September 29th - Using Protection

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

You realize of course that that can hardly be called a strategy.

2. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You realize of course that I don't care. It still ruins part of the game for me.

Before, that stupid crap was optional, people who wanted the inherent masochism that comes with trial-and-error could do it if they wanted to. Now everyone has to. What happened to sandbox game?

That's the only place I ever find the bubble boost which really helped me find quick building materials. >_> I really don't find added work and stress fun.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    Hatsya Souji likes this.
  3. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Will I need a grappling hook or better jump tech to survive those tesla-ridden halls?

4. Cakewalker

Cakewalker Subatomic Cosmonaut

this could be useful in multiplayer as a protection system. The "dungeon" block could be toggled using a pass code, idk could be interesting.

5. Kara G

Kara G Phantasmal Quasar

So this should eliminate the temptation to cheese dungeons by encasing every enemy in a block of dirt, I guess the creative people will just have to drag each enemy outside of the dungeon one by one to kill them that way lol. Any chance you guys may give the enemies some for of A.I. where they will return to where they were somewhere in the dungeon so that people can't leash them outside one by one?

6. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Is this system involved in how player placed blocks do not spawn monsters in them? Will that still be a feature in the 1.0?

7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Yes and probably.

8. KazeSkyfox

I want an option to disable it in world gen.

You people might like platformers but I don/t. Bad enough fighting enemies gets fast-paced especially after walking backwards was slowed but at least I could deal with that without dying a hundred times.

(Of course everyone is rooting for this. Most people still believe seeking challenge for the sake of it is a noble pursuit.)

9. bluecollarart

bluecollarart Big Damn Hero

Most people are into it because Starbound has never been positioned as the type of "sandbox, challenge-light/no challenge" game that you apparently were expecting. And so there aren't many Starbound fans who will be disappointed or surprised by something like this, because they knew what they were getting into. Most people who don't like platformers, or games with combat, or games with dexterity challenges never got into Starbound to begin with.

Not everyone has to like every type of game, it's cool that you aren't into platformers, but Starbound isn't probably going to be a great match for you if you aren't. I mean... it's a platformer.

10. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Don't know about that. Enemies really are not much a problem in dungeons. Never used dirt for enemies... I did however do something like what kazeskyfox did with the actual maze. That particular one I would never make it to the end; just will not ever have that kind of skill.

I actually don't mind the new thing that is implemented. It is not a matter of lure to somewhere safe, it would be more like quite a few tries at the maze itself and then if still not made to the treasure; I wouldn't even bother, as I have better places I could go. Being a builder primarily, it is better for me to build a city than to go through a torture maze. So that would be a place I would not ever get rewarded effectively. I just hope to progress we don't end up with too many of those, especially that electric maze, as then I would never be able to progress.

Since I am a builder, I am sure there would be another option for myself to progress; as that type sounds more like the adventure side. Even then I hope it is kept at a minimum, at least in considering progression. Hopefully nothing too difficult, after all not all of us are platformer geniuses.

Regardless it is a nice option to have, as like many others mention; this could help with the multiplayer protection part. That is what most interests me, since again I being a builder would rather my creations to be only moddified by myself. Unless it was a team effort; that is another story. :)

11. KazeSkyfox

Starbound isn't a platformer. It has entirely the wrong physics for it. You can't call something a platformer just because it's a sidescroller where you can jump.

I could live with the lesser evil of combat since everything has a tier and I can just rush to endgame and stay on the lower tiers for the stuff I actually want to do. (The good biomes are in the lower tiers anyway. :V) I don't like something that I cannot avoid doing though. I'd like an alternative method of obtaining tech exclusive to those areas.

Kawa likes this.
  12. Mystify

Mystify Void-Bound Voyager

If you don't want to do the platforming, don't do the dungeons. Why should you get the rewards for going through a dungeon if you don't actually go through it?The game passively says "Here is a challenge. Overcome it and get loot". Your choices are to try to overcome it and get the rewards, or to walk away and do other things.

13. KazeSkyfox

Because I shouldn't have to do things that aren't fun in a video game?

Because forcing you into pretending a game is another genre than a sandbox game where there are multiple ways to progress and obtain items is a design flaw and specifically not like a sandbox game?

Because expecting other people to play the game the same way you do is elitist and makes you look like a jackass?

Because I don't like challenge at all and play games for escapism and simulation instead, and have never found Mega Man particularly immersive?

Because I don't need to do it right now if I don't feel like it meanwhile you can do it if you want to, which is the very essence of a sandbox game?

You have to work for things in real life, why would I want that in a video game that I am specifically playing to have fun?

So there's a bunch of reasons, pick your favorite.

