck into places most people would think they cant go. Still I am year away from putting myself thru college completly without debt so riding down the road rocking out to ozzy and playing starbound while I wait to be loaded. not bad for me really.[DOUBLEPOST=1410033491][/DOUBLEPOST]
    code and drive is that even possible ?

11. WispHollow

WispHollow Orbital Explorer

Not exactly the type of designing I do. I design the frame layout from the back of the cab to the end of the frame. The company I work for owns Peterbilt. Bah... How do you like those big boy tires? Looks like more of an issue if you have a blow out.

12. davidlolcat

davidlolcat Subatomic Cosmonaut

Lol?

13. Whirlwindjon

Whirlwindjon Void-Bound Voyager

Either laugh or cry, my personal favorite would be to shout at the screen and hope they somehow hear me xP

14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

You expect them to read that wall of tech? Even a short plain English post is left unread by most of the people here.

Zael, Cowboy Bebop and Hatsya Souji like this.
  15. lordbociek

lordbociek Pangalactic Porcupine

technically -they are gettin closer to community :)

16. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

I love how they are not treating us like idiots (although I am one - can't understand most of the things posted). It shows transparency and effort in communicating with the community. It is much easier to just say "it is fixed" instead of showing the work. But showing the work is how they say "Hey, thanks for all the money you throw at us. We are working hard for you, look.", and I really appreciate they doing that. The cynical gamer in me sometimes wondered when they will just be burned out and half-assed their report through or even stop doing it anymore. But hey, seems like they are doing pretty alright. Good luck, and good hunt (for bugs.)

Zael likes this.
  17. GorunNova

GorunNova Pangalactic Porcupine

I should point out that it was actually part wall of code and part wall of debugger output. ^^

Edit: gdb = ^_^... a wonderful open source tool.

Zael likes this.
  18. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

Man, I feel proud that I understood over a 1/4 of that.:p

Btw, @OmnipotentEntity is there any chance you can take a look at what we call the ''Underground Exploration Bug''? It's perhaps the oldest (been around since the Tile System was remade) and most annoying (makes getting Core Fragment Ore practically impossible without spawinitem) bug currently present in the Nightlies.

It shows itself by suddenly and randomly causing this message to pop up when you're exploring underground (NEVER happens in the surface), the /fullbright cheat seems to make it more common and it has the tendency of happening whenever you're exploring an open space underground (Zen Mini-Biomes have the HIGHEST RATE of this happening).

Error.JPG

And sadly, it leaves no info in the error log, so this is all we see. Hope you can make more something out of this message, and perhaps tell what's going on....

19. willpill35

willpill35 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Out of all of that the only thing i understood was "And the nightlies work again." And this is all the information i needed :3

20. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

We did fix a bug similar to this about a week and a half ago. Are you still experiencing it?