Scaryness?

Discussion in 'Other' started by ockpii, Feb 27, 2012.

1. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

Thing is, Terraria was kind of dull in emotions. the most adrenaline you'd get out of the game was to play in teams and it being an intense map. Other than that, there wasn't much more to it.

What I'd really love to see in Starbound was a different kind of available atmosphere. Now, I'm not talking about Dead Space-style stuff here (although that would be pretty damn fine), but I think it would be quite cool to actually be frightened by this game. Really creepy aliens that pop out of, like, trees or cave walls that jump at you and cling on to you, or something. Glowy eyes that go appear whilst dark.

I'd also like it for this game to not be so easy to illuminate. Using Terraria once more - you just pull out a torch and blam, your entire screen lights up. Contributing to the scary atmosphere, if the caves or certain atmospheres were darker and thicker - foggy, even - I think it would be quite interesting.«

I have yet to meet a 2D side-scroller that makes my blood boil. It would be nice if Starbound did that, no?

What are you guys' opinions on this?

~ockpii

Sarzael likes this.
  2. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Limbo was pretty dang creepy...

3. Nakano15

Nakano15 Pangalactic Porcupine

Alone in The Dark:Starbound.

4. Daitenshi

Having somthing you just CAN'T kill in games is always scary.... Like some horrible monster in the depths of a planet...

5. Nakano15

Nakano15 Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe they have already thinked about that,since the planets will have hardness level from 1 ~ 100.

6. Daitenshi

I certainly hope so!

7. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

Or really just loud shrieking disembodied creatures =b

~ockpii

8. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

This is why I keep saying "We need a ghost planet"

FilipeJMonteiro likes this.
  9. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

Complete with a haunted mansion with a mini-boss!

~ockpii

10. Cheezemaniac

Cheezemaniac Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh, haven't you ever run into a Dungeon Guardian... That's a shock!
    Anyway something that creeps could be lurking on those ghostly planets.

11. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

No a haunted mansion is wayyy to off base, now haunted ruins of a past civilization, now we are talking.

Especially if you have creatures like this.

Clicky Clicky!

12. ockpii

ockpii The Reel McCoy

How the hell have I not thought of ancient civilizations or something like that? Bad-ass.

What if there were planets that represented the past? :O

~ockpii

13. Daitenshi

Tortured souls of civilizations past! Mark your passage for it won't be your last!

14. Keirndmo

Keirndmo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Starbound:The dark descent.
    You know it will happen in a castle...

15. Lasercat77

Lasercat77 Pangalactic Porcupine

Like the Water Wraith?

Anyways,YES. It would go well with this suggestion

16. Steve

Steve Starship Captain

No shrieking please. o.o

17. Boxtop

Boxtop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

To me, what makes good horror is atmosphere, not the number of jump scares (aka cheap shots). I'm all for a creepy planet with a dark atmosphere, just as long as crap doesn't jump out at me the moment I get there.

Perhaps a prolonged excursion there could cause a few of your squad/crew members to go insane. Or better yet, cause the player go insane; have him or her start hallucinating stuff, like something out of Event Horizon.

I think you meant "freeze" instead of boil. Having something make your blood boil means it pisses you off; Super Meat Boy and I Wanna Be The Guy do that pretty well, from what I've seen and heard.

18. Shotgun Steve

Shotgun Steve Zero Gravity Genie

I want a scare where you uncover some information like a murder scene or a viral infection and think:

"Dear god, what the hell happened."

I personally think that's a major part as to why Dead Space and Amnesia were so popular. It's the very concepts that you were tossed into.

FilipeJMonteiro likes this.
  19. Keirndmo

Keirndmo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Perhaps on a dark planet that's always storming you can jump down a hill and a message will appear saying "You see a dark figure on the hill you were just on and figure it was just your eyes playing tricks." and it should show some kind of picture like the dark figure standing on what looks like a hill. That would be creepy.