Respawning - Not Cloning, Please - Teleport Idea

Discussion in 'Other' started by Shiokuri, Jan 29, 2013.

1. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

we're on such a tangent right now.
    how did we even get here?
    but we can't stop now!

and I wasn't speaking about the tele-respawn thing.
    I was just saying teleportation in general.
    either way, I have no REAL problems with the idea.
    but I discuss from the opposite viewpoint simply to inspire deeper thought into the topic.

2. matheusmmsbr

matheusmmsbr Pangalactic Porcupine

Man think on that, If we clone so we fell the loss of the last character, respawning is like, all ways the character don't die, we never gonna lose them, they become a hero, but not he is just a normal guy

Giving Death likes this.
  3. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

I've gotten many responses.
    The main thing I would like to say is that:
    Teleporting makes more sense when you keep your items. How does a clone somehow get all the old-you's stuff?

Also using money to pay for death is a very good system in my opinion. It works great with borderlands, works great with terraria, and would work great with Starbound too.

4. Timelord

Timelord Big Damn Hero

Well hey, perhaps you'll get a choice between difficulty modes, one difficulty penalizes death with money loss the other with inventory loss.

To someone looking at things in a Role-Playing sense; Teleportation and Cloning respectively.

Also, you don't teleport in Borderlands, you get completely digistructed (it says that to you in BL2, which means that that is how it worked in BL).

5. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

Digistructed = Digitize+Construct = Making a (Digital)copy that you can (Print)clone or in that particular universe term: Digistruct.

Alanzer-DNA likes this.
  6. Timelord

Timelord Big Damn Hero

In short, cloning. I know this, that is why in my post from yesterday I said that Borderlands made me perfectly comfortable with the idea of cloning being the respawn system.

7. Alanzer-DNA

Alanzer-DNA Scruffy Nerf-Herder

But as FenixR said in his previous post here (first page), this instant teleportation, when you run out of HP, it wouldn't make much sense in the case of the typical lava-swimming character, or receiving a direct impact of a bomb or a missile. In order to make this possible, the character would have to be teleported before the explosion avoiding to be blowed up into pieces. And I would not like that. I like characters exploding, that's always fun. :)

ArchmageZandor likes this.
  8. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

I wasn't really commenting on the Cloning part but more on the teleporting:

MAYBE (Big Maybe since you get digistructed with stuff you picked afterward you where "Scanned") when you die you don't get teleported, but when you use fast travel to go from point a to point b thats certainly teleporting (But still calling digistructing i think). At least thats how i see things in borderlands universe.

Edit: For the whole "keeping your items when you respawn" we don't even know if that is a given thing right now. Pure speculation. (Unless you quote a dev actually saying you keep your items when you die)

9. Timelord

Timelord Big Damn Hero

KaBOOM

Alanzer-DNA likes this.
  10. Timelord

Timelord Big Damn Hero

I need to ask this question first to clarify some things, have you played Borderlands 2? If not then I would very easily see why you think about the respawn process in the BL universe that way.
    Although you do raise an interesting point from the perspective of the original Borderlands, because in the original you must activate the fast travel network partway through the game even though you still get respawned when you die. The systems might be different, though the fact that they use the same digistrucing animation when either happens leads me to believe that they use the same kind of technology (i.e. when you fast travel it kills the previous version of you and digistructs a new one at the selected location.

11. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

12. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

Yes i did, but got bored of it after i finished (Like 3 or 4 days after release), so i might forget one or two details about it.

@Above: you are going to keep pushing that huh? "Have i ever told you the definition of insanity?"

P.S: 5 internets for the people who get the quote.

13. Timelord

Timelord Big Damn Hero

Oh Vaas, such a crazy ba***rd.

Also, who keep pushing what? - Nvm

14. FenixR

FenixR Cosmic Narwhal

15. I rather like the way respawning is going to occur. In games, especially sci-fi ones, cloning doesn't bother me but I really can understand not liking this idea. In case your idea isn't implemented you could consider that your health bar indicates how much more damage you can take before you are to be teleported to safety. The cloning machine could be viewed as reassembling your atoms after teleportation. Cellular repair could be occurring at this stage as needed. Amazing science can overcome any seemingly lethal death animation. Anyway, I'm not against the cloning respawn (I like the idea) but in my mind my character and all that she is will be the same that I started with.

16. Arch-Mage Zandor

Arch-Mage Zandor Space Kumquat

That reminds me of a star trek book I read, it had the teleporter malfunction and 4 of the people get mixed up (Spocks mind was in kirks body for an example) also when you get cloned you aren't a fake, your mind an all your memories are uploaded into the clones body making him/her exactly the same person.

17. Dahoga

Dahoga Phantasmal Quasar

These were my initial thoughts on the cloning system.

To be honest, I don't really care much if there is cloning or not. However, I would be enormously disappointed in myself the first time I die, since I would no longer be a home-grown (floran) race. However, I was pondering an idea of an emergency teleport that will bring you back to your ship, or a shield-lock-esque object that keeps you safe long enough to emit a distress beacon for someone to save you. For the saving idea, NPCs could do it, or Players could do it. If an NPC comes to rescue you, they may do it for no charge, or they may ask you to do a quest for them.

18. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

My take on this is the Devs have tried to find a clever and interesting way to explain why you can still keep playing as that cool character you have grown quite fond of after hours upon hours of play (with possible Hardcore mode exceptions, yes?).

I don't think we need to worry about our character's immortal souls or anything like that. Therefor, the cloning aspect is just fine! (and have you seen the Avian animation? Idn't that too cute?:love:)
    Can I play yet?

Alanzer-DNA and ArchmageZandor like this.
  19. Arch-Mage Zandor

Arch-Mage Zandor Space Kumquat

(Ikr)

20. Miuub

Miuub Phantasmal Quasar

Well if you're able to clone yourself why shouldn't you be able to clone your gear?

WoxandWarf likes this.