1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Resource Usage on VPS

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Halaster, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Halaster

Halaster Space Spelunker

Hey everyone. I am looking into setting up a VPS to run a dedicated server for friends and am wondering if there is any knowledge yet on what type of hardware I would need for different slot numbers.

For example on Beastnode for Minecraft I know to use the following:
    256MB of Dedicated RAM for 6 players
    512MB of Dedicated RAM for 18 players
    1024MB of Dedicated RAM for up to 30 players

Or on Creeper host I get 768MB for 5 players with Free the Beast.

If I grabbed a 1024MB Guaranteed RAM, 512MB vSwap, 4 Core, 30GB SSD Raid 10 server, how many slots would that be able to support?

I would guess this uses less space and resources than Minecraft, but that is just a guess. I have no idea and was hoping someone here might be able to answer. :)

2. Ayeso

Ayeso Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Im I have a 4GB VPS and I have at least 10-15 people on right now with no issues. Its hard to say how many because I see 21 client files.. but no way of seeing who is online. My VPs is using about 2GB ram right now.

For better reference.. I have 3 cores on a 3.5Ghz Xeon with SSD and 4GB ram

[​IMG]

3. Halaster

Halaster Space Spelunker

I ended up setting up a VPS through Beastnode.
    Went with the plan that included the 1024MB of ram, 512MB OF vSwap, 4 core CPU, and 30GB SSD Raid 10.

Installed Ubuntu 12.10 x64 onto it and used the patch in another thread to get the x64 version of the server running.

As soon as it started it instantly used up 100% of the memory, allocating all of it. For me that is fine since I am only using this VPS for Starbound.
    With 100% of the memory used I had zero problems handling up to 10 people. The server ran all night without a problem, and is still going strong now.

Downloading the game using SteamCMD and supporting the players through the night used up 3.3GB of bandwidth.

[​IMG]