Modding Discussion Remaking the Universe!

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by lazarus78, May 22, 2015.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

So restructuring the universe of Starbound has become my long term project. The end goal of which is to make stars and planets semi-realistic in how they are generated in the universe. (See link in signature)

To that end, I figured a thread to post my progress and get feedback was a good idea.

I plan on releasing periodic "mini-mods" as I go as a way to keep myself moving forward, and If I do have to quit work for some reason, you guys aren't left with a mess. One step at a time!

I'm not too good with properly structuring threads, so... uh... her are some pictures!

[​IMG]
    - Decreased star saturation from 1% to 0.2% (~20 Quintillion to ~8 Quintillion)
    - Renaming stars to official classification names based on star color.
    Get these changes now! Download the mod!

[​IMG]
    - More fitting planet images
    In this image:
    - Garden planet (Ring 1)
    - Arctic planet (Ring 2)
    - Forest Planet (Ring 3)
    - Magma Planet (Ring 4)
    - Volcanic planet (Ring 5)
    - Obligatory moon and ancient gateway

Future Work:
    - Fitting positions of planet types based on distance from the star.
    -- Down the line I may expand it to adjust it based on star size as well, maybe.
    - Make Ancient Gateway's rarer. ChuckleFish will probably do this later as well, but whatever.
    - Throw in a special, uber rare star, Sol. ( 3rd rock from Sol! )

I am doing with 1 star at a time, starting with White. My over-arching plan requires some core modifications to the celestial.config, so the next part to this that I release will be a 2 part release. It will likely be a straight up overhaul as I can't see this working via JSON Patches.

Anyhoo... Feedback, I am all ears. I want to make this right and as good as I can.

2. user2345562

user2345562 Guest

I'll try to download it as soon as I fix up my laptop :3

3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Well all the best.

4. lazarus78

So, more on planet distribution based on distance from the star...

As it is, a star system has a 50% or 70% chance for an orbital to have a planet. Although the configs say 12 possible orbitals, there is actually only 11. Orbital 1 is never used, or is reserved for the star, either way, its not up for us to use (Black holes with daralect station around it? Perhaps...)

Now, the plan is to split up planets from their "tiers" and set them to generate based on their distance from the star. IE fiery molten planets close up. lush planets in the middle, and ice planets in the outer rings.

My initial approach was to control planet generation by the individual orbital rings. Like the first ring closest to the star, if ig is to have a planet, it will always be magma. The next ring, if it is to have a planet will be magma or scorched. Etc. Basically take it one ring at a time.

An alternate, and perhaps easier method would be to break it into 3 groups. "Innter rings", "Goldilocks rings, and "Outer rings". With the innner rings consisting of the fiery type planets, Goldilocks rings being ones like the toxic, jungle, ocean, forest, etc. And the outer rings being all the cold planets.

So in short, should I go with fine tuned control, or general control?

5. battlekruiser

battlekruiser Void-Bound Voyager

Hello, is this idea still alive? I came up with something like this today and went to see if someone did already implement it. If it's abandoned, then can i try to make this idea into life?
    Sorry for necroposting!

6. lazarus78

Well christ I haven't seen this thread in a while, lol.

Its not really dead, it has just become stagnant. Since this time, the stars have undergone some big changes in the vanilla game, and this idea doesnt really fit well anymore, though it could still be done.

As it is right now in vanilla, all satallites are moon biomes, save for gas giants which can have tier appropriate biomes. I kinda like it that way better. Though I still have it set up with custom planet icons, so I could still turn that into a mod on it's own. It would inherently be incompatible with mods like Fraking Universe, however.

7. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

If I may suggest, how about filling the universe with varieties of Barren worlds, and adding unexplored variants of vanilla biomes so that it doesn't feel like the universe is small?

lazarus78 likes this.
  8. lazarus78

You mean like a forest biome with no structures?

Hmm.... hmmm... yes... I like where this is going. Hell of a lot of work though.

9. battlekruiser

battlekruiser Void-Bound Voyager

Actually i meant, from my point of view, more awesome part where planetary biomes are set based on distance to the sun. You know, stuff like habitable zones. Maybe also actually different surface gravity values, more variety in planetary sizes, etc.