1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Relationships between races

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by dannyboy8899, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

As a chef, floran spices are the best.

Just grind up a floran, add it to your hyotyl fish

2. Malvolio Portius

Malvolio Portius Pangalactic Porcupine

Look at that!

Genius! There is always a use for a race. Not that human's should partake in this what-so-ever, can't be sure how healthy it is until it's far to late.

Awesomized likes this.
  3. SomaSam

SomaSam Big Damn Hero

Yeah, so far the only info we have is that:

Avians and Glitch are allies (first contact) (also worth noting is that glitch DID NOT give the avians tech, that was an unknown precursor)
    Avians and Florians are enemies (Because the florians stole avian tech when one of their ships crash landed.)
    Humans hate tenticals

I believe this is the only stuff that we know for sure.

dannyboy8899 likes this.
  4. The Demon of Borders

The Demon of Borders King Homestuck 4.13

I'm going to be real interested to see the Hylotl race intro. I'm hoping for a negative relation with those Flarons, personally. High-class oriental fish people have no buisness with expansionist plant jerkwads.

5. SomaSam

SomaSam Big Damn Hero

I would be happy hearing anything about Hylotls. I'm going to play as them, but they have even less back story right now than the Novakid, a race added after them!

6. fallingorbit

fallingorbit Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I would assume all the races are xenophobic and violently racist against all the other races.

Let the genocide begin!

7. Quenton

Quenton Phantasmal Quasar

This is how I tend to view it:

Human, Hylotl, Apex
    The Big Three. Peoples that tend toward organization and unified civilizations.

Apex - domineering, though mostly toward themselves. Of all the races, the Apex should have the highest chance for a dangerous empire that others fear or hate.

Hylotl - If they truly are like old Japan, then they should be ritualistic, should have xenophobic tendencies, or at the very least be a challenge to win their trust.

Humans - Seem to be presented in an almost Star Trek like manner. Seem very western. Republic or Parliamentary, however you like it. Overcame their differences and worked together. Recently had their paradise threatened.

Considering their differences, none of the big three would have any real alliance with each other. Non-aggression pact at the most. Each should be rather self-reliant in their own way.

Avian, Floran
    Tribal, or less unified peoples that may have been introduced to space travel a bit too early.

Avian - Rigid religion. Possibly tribal. Most likely just past the tribal stage.

Floran - Seem to be wild enough that they're only just at their tribal stage.

Floran and Avian should have a fair chance to get along with each other, actually. Both peoples seem to have been introduced to space travel by methods beyond their means, which gives them a common identifier. Avian mentality can present the Florans a more organized view. Floran mentality can give the Avains a more worldly view (something outside the old "the world is flat" type of thinking). In this situation, Florans and Avians might work together because of similar situations, but not because they admire each other.

Glitch, Novakid
    The two non-biological peoples.

Glitch - Material beings that need energy to operate.

Novakid - Energy beings that need materials to get around.

This reminds me of the old opposites attract saying. Novakids always forget. Glitch are machines that never forget (unless the hard drive is damaged). Glitch seem to be less emotional, even though they seek to emulate it. Novakids seem to have no shortage of something new grabbing their attention, and could obviously use some logic. Could have drawbacks, too. Glitch can view Novakids as primitive, primordial beings with no purpose. Novakids can view Glitch as passionless work horses unable to truly enjoy life. I would think Glitch and Novakids are the most likely to work together, though they probably talk behind each other's back a lot.

dannyboy8899 likes this.
  8. doguso

doguso Big Damn Hero

Wow that is really thought out! I actually like and partially agree with all you have to say. Though I could see the Florans just trying to eat the Avians to some degree (they are still food). The Novakids and Glitch almost seem symbiotic, they are almost entirely opposites. They were even created differently, one a natural accident, the other an on purpose creation. I hope the Hyotl aren't xenophobic as that's one of the things I hate about Japanese culture, but it would make sense and add to their racial problems.

9. tarot

tarot Void-Bound Voyager

The Avian don't seem tribal to me, apart from their clothing. Also while they are very religious they're ruled by a scientific faction (the stargazers) that's always pushing to explore so I think they eill get along well with humans
    I think Florans will be pariahs, maybe they'll get along with the non-meat races?

dannyboy8899 likes this.
  10. fallingorbit

Except that none of the races have a major advantage over the other. All of the races are scattered remnants of a once great, former civilization.

There are no "big three," all of them are equal, starting from square one. But aside from that, it was interesting analysis.

11. Psycho

Psycho Intergalactic Tourist

I think Allies and Enemies you just create through helping/attacking other races on planets.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

12. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

There is civillised and tribal, and then man-made.

13. fallingorbit

But they are on equal footing, because they all have spaceships and lasers.

It's not like one race has a major strategic advantage over the other. That's all I'm saying.

14. Psycho

Psycho Intergalactic Tourist

The corgi race has a major advantage.

15. dannyboy8899

dannyboy8899 Aquatic Astronaut

meh, the avian sacrifice their own and no-one go on about that!

16. dannyboy8899

mm bird...

17. dannyboy8899

True,
    florans cant really get much nutrition from the glitch or Novakid.
    well!
    we will see what eventuates.

18. Quenton

Quenton Phantasmal Quasar

The one thing I always see in video games where different race choices are present, is the concept that they are all on equal footing. But, then games like Dragon Age come along and break up that train of thought.

I just find it less plausable when every single group starts out with equal lots. It doesn't mean someone is less capable than another.

Actually, it wasn't that well thought out. It kind of just popped into my head as I was reading through this topic. Took a while to type out, though. When I stop and think about it now, the one thing that makes the most sense is the Glitch and Novakids.

It was mostly just me using my imagination, and attempting to inspire others to do the same.

I don't think there's an actual nation of any kind in Starbound.. is there? I still think that if there are any groups capable of being unified that the Humans, Apex and Hylotl are the most likely to want to do so.

19. EpsilonEagle256

EpsilonEagle256 Pangalactic Porcupine

As far as I know, Avians have befriended the glitch and are rivaled against the florans

20. dannyboy8899

so some races may indirectly be enemies
    if the avians are allied with the glitch and enemies with the floran...
    would the floran be enemies to the glitch? or neutral [to the glitch]?
    and where do the apex fit in (as the highly advanced race)?