September 22nd - Loot, Loot, Loot!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Sorry 'bout that.
    The first reply was mine. I am not a developer, yet I can create these diff listings. They are, therefore, in a build available to the public.

2. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

No one meant anything bad by anything said above so that's the end of it.

Yes it is, if the diffs posted here are any indication, at least for these changes (don't know what you meant by "other").
    That's what @Kawa tried to convey with that little antic back there.

Kawa likes this.
  3. Tuesday's Eyebrow

Tuesday's Eyebrow Phantasmal Quasar

Well, if that ain't some good shiz nibblets, I dunno what is, man, cause I thought it totally was and stuff. :rofl:

4. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

They don't have to add up to 1.0, I just made them add up in some cases for readability.

Yep, that's correct!

Dembai likes this.
  5. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

That's a pretty important change. I never would have guessed that before this change I had a 1/10'000 chance of getting two instruments in a chest. Of course, I'm still annoyed because only the Money, Ore, Weapon, and Shield categories matter, and even those hardly matter compared to what you can gather, craft, or buy. I've reached a point where I don't think many of the collectibles in this game are of any significant consequence.

6. LordHavoc

LordHavoc Phantasmal Quasar

Are loot drops still limited to 1 item per kill?

7. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Yay for streamlining processes and mechanics!

The more changes like these are done, the better prospects of future modding get.

8. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Only if the data says they should be.

9. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

It figures it takes a modder turned dev to implement better code work....

Good job, buddy. Good job. :up:

10. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Just so long as I can still get my space whiskey, I'm good.

11. davidbfgday

davidbfgday Space Spelunker

how come the nightlys don't work?

12. guyverlord

guyverlord Big Damn Hero

I must say I always enjoy reading layman's terms descriptions like this. A glimpse into the inner workings of the code for non-programmers is always wonderful.

metadept and Lintton like this.
  13. Lintton

Lintton Guest

It can be a number of reasons in progress, check the nightly support forum. Did you try the usual remedies?

14. Speed Lightning

Speed Lightning Phantasmal Quasar

The loot change sounds like a great idea. What I would like to suggest, if this has not already been done, is giving different loot tables to chests within different biomes, depths, and planet levels, as well as making more unique items such as vanity items - or, at least, these generic chests - slightly more common as a player moves into more dangerous areas, such as downwards or on higher-level planets.

15. AdriexDoom

AdriexDoom Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is this table just for chests, or does it affect monster drops too? I was thinking it'd be nice to see monsters able to drop multiple items, just for a bit more loot satisfaction. Especially with boss monsters. I was thinking more that it would just look cool if things like pixel drops were split up in to a group of smaller pixel drops sometimes. A bit more collection feel would be a nice extra to try out. Who doesn't want to shoot a bird down with their sniper and see an explosion of pixels?... maybe that should just be an awesome weapon modification instead. >.>

16. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

So this'll put an end to things like raw meat being stored in library bookshelves, yes?

I mean, we've all heard of Sir Francis Bacon, and who can forget Steakspeare, but...

17. NeoFoxx000

NeoFoxx000 Phantasmal Quasar

I always found that to be kinda strange to find raw meat in the various storage devices that wasn't a fridge or storage crate. Though the random meat should be left in as a "feature" for Floran-themed storage furniture. It makes more sense with them and their love of tasty meat. Everyone else... proper food storage would make more sense. I believe Humans and Apex have access to a fridge in their base/lab/towns. Now it's been a while since I've visited an Avian and Glitch village, but I believe they use a fancier wooden crate (slightly better looking than what the player can craft). I'm uncertain as to what form of food storage the Novakids and Hylotls will have though.

18. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Hm. Come to think about it, I wonder if the Avians would even really have "fridge"-like tech. Like the Floran they kinda feel like more the "get and eat the meat when it's fresh" sort, and are probably more immune to rot-based poisoning anyway, if there's some form of carrion bird in their lineage. Given there's a real "desert" theme to their stuff, I'd wager it's possible.

Still, I'd think that things they make meant to hold meat would be stonework rather than wood. Seals in the juices and easier to wash off. But I could also see them having crystals that produce cold, giving them fridge tech.

Bit of a derailment there, but something to think upon.

Not that this rambling on real-world implications means I'd want the game to introduce food rot. I'm good with the survival-based stuff we've got in the game already, the hot/cold, hunger, etc... but worrying about food rot would push things too far. Plus open the door to "but I kept it in this fridge" arglebargle requiring more coding... bleh.

19. Sitanel

Sitanel Void-Bound Voyager

Tell me, will we still find weapons which are worse than the ones we can actually craft?

20. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

If you're tooling around on lower-level planets, sure, why not?