September 14th & 15th Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Sep 16, 2013.

1. BrenSage

BrenSage Pangalactic Porcupine

I wonder how the security cameras work.

2. J. Logan

J. Logan Poptop Tamer

Great! Good luck, devs! :)

3. Creb

Creb Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for the update, I know you guys are working real hard. I have been excited for this game to come out for so long now.
    I've been pretty much loading up the site nightly to check and see the daily updates since you guys started them.
    Glad to see progress being made so steadily and am really liking the sound of the added functionality to the wiring.
    Looking forward to spending many an hour exploring the world(s) you all have created for us.

Keep up the good work everyone. Make sure to get enough rest too though; helps avoid bugs in the code, and keeps ya'll healthy.

tassina likes this.
  4. Paddon

Paddon Title Not Found

A bit longer?

I've heard that one before :wut:

Blue Hair likes this.
  5. StarBatman

StarBatman Void-Bound Voyager

Those screens are chillingly stark compared with the light-hearted feel of the rest of the game. And I like it. BECAUSE I'M BATMAN
    Lends a good sense of proper atmosphere to the dungeon. Your work on the prison dungeon has been nowt but brilliant post after brilliant post.

From what I've seen in the developers' videos and livestreams, putting wiring seems so far to have been as simple as entering a darkened 'wire view' and connecting everything there, like in the seminal indie release Gunpoint, or the older, sadly under-appreciated strategy game, Evil Genius.

What I like the most about this approach is that it saves the player from unnecessarily messing around with wire blocks and trying to make it look neat again afterwards. I don't know if you've ever had to make a redstone / piston door in minecraft, but if you're trying to do anything larger than two blocks it's a nightmare. This approach streamlines everything into a simple 'attach output to device's input', thereby avoiding wiring bugs and such hassle.

However, that's the wiring system as we saw it back then, so there's any amount of chance that it's been changed for the actual release.

tassina likes this.
  6. 0olong

0olong Big Damn Hero

...and you'll probably hear it again. It's better to know what's going on than to not. Labors of love take time, and this is obviously one of those times.

tassina and NinjaDuckie like this.
  7. Paddon

Paddon Title Not Found

Just feels like every time it's stated they'll add something new and then iron out the bugs and they'll say it again and that whole cycle repeats. I thought beta was meant for testing and adding features ._.

Blue Hair, killpay and Lord Hatty like this.
  8. Garath

Garath Void-Bound Voyager

They see you and then....Cereal, thats all I can say...But I like the prison/dungeons its cool, maybe there will be empty one all dark, and spooky, and then two distant lights in the darkness receding backward so COOL can't wait!

tassina and BrenSage like this.
  9. Grimthor

Grimthor Orbital Explorer

I can comfortably say that I am very excited for these automated turrets. My base shall be a fortress of death and destruction. :devil:

10. Xyth

Xyth Void-Bound Voyager

it would be hard even for a monk to wait with patience for the game :halo:

Blue Hair and Wagnouf like this.
  11. Lance Hancock

Lance Hancock Existential Complex

The 1st thing that came to mid when I saw the 2nd screenshot was "The cake is a lie."

12. fate1122

fate1122 Subatomic Cosmonaut

So will the beta be coming out this month?

13. StarBatman

StarBatman Void-Bound Voyager

I take it you don't know many monks.

tassina and Silican Beat like this.
  14. TheKeyLimit

TheKeyLimit Phantasmal Quasar

It is so promising. I am full of excitement. yay.

theysaidtheywouldbebackforus

tassina likes this.
  15. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Your cynicism will be sorely missed :(

16. SerinityFyre

SerinityFyre Subatomic Cosmonaut

I love the paper and scrawled messages. I can't help feeling like it reminds me of something..... :)

killpay likes this.
  17. SerinityFyre

SerinityFyre Subatomic Cosmonaut

Coming months of emptiness? What, are people sitting around staring blankly at their desktops just waiting for the moment Starbound is released? Even the devs are playing other games in their free time.

Go get the latest Humble Bundle, support some charity, and play some cool Indie games! Life does not revolve around a Beta release; even one as epic as this

tassina, samufel and NinjaDuckie like this.
  18. Raydude999

Raydude999 Void-Bound Voyager

Then clearly we are all better than monks

19. CubeX

CubeX Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, I'm loving these updates! I really hope that the story will be a big part of Starbound, not a necessity, but if you choose to go through it, It'll play a big part.

tassina likes this.
  20. RynCage

RynCage 3.1415926535897...

If you keep taking things that literally your hair will go gray.