September 24th - Reed furniture set

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Necotho, Sep 24, 2014.

1. HawK3yLV

HawK3yLV Phantasmal Quasar

I like how Starbound is shaping up. Awesome!
    [​IMG]
    Btw I have to ask, does the clock actually work or does it only animate the bell?

2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Only the bell, as you say. Just like the other clocks.

3. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

I certainly hope so, because there doesn't seem to be a working clock in the game yet.

4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

And how would you suggest to implement one?

On the one hand, there's animating the hands or readout (depending on the style of clock).

On the other, more discussable hand, there's the matter of which time to show. Do you show the local planet time, with its planet-specific day lengths? If so, what happens when you take a clock originally found on a, let's say, 15-minute day planet and then place it on a 30-minute planet? What if there is no day/night cycle, like on your ship? Or do you just show walltime, so for example a clock would show 12:15 when the computer you play on says it's 12:15?

5. Feathery Dust

Well if you ask me the clock could always show the time according to the current planet, and if there's no day/night cycle it could just be static like all the current clocks are because they can't seem to figure out what time it is.

6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

So a clock that runs this fast here would suddenly run faster or slower there? How does that make sense?

7. Feathery Dust

Well if you hadn't noticed Starbound isn't really a game about stuff making sense, so it shouldn't really matter :p

8. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Oh my, I think Europe forgot to have September 25th as a day again. :(

9. SalmonMax

SalmonMax Title Not Found

Seems like a clock might store the time at which it was last set. So basically if you 'use' the clock while it's in your hotbar (as if it was a weapon), you set the clock to the local time. Use it while it's placed, and it just shows a little readout on the screen of the current time according to its setting. From that point on it keeps that time until it's reset to a new local time.

Places like the ship, or other locations where there is no sun, do have a local time; there's just no easy way to visually track it. So you can set a clock to ship time. In fact, if you carry that clock around with you, you can use it then to check on ship time independently of the time on the planet you're on.

Similarly, you might keep a clock tuned to your main base's time and carry it with you as well. Or have in your base a wall of clocks tuned to different times on different planets you have other bases on.

Lots of possibilities.

10. ilyich333

ilyich333 Void-Bound Voyager

Looks like graphics becoming worse and worse.. And i still remember the times, when people made miracle with sprites, so the picture looked exactly like cartoon with a large amount of details and animations.

11. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

its kinda hard to have a clock in game seeing how every world bases time diffrently
    some last 12 mids others can last as long as 30+

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Kinda my point, yeah.

13. Ixmore

Ixmore Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Perhaps I said the wrong thing, what I'm really saying is that they should focus on finishing up the tech tree before adding more stuff.

14. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

might as well add that (in the nightlys anyways) there are some planets were its daytime forever (could be a bug tho)

15. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Maybe checking the nav system could tell you if that's really a bug.

16. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Thanks for including non-humans this time!

So... what recipies will be using reeds? Will there be a reed stew?
    Is it possible to make armor out of reeds, so one could run around screaming "reed books!"?

...I would have put a pun about reeds here, but I couldn't think of one.

17. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Not all of them are focused on one thing. While some do some things, others do other things.

18. Roselle

Roselle Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh my goodness, that is beautiful. I love furniture made from plants--reminds me of faeries. The reed set specifically reminds me of merfolk, which is most excellent.

Tamorr likes this.
  19. beari78

beari78 Guest

Me like

20. conka21020

conka21020 Space Hobo

why can't i find the survival gear in crafting anywhere