1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Reincarnation Through Science!(Gif from tiy)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DawnOfNights, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Eldritch

Eldritch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

DrPhibes, the reason they're uncomfortable with it is because without conciousness transfer, if you were the character and died, you wouldn't wake up in a new body, you'd just get a duplicate somewhere.

But consciousness transfer will be in the game. When the story comes out I plan to write a fanfic based on it which would deal heavily with the implications of your homeworld being destroyed and seeing your own dead bodies time and time again on the mind.

2. Alanzer-DNA

Alanzer-DNA Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think the part of losing your stuff upon death will be optional, as in Terraria (softcore player, mediumcore, hardcore).
    But... Yeah, there should be something like the mentioned database thingy to make sense :)

3. I wonder why people do worry about cloning and do not worry about teleportation?

I mean, your body is ripped to the atoms, beamed down to a few hundred miles and recomposed in a same shape - and nobody worries is it still the same?

Where's your logic people? :wtf:

Gorshum, Dragrath, Soup and 1 other person like this.
  4. Alanzer-DNA

Here.
    [​IMG]

5. DrPhibes

DrPhibes Pangalactic Porcupine

Again, this game features so many impossible things, so I wouldn't worry about consciousness transfers.

6. 70calories

70calories Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yeah I wondered that my self I mean your pretty much willing destroying your own body only to have it reconstructed in another location in fact I read a article somewhere once on the matter saying if teleportation ever became reality the easiest way of doing so would be to deconstruct the human body down to the bare atoms and transporting those atoms to a new location and then reforming them into a new identical form so in a since your a clone the moment you first teleported to a new location

Edit: Found it - http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/everyday-myths/teleportation2.htm

Gorshum, Alanzer-DNA and blind sniper like this.
  7. Eldritch

It's easy to imagine that they invented a better way of teleportation, which is my personal headcanon.

Alanzer-DNA likes this.
  8. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

Well, you had to respawn somehow, and it's a sci-fi game. Here's hoping you have one on your shuttle and not all teh way back at the space station.

9. But if you respawn via cloning, that means your original character you created is truly dead...
    :cry::cry::cry::cry:

10. Alanzer-DNA

Exactly! That's the loss.
    But hey! Tiyuri said that there will probably be a "Home Grown" achievement for reaching End Game without dying.
    Up for the challenge? :p

11. Eldritch

It means their original body is dead. The conciousness is transferred, so if you were a character, from your perspective you would die, black out for a view minutes, and then open your eyes and see your new body.

12. Fuzions

Fuzions Zero Gravity Genie

Well yeah, that's why it's called dying...

I like how this gives a sense of your character actually dying, and not just poofing back to the spawn point for no reason.

Dragrath and Alanzer-DNA like this.
  13. It'll be really difficult to do, figuring every single one of us has actually no idea how to even play Starbound. We will all die at least once im guessing in our first play-through, simply because we are new. Maybe my second run? :badpokerface:

14. Alanzer-DNA

Sure thing!
    I'm certain we all are going to die in our first try :DD

15. Im gunna be so sad if I die on the final boss or something..

Dragrath likes this.
  16. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

I actually just bought this shirt 2 weeks ago. It's amazing.

17. Alanzer-DNA

It's truly awesome, I want one too!
    I'm jelly... :sneaky:

18. DakoShark

DakoShark Pangalactic Porcupine

Currently I think that the cloning should be something along the lines of, each character has a chip implanted in their head that constantly keeps track of their consciousness and uploads it to a virtual data bank upon complete death, possible like an intergalactic version of wireless internet. When one dies the cloning machine uses the consciousness in data bank to rebuild your brain to the exact specs and inject your prior consciousness. So it's kinda like a flash drive for your brain. :D

It's sci-fi, there's a lot of ways to stretch it. :rofl:

I am really interested in how they are going to go about the cloning though. I do hope it's going to be more explained then just, you die and get cloned, the end.

Dragrath likes this.
  19. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

actually, things like "saving consciousness to upload it" run down the same line of "the clone is just a copy programmed to be you" in some sort.
    we'd have to go with an explanation that goes downright to "this machine toys with your soul" on a metaphysical level...

20. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

People who are worried about being cloned should play as robots.

Roxie Stables and Garneac like this.