Realism mode

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by cheese, Mar 1, 2012.

1. cheese

cheese Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks =]
    Added to the food bullet on the main post.

2. Pride

Pride Subatomic Cosmonaut

Why is this realism? It sounds like stuff that would just be in the game.

3. cheese

cheese Subatomic Cosmonaut

This would be an optional mode that adds this stuff.
    A good majority of people don't like this kind of game mechanic.

4. Pride

Pride Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well sure for hunger and stuff, but invasions and natural disasters seem morel ike cool gameplay features than super realistic stuff people dislike.

5. Spacefawx

Spacefawx Big Damn Hero

Oxygen is pretty obvious to have in the normal mode, i think all except weariness and food/water shall be in the game.

6. Eta

Eta Pangalactic Porcupine

Diseases, types of clothing, radiation, recreation, potions or syringes not working immediately, hygiene, and the list goes on.
    The problem is, when do you limit the boundaries of realism? No one wants to wake their character up, brush their teeth, etc..., so there has to be a balance between tediousness and challenge.

7. Camelslayer

Camelslayer Cosmic Narwhal

I know that Minecraft did something pretty similar, eventually added a mode that required you to eat in order to survive. Fallout: New Vegas as well- eat and sleep to survive. It always irked me how so many games never really had a mode like this... I mean, if you're going to do a survival game, you should at LEAST have a mode to require eating and sleeping for those that actually want some realism.

8. Hazenjong

Hazenjong Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Read this post a little late, but here is my opinion about temperatures.
    Whenever you find yourself on a cold planet and have no thermal suit or something else to keep you warm and thus alive, I think it should be possible to warm yourself up with temporary heat sources like campfires or a fireplace of sorts. The pyromaniacs under us could probably benefit from forest fires also :devil:

Also the needs should be progressive, that if you so desire you can ignore them for a little while and do your own thing without much trouble. Ignore them for too long however and you character will show that by getting tired or actual freezing/burning.

9. Alvin Flummox

Alvin Flummox Existential Complex

I love this idea! There was a similar idea on TO and I think it would work great in a 2D sandbox game :) The only one I'm not sure about is mining supports though. Might be difficult to make it work with the randomly generated caves that are already in the game.

10. Malbutorius

Malbutorius Void-Bound Voyager

A Ballenced Diet: Such as the need to have Calories, fat's, Ect.

11. nerdgf

nerdgf Void-Bound Voyager

I think those features should be just normally there, and for a hardcore mode, I would add some more complex mechanics like body temperature, some more complex pressure mechanics (you wouldn't be able to just descend 10 meters into water, it would be, for a not trained person, possibly fatal), body reactions to different situations (like addrenaline when your character gets hit in total darkness, so he gets faster for some secs).
    Other than that, I think hunger and stuff shoudl just be there, they make the gameplay so much more frsutrating and fun at the same time.

12. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

Well natural disasters, gravity, temperature, and unique events are all ready announced in game. Those are kinda expected of a game like this :proper:

13. The Great Beezle

The Great Beezle Industrial Terraformer

Health vunerability - If you take a large amount of a certain kind of damage, you could begin to bleed which would increase the damage you take and slowly deplete your health further, also makes poisons and other ailments more effective against you, requiring more medicine etc that usual.

14. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

All this as server options sounds good to me. :ssssssssss:

15. Dave Combine

Dave Combine Corporate Co-Chair

****** I WAS GOING TO SAY THAT

Anyway another thing to add is breakable bones; fall to much/to great of a fall your leg could break, or arms could break, or explosions could break your spine or something.

16. SirValentineCatsСта́лкер

SirValentineCatsСта́лкер Subatomic Cosmonaut

pressurization suits.... you need them to survive in high/low pressure environments such as deep ocean or low/no atmosphere planets.

also a sort of extension to the Health vunerability suggestion would be injuries such as broken legs that would slow you down if you fall too far and concussions (I have been playing Dayz) that would occasionally mess with your controls till you recover and my favorite BODY PART LOSS! nothing gives me more enjoyment from a game than crawling semiconscious away from a battle to bleed out in the middle of nowhere... perhaps this is a little overboard but I think you can never go too far when doing realism.

17. Mikele97

Mikele97 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think this is fucking awesome and funny :D

18. Sounds like a great idea, I'd sure play it. Although I don't know how easy it would be for them to turn on physics in mineshafts.

19. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

Realism? REALISM!?
    troll face computer.png
    Realism...

Mikele97 likes this.
  20. Mastaf

Mastaf Big Damn Hero

It's a great idea, but it should be more like mod or, if it would be into original game, it shouldn't happen too often. I think breathing and gravity are both great ideas, such as temperature, natural disasters and invasions, but I wouldn't like a situation when I'm deep into dungeon or a cave, nearly discovered it's secrets, and there I'm starving and losing life, having to go back to my house because I forgot my food. If it would be like debuff, meaning more thirst - slower moving, mining, losing ability to regenerate - then no problem.