Security Systems

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Insanitor, Jun 22, 2013.

1. ZTGabe

ZTGabe Void-Bound Voyager

sounds cool

Dragolen likes this.
  2. Dragrath

Dragrath Phantasmal Quasar

I love it :D but something is missing... Automated defense bots? sentry turrets? Drone patrols?

3. Hoddmimir

Hoddmimir Cosmic Narwhal

I think this idea and my idea for Standalone Dynamic Blocks would go well together. At least the motion sensing part of your idea.

For example, with my idea you can put cart block down that rolls around on the map. On top of that you can put a propeller pointing in a particular direction and also a hydrogen fuel cell. Then if we include a motion sensing block to fit with your idea, we could end up with a device that follows you on the map. Whenever you are walking, the motion sensor picks it up, turns on the fuel cell which powers the propeller causing the cart to roll in your direction. Then when you stop, it stops. So you have a cart with you at all times.

Is that kind of what you were looking for?

This is just one example of how the two ideas could be used in conjunction. Add an automated machine gun to a motion sensor for instance and you have a great base defense. Put it all on a cart and now you have some interesting shenanigans. What do you think?

EDIT: Also with your permissions, since I only thought of it after reading your thread, I would like to add motion sensors, turrets, etc... to the types of standalone dynamic blocks I have going on in my thread.

4. Fjantom

Fjantom Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you look at the building demo, it works VERY similar

Ahbahl likes this.
  5. YeshuTheDarkLord

YeshuTheDarkLord Space Spelunker

Sounds awesome love that to happen.

6. S'now Face-Chamcham

S'now Face-Chamcham Master Chief

(for give me if this was already stated in the comments, for i do not have the will to read through them all)
    you could even use the big screen set up to monitor your crops :D

7. mario3585

mario3585 Void-Bound Voyager

This would be very cool for military bases, you would have a gate with a security camera that scans your race and clan/alligence, if you didn't meet the qualifications a sentry would shoot warning shots, then attack if you didn't go away.:)

8. Change568

Change568 Space Penguin Leader

One of the better ideas ive read good job!

9. sean3682

sean3682 Void-Bound Voyager

How would the screens work since Starbound is 2d.

10. PwnySlaystation

PwnySlaystation Master Chief

I love this idea about security systems. Being warned when someone was trying to break in would be excellent. Having cameras as LOS sensors would be so neat. I can already imagine how they would work assuming the LOS mechanic isn't to complicated to do. Camera wired up to an object like turret/door/pump by default it would put out a constant 0 state, but the second a monster or player not in your party gets in the LOS it outputs a constant 1 until the LOS is clear of threats. Couple those with pressure plates or floor sensors and we could have some neat options depending on the types of traps we get. Outside Cameras to control turret defenses or door locks. Inside floor sensors that starts pumping poison gas into the building or something like that. :D

11. 46odnetnin

46odnetnin Space Penguin Leader

this would be a fantastic tool if anyone were to create an adventure map, maybe a playthrough of on e of the many amazing stories we have here on the forums?

12. CommanderCnicko

CommanderCnicko Big Damn Hero

Sentry guns? Anyone? :unsure:

Dahoga likes this.
  13. Ryzin

Ryzin Seal Broken

What about things like blast doors that automatically lock upon tripping an alarm?

14. Dahoga

Dahoga Phantasmal Quasar

I really like this idea. Maybe this could even work on moon bases to act as airlocks. Just so, you know, people don't suck you out into space without your spacesuit.

15. braindanger

braindanger Phantasmal Quasar

Maybe i could make a pie sponge bob trap in starbound.

16. Visuv

Visuv Space Hobo

Endorsed

17. Flying Potato of Doom

Flying Potato of Doom Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Line of Sight will not be in-game. Confirmed.

18. jonasfull123

jonasfull123 Pangalactic Porcupine

how about traps in abandoned spaceships?

19. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

This sounds great! I'd love a quick way to lock down the base if a monstor shows up =D

20. Jannik2099

Jannik2099 Subatomic Cosmonaut

it would also be cool if you could make a map like "mark of the ninja". get in, steal objective, get out. Hidden Sentries would be cool, or laser walls which have to be switched off with a console. how to hack such a console?
    So . if you do that wrong once, turrets will activate. you can make a good security system with that... if you remember your own code.