SciFi Magic: Psionics

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Daitenshi, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dasaki

Dasaki Pangalactic Porcupine

That's a simple alternative to the idea, I wouldn't minded if they put it in like this.

2. Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Dr. Ivo Robotnik Contact!

I see where you're coming from but overall, it still seems unneccesary and wouldn't really fit with the feel of the game.
    Check it out, you have a whole cache of awesome futuristic swords, guns, mechs and captured aliens... and out of nowhere a magic bracelet

3. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

I don't like this suggestion because of the elements (fire, water etc).
    I grew up with Starcraft, which had Psionics (which are awesome, way better than magic in my opinion) but this is not fire, water and stuff but electricity, which is normal because it uses the special electrons in the users psionic brain thing to do so, you can do tons of cool stuff with the electrons like cloak yourself or float, but not make a fireball, which is BS in my opinion.

4. LongChan

LongChan Cosmic Narwhal

Not magical, but created with technology, I'm not speaking about a magical bracelet which belonged to an ancient race of sorcerers... I'm talking about a bracelet or bracer created with technology that can perform elemental attacks, I explained a way to do so in one of my previous posts and I really think it would not waste the feel of the game at all. Star Wars is one of the first worldy known Space Operas and it has the force...

5. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

See? The (Starwars) force and ''Starcraftesque'' psionics would be way cooler than elemental tech.

6. Dr. Ivo Robotnik

The whole "elemental" thing is what's throwing me off. I just don't see why anyone has to tap into some mystical force to attack anyone.
    Want to burn an opponent? Flamethrower. Want to freeze him? Freeze ray. and so on and so forth.
    Honestly, Psionics just don't make any sense to exist in THIS PARTICULAR GAME. Starwars is it's own thing,

7. Dr. Ivo Robotnik

I'm pretty sure telekinesis / telepathy can be done with technology. They figured out how to do it in Dead Space.

8. Dasaki

I think we have a HUGE misunderstanding people.

The Elements can not only be used against your opponent to attack, but as a way to manipulate, and change the fight into your advantage. Water, you spray water at enemies and they can be critical'd with an electric burst of energy. Then raise the ground up to have some cover if there are more enemies. Create a firewall for a quick escape, and the enemies can walk into it and burn. It can all be done with technology too. Splicing air molecules, changing temperatures, condensing air, etc.

Are you guys really serious about not wanting more ways to f*ck up your enemies!?

LongChan likes this.
  9. Dr. Ivo Robotnik

That is not the case. I'm simply saying that while some of these attacks are just fine and dandy, these is no need to involve psionics.
    Technology will do just fine. There is no need to make a whole new branch of combat when EVERYTHING that can be done with psionics can be done with technology and/or monsters

10. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

Yes, because Dead Space is first of all real life and second of all in the same universe as Starbound.

11. Dr. Ivo Robotnik

my friend, I was not suggesting that at all lol
    I'm simply saying that we can have some sort of "telekinesis" without involving any kind of magic/psionics, and I was using Dead Space as an example

12. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

I still think Psionic energy should be using electrons only, not <<FIRE>> and <<ICE>> and <<POISON>>

13. Dr. Ivo Robotnik

I would have to agree with you on that one.
    If there is to be any psionics in the game, it shouldn't be "elemental"
    If they're gonna go that far, they might as well just add magic to the game

14. LongChan

LongChan Cosmic Narwhal

Ok, let's do it with technology, it doesn't need to be psionics, technology is pretty fun for me, just let something else than guns be, lol, be it a bracer with nanomachines that can heat the air and propagate it as a fire ball or drop the temperature to freeze stuff, lol, I don't really mind the means, really, I'm talking about elemental attacks, you don't need to tap into mystical forces to do them, technology is just fine, I'm partly with you, lol.

By the way, poison is not necessarily related to magic, you see, poisonous spray, poisonous gas... Let's drop the magical stuff, as someone said, you can do all that with technology and when I say elemental attacks I mean fire related attacks, ice related attacks (which can be a freezing ray that comes out of a bracer) or a jolting attack (by simulating artificial lightning or just a stream of electrons or whatever fits you). You can even have a lazor bracelet if you want, it's the gun, gun, gun part of it that makes me want to think of a way to make combat more varied. I always play long range elemental handlers (also known as casters) or bare-handed fighters, lol, now you see why I'm so eager to suggest something a bit different :p.