Asking for an option to disable it effects you in absolutely no way unless you're one of those idiotic crybabies that gets all butthurt because some people opt out of it as if opting out of a challenge is somehow hurting your experience.

14. bluecollarart

bluecollarart Big Damn Hero

I've got bad news: if it doesn't look like a sandbox game, or act like a sandbox game, or quack like a sandbox game... it's not a sandbox game.

Starbound isn't a sandbox game, it's an open-world game, and there's a world of difference there. It's not creative mode, it's survival mode. It's not Garry's Mod, it's Skyrim. It was never supposed to be a free-form sandbox game. The specific selling point of Starbound over Terraria and Minecraft has always been that it was actually going to have gameplay and wasn't just build shit for no purpose. It's selling point is a well defined, balanced and fun progression, not instant have-everything-go-out-there-and-do-stuff.

I'm sorry that you missed this but you did. Starbound's just going to get more and more gameplay/challenge oriented as it goes.

15. KazeSkyfox

It has a fully-destructible world, multiple ways to progress, a character creation system, and the end-goal being to do whatever you want. It's a sandbox game. It meets all of the requirements to be a sandbox game. It even has mod support and a planned creative mode.

I hate Terraria. Not only was its lead designer a piece of shit but it literally forced you to unlock hard mode to get most of the new materials AND you would still get killed fairly often with endgame items. The reason I got into starbound was because after following it for a while, it turned out that it wasn't going to be too hard like Terraria. I'm starting to think I was lied to.

Minecraft doesn't give you everything at the start of the game either. You've obviously never played it if you think that.

I don't even know why you're replying. I'm asking for something that would take 2 seconds to implement and not effect how you play the game in any way. If you are seriously asinine enough to still not want something implemented just because it would make it easier for other people and you don't like that, kindly shut the hell up and go harp to someone who isn't beyond fed up with dealing with snobby attitudes on gaming forums.

Know that if you ever wanted a toggle option for something that I didn't like but had the option to not use, I would have fully endorsed it, but how about instead I just oppose such a request like a dick the next time it comes up? I would love to spite you in the way you're doing me right now. Unfortunately I'm not a big enough jerk to deny others my vote in favor of something that would make a game more enjoyable for them. I really hope knowing that makes you feel like an ass.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  16. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Yo, chill man.

No need for anger or heated aswers, we dont want Mods to start giving you warning for loosing your temper.

I quite dislike Terrarias progression aswell, and the curent Nightlies are beyond unplayable for me( the Ore Droping needs to cease, or I aint playing it) and efectively, you are right, yet there is no need to be upset at him.

Please, do calm yourself, heck, maybe edit out your post so it aint that agressive.

I get where your coming from, and you do have quite a good point, yet being angry will not help you in any way.

