1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Reincarnation Through Science!(Gif from tiy)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DawnOfNights, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Ravenous Space Rat

Ravenous Space Rat Cosmic Narwhal

[​IMG]

Baxter Stockman.
    The original one looked better in my opinion.

2. purywury

purywury Void-Bound Voyager

It's more like a Ctrl+c / Ctrl+v machine

3. Broseph Stalin

Broseph Stalin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wouldn't the consciousness in this case be "you" the player? :) And you're just standing by for the body to finish? Sorry this is from pages ago but that was a fun thought exercise.

purywury and Alanzer-DNA like this.
  4. Charon

Charon Void-Bound Voyager

Hm, perhaps there'll be some quick way of just getting back up to the planet's surface then? Though I guess that would make the spaceship restriction kinda pointless, so probably not...

5. shcfyd

shcfyd Subatomic Cosmonaut

i feel the need to watch the fifth element again...

6. Poltergeist

Poltergeist Zero Gravity Genie

Yes sir I like it.

7. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

We do technically have flying cars: planes. And we also do have hovercraft, just not for use in public.
    Technology is always connected.

8. This is the thing I meant exactly. Technology is connected, but it's not all-purpose. Or all-mighty.

Gorshum, purywury and Alanzer-DNA like this.
  9. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

i had a thought, seeing how as the player respawns(get's cloned) and is wearing nothing but a speedo, will each time a player respawns(cloned) their inventory equipment be reset?

what i mean by this is that say my toon is wearing standard human armor tier 1, a few tech slots equipped etc.
    when i die and get cloned-will i come back nearly naked and have to re-equip all my gear? or will i get cloned wearing everything and having everything equipped etc.?

of course, the player could just be naked from the start and was shown that way just for demonstration purposes, but it doesn't hurt to ask to be sure

10. Sounds like another good reason to not die.;)

11. 70calories

70calories Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd like it far better if your character showed up in just a speedo and you had to re-equip it from your inventory

12. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

sounds like a pain in the ass to me :badpokerface:

unless i can click on some fancy box that has my inventory in it or whatever and it automatically re-equips all my stuff i just had on or something after being cloned

blind sniper likes this.
  13. 70calories

unless you plain on dying an awful lot I don't really see that being an issue after all the whole point is doing your hardest not to die if you don't die no need to re-equip your items lol

14. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

I have the perfect explanation for why you keep your stuff !
    As you can see on your character when you play, you only ever see what you have in your hands.
    Thats because, like in borderlands, all your items are stored on a digital buffer !
    "digistructing" (cue borderland) things in your hands as you need them.
    Then, when you die, the data from the buffer gets transfered to your new character, but data transfering on such long range causes decay in the data stream, and to make sure major items arent lost/partially destructed, it "destroys" your pixel bills instead !

how do you like that for an explanation :D !

15. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

Planes don't actually fit the term "flying car" very well. A real flying car should be able to drive on roads safely and legally, but go airborne at a moment's notice. Large aircraft wings and lack of ground maneuverability get in the way of this goal. It's been attempted many times but nobody's perfected the technology. As for hovercraft, I can go buy one right now. It's not really any different from buying a jetski.

Gorshum, Alanzer-DNA and 70calories like this.
  16. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Then why there are backpacks? :unsure:

17. 70calories

For you hipsters who "Been using a backpack before it was cool"

18. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

backpack ? i dont recall seeing backpacks apart from the inventory icons...

but i can explain that too. carrying so many items requires a matter condensator for digistructing, a powerful battery and the digital buffer processor, which combined take more place than you'd be able to carry without a backpack. but the end result allows much higher carrying capacity

edit : i can do better ! woxandwarf ask what stops us from meddling with the computer to get more items ?
    the good guys at Mann.co galactic thought about it and putted a failsafe on the system to ensure no illegal tampering is done with it, but sadly, some pirate still make it throught (inventory editors) and other time, the system simply glitches (duplication bugs)

ta-daaa !!

19. DrPhibes

DrPhibes Pangalactic Porcupine

I find it quite amusing that people aren't comfortable with cloning in a game that has interstellar space travel (maybe even intergalactic). You know, the kind of space travel that would consume more energy than there is in the whole universe.

20. I really like the cloning aspect. It not only gives you an explanation for re-spawning, but it ties in with the science fiction theme as well. As far as losing your gear, I like the idea of dropping everything upon death with the possibility of going back to your original body and picking it up, or just losing everything completely. The fact that everything is randomly generated will give an authentic sense of loss since it's unlikely you'll ever find the same weapon again. I also like the idea of storing the weapon information in a database that will allow you to recreate all of your gear/weapons for a price.

Alanzer-DNA likes this.