So no psionics is pretty fine, I'm ok with bracers or pods that can do special stuff like what I mentioned before. I don't mind the shape of it at all, I just want to see something beyond guns and rocket launchers in the game. Anyways, with or without the weps I mentioned, this game is going to be awesome, period :D.

Dasaki likes this.
  15. Dasaki

I too would also like a different way to harm my foes, other than just with light sabers, guns, and rockets. Elemental crap could be very fun, with or without tagging it as magic.

16. Camelslayer

Camelslayer Cosmic Narwhal

I wouldn't mind a type of psionic power, just as long as it doesn't come across too much as "magic". That's always something I'm personally picky about, I don't want fantasy and Sci-Fi mixed a lot (yes, I can make an exception to Star Wars. Don't bring it up.) Mind powers are at least relatively common-ish in Sci-Fi environments, if any such power exists. Your ideas aren't bad, just I don't think they work with a Sci-Fi game such as this, since it's far too magical for my tastes. Fantasy and Sci-Fi do go hand in hand a lot, I know this, but I just prefer them to be separated.

This is just me though, don't let my thoughts bring you down.

T-Bone Biggins and Nike like this.
  17. Nike

Nike Master Chief

Thats exactly how i feel about it.
    Im just hoping the Dev team does too.

18. T-Bone Biggins

T-Bone Biggins Phantasmal Quasar

My whole life I was always bugged by magic because it doesn't happen. It was just a personal nag because I see someone throw fireballs, and then it turns out to be computer-generated graphics and effects. Then I figured you can light a tennis ball on fire and chuck it out a 'tater-gun at 200fps, and boom fireballs made via technology. Yes I was raised near the Ozarks area and this kinda stuff was normal for kids in the area, different discussion.

The game would be a better fit with only technology, the 'caster' archetype just wouldn't fit. We got bi-pedal mechs, alien worlds, otherworldly creatures, all these are leaning more towards hard sci-fi than the fantasy sy-fy and magic or psionic capabilities would be just a major mismatch for the environ.

As Camelslayer put it, this is just me don't let my thoughts bring you down.

19. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

I'm going to be completely honest here:

No.

And...done.

(realistically, technology replaces psionics in Starbound.)

20. Korruption

Korruption Void-Bound Voyager

From what I have been reading about the discussion, people dislike the idea of Psionics. I am not particularly fond of this either, but there should be 3 classes of weapons in the game. Melee that is close range and uses no ammunition, Ranged attacks that use some form of ammunition (i.e. NOT an energy bar), and Ranged attacks that DO use the energy bar, which if you honestly think about it is essentially magic, regardless of the specifics. I suggested something in another thread about magic being in-game that sounds like a pretty good idea, so I am going to repost it here and see what you all think about it.

Note: Someone in the thread mentioned races that use traditional magic dealing with elements, etc.

"One thing I'm overly fond of is anything that casts stuff, whether it be technical or magical or whatever does not matter that much to me. However, if there are alien tribes that use traditional magic, what is to stop the player from obtaining said magic? Perhaps they drop like a tome with the spell in it that if you try to use it, it sets you on fire or instantly freezes you, harming your character in some way related to the type of spell it is until you go back to your space station and research it? Then you could create a magical device to harness or enhance the capabilities of said tome, which would incorporate the technological theme of the game."

That is my previous post, with some gracious snips to remove irrelevant information, but to me it seems like an excellent idea. If there are no plans to incorporate races that use traditional magic, that would not bother me either, but there needs to be some technological alternative that in essence is magic. To bring up a nice comparison, I'll give a Terraria example. The Space Gun and Laser Rifle were completely technological weapons. However, they used the mana bar as ammunition and dealt a different type of damage that was put in the category with other magic attacks. For anyone mentioning magic, I'm thinking that things like that are in their mind, not shooting fireballs out of your hand. I must agree as well that it would not be a proper fit for this game; however, there are loads of healthy alternatives to this that would satisfy the caster community.

Dasaki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.