Satellites (And a few tie-ins)

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Black ★ Rock Shooter, Mar 1, 2012.

1. TheGoldenGaming

TheGoldenGaming Master Chief

i would love satellites in the game!

Disreputable Dog likes this.
  2. Black ★ Rock Shooter

Black ★ Rock Shooter Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Thanks!
    Haha, go ahead!
    And then they go nope.avi and teleport away!
    I'll add some energy/ability details and put these in the OP! :D
    Somehow this gave me an idea for another, completely different satellite. :rofl:
    Glad you like it!

3. Disreputable Dog

Disreputable Dog Void-Bound Voyager

First of all, I have to say that this is an idea that really is a must in this game. Very creative and well thought out on your ideas as well for it! :) Hopefully some of these make it into the game. Also, I had an idea to add to your satellite idea, so here it goes!

What do you think of a payload/drop-pod Satellite, which you could launch with items or such inside, and would orbit with them until you release them. They could carry a wide variety of things that would be loaded into pods that are launched individually and connect to the satellite, before they are dropped back to the planet in their pods to be recovered. larger objects would require a higher tier of satellite/pod and be more expensive to launch, though, and pods might not be recoverable, making it a good way to move mass amounts late in the game, or an expensive way to make sure that load of supplies gets where it needs to earlier on.

Some examples of what you could load onto it are-
    PODS (Planetary-Orbital Deployment Systems)

S-Type PODS (Supply) - The first think you could load into the pods would be items like equipment, ammo, supplies, or materials. This would be very useful as you could use to to transport mass amounts of ammo or supplies across dangerous terrain, rather then manual hauling it (especially useful if you have set up a forward outpost on a planet that is very hostile, so movement of supplies manually would be dangerous) As well as it could serve as a way to send ammo or medical supplies to allies who are bogged down or running low.

C-Type PODS (Creatures) - An obvious use of the drop technology is the transportation of living beings. A one way ticket, from your base to anywhere on the planet. Of course, it might not be the average players transportation of choice, but considering the distance one could cover with a drop pod, combined with the rather explosive results of landing, may make it a good choice for getting an upperhand when attacking hostile territory. of course, it's not only players that can be sent on a space-trip, you could box in your pets/war animals/the big thing that keeps trying to kill you and send it on a nice trip across the map, though I doubt most would be happy witht he rough landing...

T-Type PODS (Transportation) - Another amazing use of a deployment satellite would be for the movement of vehicles. Especially early vehicles that might not be as maneuverable as later tier vehicles (think vehicles with treads or wheels on a planet with huge mountains or seas or lava all over the place), or for slow or vulnerable vehicles, such as industrial-type vehicles that have no defenses. I would think that these would come in two flavors, Packaged and Fitted vehicles. Packaged vehicles are vehicles that have simply been packed into pods, usually one to a pod, and are unusable until they are unpacked. Fitted vehicles are vehicles that are specially designed for use from drop pods, and may be cheaper to launch, able to fit more into a pod, or land ready to use rather then needing to be unpacked. Fitted vehicles would be more expensive, but some would easily recoup their extra cost in savings on time and/or launch costs.

S.C.S.PODS (Self-Contained Settlement) - The ultimate payload drop. Imagine being able to set up a forward base with one action, dropping the buildings from space before you even have to set foot on the ground. This would be the ultimate use of the Satellite, but also massively expensive, possibly even requiring its own special satellite (might be one-use satellites as opposed to the multiple use satellites for most pods) These could drop pre-packaged buildings from space, which may require people to set up, or build themselves automatically.

( I totally tried to make some sprites for this, but failed completely xD. maybe ill just draw some instead, If I can figure out how to make my scanner work again. )

Dasaki likes this.
  4. Black ★ Rock Shooter

*Necromancy*

I'll add this to the OP.

I love drop pods, especially when you get to use them to bonk people on the head. Actually, that's what I usually use them for in games that have them. ^_^

Added a few more satellites I thought of as well.

5. Kilo

Kilo Pangalactic Porcupine

Really well thought and planned, and a very interesting concept! :eek: I like it.

6. The Demon of Borders

The Demon of Borders King Homestuck 4.13

Very well done.

7. Black ★ Rock Shooter

Thanks! I'm still trying to come up with more satellites, though. :rofl:

Kilo likes this.
  8. Spike88

Spike88 Void-Bound Voyager

Laser Satellite...

It better be named SOL :p

9. Kilo

Kilo Pangalactic Porcupine

No problem! if I can think of anything I'll drop you a line for ideas. 8 D

10. shcfyd

shcfyd Subatomic Cosmonaut

since the new teleport video came out gives a better idea of how visiting planets works, I think drop pods would be an awesome alternative to just porting onto the surface :cool: You could just have them launch from the ship or something~

11. bounding star

bounding star Existential Complex

With the shelter pod you could get a small area that you can build in and then you launch it off to wherever you want

The Corrupted [ITA] likes this.
  12. The Corrupted [ITA]

The Corrupted [ITA] Big Damn Hero

Well, i'll be disappointed if this doesn't get implemented.

13. Black ★ Rock Shooter

I totally watched this and failed to reply. I found it quite funny. :3

Yeah. :D
    You mean like a small design area within the space station that you can build something in to drop later? That sounds like a good idea. :3
    Thank you!

14. Azazel

Azazel Void-Bound Voyager

I like this :3 This would be amazing in Starbound.
    +1 Support.

15. Thero

Thero Aquatic Astronaut

Perhaps a very high density satellite (MASSIVE amount of resources) that can change the length of the day/night of the homeworld by moving closer/further from the planet?

16. Black ★ Rock Shooter

Thank you!
    Perhaps. I'll think about it some more. :)

17. Bebe22

Bebe22 Star Wrangler

Would satellites be modular?
    For example, instead of having a dedicated power sat, you have a large sat chassis with a microwave emitter and lots of solar panels, programmed to target a reciever on the ground.
    This could then be modified for other uses, like AM production.

18. Black ★ Rock Shooter

Apologies for the late reply.

Yeah, I was thinking about expanding the system since this is a really old suggestion. I think I'll probably give it a major edit soon, maybe after this weekend.

19. Bebe22

Bebe22 Star Wrangler

So that's a yes?
    And how would we deploy them? Drop them out the back of our ship as we go?

20. SurtrThor

SurtrThor Seal Broken

Excellent idea... Voted up!