17. Mystify

Mystify Void-Bound Voyager

I just said you /don't/ have to do it. Just don't expect the rewards of doing it if you don't do it. I don't complain that I don't get free food because I don't want to set up a farm. The game is offering a potential activity for you to do; they added a feature so it actually works as intended and makes sense.Dungeons with destructable walls simply make going through them properly masochistic; you aren't taking on a challenge to get the reward, you are taking on a challenge for the pure sake of having a challenge. That works for some people, but its a lousy basis for gameplay. Self-imposed challenges are things people do to expand their enjoyment of the game, it shouldn't be the dynamic the game relies on.
    None of your reasons apply.
    "Because I shouldn't have to do things that aren't fun in a video game?"
    You don't have to do it.
    "Because forcing you into pretending a game is another genre than a sandbox game where there are multiple ways to progress and obtain items is a design flaw and specifically not like a sandbox game?"
    There are multiple way to progress. One of those is to go through a dungeon. It is the ability to bypass the dungeons that makes the dungeon option worthless. This isn't decreasing your options, it is making this option actually make sense.
    "Because expecting other people to play the game the same way you do is elitist and makes you look like a jackass?"
    I don't expect you to play the game the same way I do. Conversely, your desire to avoid dungeons doesn't mean everyone who likes dungeons shouldn't have properly working dungeons.
    "Because I don't like challenge at all and play games for escapism and simulation instead, and have never found Mega Man particularly immersive?"
    So don't go into the dungeons, and let people who do like challenge have their fun
    "Because I don't need to do it right now if I don't feel like it meanwhile you can do it if you want to, which is the very essence of a sandbox game?"
    That's right. You don't have to go through the dungeon. So don't.
    "You have to work for things in real life, why would I want that in a video game that I am specifically playing to have fun?"
    By this logic, there should be no obstacles in the game whatsoever. You should have access to unlimited resources, be able to craft everything for free, be immune to monsters, etc. In short, you want a creative mode. Fine, ask for a creative mode, don't complain that the normal game actually has a game to it.[DOUBLEPOST=1412869423][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, the notion that adding options to toggle every feature of a game will make it enjoyable for more people is false. You may argue that you are only asking for something to toggle this feature, but this feature is no different than any other feature that some people don't like, which is everything. Too many options doesn't empower the player so much as give them enough rope to hang themselves. They tend to disable challenge and remove friction from the game, which doesn't actually make the game more enjoyable. challenge is important for a game for most people, but adding in options to bypass that challenge can easily negate it.
    The rules and limitations of a game give it structure. Even if the goal is player freedom, the limitations in the game form a structure for player freedom to build from, and removing it can make for a hollow experience.
    Imagine the game is like an obstacle course. The instructor sets up a series of obstacles meant to challenge you. They are designed to be hard but doable, to push you to do better. The n you tell people that if they don't like sections, they can skip them. The entire structure of the challenge is gone. You have ruined the structure for everyone but those disciplined enough to keep the challenge in place. Additionally, you hamper the designer's ability to create a cohesive experience. Say, for instance, the instructor sets up a rope climbing challenge, leading to a set of monkey bars. Either individually may be easy, but having to do both in sequence means your arms are tired for the monkey bars, and it heightens the challenge. You remove the rope climbing section because you don't like it, and you compromise the monkey bar section as well.
    Adding in too many options doesn't make the game accessible to more people, it makes it easier for the players to mess up the game. They likely won't even realize why they aren't enjoying the game as much.
    The core issue here isn't even that you dislike this feature. Its that you dislike the game design this feature is intended for. This is indicative that the entire goal of the game is not what you want. There are several solutions for this. One is to accept that this game isn't actually one you want to play. Even though it could have been, it isn't ,and that is just life, and asking for features to be toggleable won't fix it. Another is to figure out what principles of the game are problematic, and request a mode based on different principles. For instance, a creative mode, where the goal of the game is not to present challenges. This allows such a mode to be designed coherently. Another is to find mods to shape the game into what you want. This is different from having in-game options, because the devs are not responsible for ensuring that mods will result in a good experience, and don't have to put forth effort ensuring that it works well for the gameplay. The mods have greater freedom to reshape the game into what you want. It also explicitly outside the intended flow of the game, while options are implied to be intended avenues of playing.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  18. DarithD

DarithD Pangalactic Porcupine

People, we know you hate or like the update, but there was no need to argue here.Alright?

Akado and Kawa like this.
  19. KazeSkyfox

Everything you said is basically false.

Just because I don't want to play the game the same way you do doesn't mean I don't deserve to use the tech, or the blocks you get from those areas. (Since apparently CRAFTING THEM is not an option in vanilla.)

Adding options to toggle on or off features actually DOES game a game more enjoyable to other people and the fact that some, or even most, people might opt out of a challenge isn't actually bad game design. Don't Starve has a ton of world options to increase, decrease, or disable just about every occurrence in the game when you start a new world. I always make days longer and decrease hounds because I don't like them, but there are a lot of people who play the default game, some who want to start in winter, and some who turn weather off entirely and disable certain enemies. I've never seen anyone complain about that game losing value.

A game doesn't actually need challenge to still be a game. A game is structured play, structure doesn't inherently mean inhibitions, it just means a consistent guide that every party can reference for the sake of fairness or immersion depending on the game. (This applies to ALL games, not just video games.)

Self-imposed challenge is the only thing this game, and all other games in the sandbox, survival, RPG, and open-world genres, should include in the first place. The reason being that they have so much content that they have the potential to appeal to far more people than your standard score-attack platformer since every attainable reward in a platformer usually relates to platforming. (Unless we're talking metroidvania games which are the only platformers I'll touch for their distinct lack of actual platforming and focus on zelda-like elements instead.)

Elder Scrolls never cared if you bypassed the difficulty by turning it all the way down and I don't see it struggling to survive.

I actually like the hunger and cold systems and am excited for their revamped inclusions but I would never have a problem with an option to disable those either, as long as I could still use them. This is coming from someone whose favorite aspect of Don't Starve is the not starving part.

In games with large amounts of content, picking your challenges is always a good option.

I also have you pegged to the wall on the golden rule point. I don't mind people having the ability to disable features that I actually enjoy if it makes the game more fun for them, I expect the same courtesy from everyone else.

Piss off.

20. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Gained quite a lot of respect from your post, lost it all and a bit more in that part.

Uncalled and rude, for someone whom was trying to cal things down.

Woudnt expect that from you, of all people, edit it out, there is no need for that or for a mod to go and give you a warning for misbehaving.