1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

rate my render

Discussion in 'Art' started by josh jones, Apr 1, 2013.

1. josh jones

josh jones Subatomic Cosmonaut

Sorry for my absence, took an unexpected vacation. Ye request is being worked on right now and as for more of my stuff here are some of my abstract pictures i make when i get inspired by music.
    justin.png photoshop.jpg upgrade.png

a rendition of a borderlands 2 gun i liked
    gun.png

Seajun_ and Jonesy like this.
  2. Nice job man! I hate to be bothering you, but do you have an idea when my request will be done?

3. josh jones

How does this look sir. i can change anything you feel needs to be changed. request.jpg

Seajun_ and Jonesy like this.
  4. I love it, but I do have a few problems, regarding its intended use. Since i'll be using it as clan banner, it's look better on the forums if it was just text on a transparent background. I may use this for something else, though... Anyway, the other thing is that for the dagger, I was thinking something more like this:
    [​IMG]
    But if you'd rather leave the dagger the same, that fine.

5. josh jones

making that wont be hard at all ill get right on it :)

Seajun_ likes this.
  6. Rakuida

Rakuida Phantasmal Quasar

Since I'm no expert in this stuff, I really cant properly rate it.
    From my eye, though, I guess it'll be an 10/10

7. Yocjo

Yocjo Master Chief

Nice Art. Which program did you use? Blender, Cinema4D or Maya???
    And could you please tell me the name of those font, which you used in the starbound logo? :p

Thanks.

josh jones likes this.
  8. .technoSprint

.technoSprint Orbital Explorer

I like all of those renders, the Pokeball one is great. However, sometimes it looks to me like you use a bit too much depth of blur (which is especially prevalent in the one with the arm and the sword)

josh jones likes this.
  9. Connorses

Connorses Big Damn Hero

Yeah sometimes the blur is a bit to much but if it's used well it looks more like a photograph which is cool.

josh jones, this is great work! Are you using Blender for this? I've really gotten into the modeling and animation with Blender but not so much textures lighting or rendering... Where did you learn to make these things?

josh jones likes this.
  10. Shooting Star

Shooting Star Existential Complex

Nice! love it to bad I'm foreign to this kind of art but I like what I see that's for sure!

josh jones likes this.
  11. josh jones

I tried blender but the navigation when I move objects makes my brain hurt a little but other people really seem to like it. I use c4d- cinema4d for everything I do. All I have learned came from YouTube and personal exploration. I can't afford the classes for actual lessons and I'm still in highschool so I don't really have any further education.its really easy to learn once you put on some good music and just go with it.

12. So, sorry to bother you again, but do you have an estimated time of completion on the banner?

13. Lumberjack_Liam

Lumberjack_Liam Existential Complex

The pokèballs are amazing.

josh jones likes this.
  14. Mega Man X

Mega Man X Industrial Terraformer

Incredible work.

josh jones likes this.
  15. josh jones

Got two files here for ya.
    banner.png

and

banner2.png

A.R.N.E. and Seajun_ like this.
  16. A.R.N.E.

A.R.N.E. Orbital Explorer

The second one is much cleaner and allows you to see the two knives at first glance. Have you thought of blurring the particles and contrasting the background? I think that would help the first image stand out more.

Great work btw, I like the fracture reality alot.

17. Connorses

Connorses Big Damn Hero

The knives show up fine on a white background (I opened the image in a new tab). I agree the lettering is cool (what is that font?).

And why not give these knives materials/textures to look more like that photo? That way they're instantly recognizable.

18. Gandalf

Gandalf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I attempted to learn to render and animate 3D models in Blender, but stopped due to not dedicating enough time to it. Those pictures make me want to try again.

So it's pretty much a Gandalf Approval/10.

19. josh jones

If you have a passion for it than get back into it. When I first got into it my work was not near as good but I worked for better results. I actually dropped it for about a year and saw some work done by some really good people. It completely inspired me to get back into it. If you want a change from blender try cinema or maybe even max I believe they both have trials. Find something that feels fluid to you and Google the crap out of it. Learn all you can. Watch a good Pixar movie and get inspired.

20. Gandalf

Gandalf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I visited Pixar's studios a while back, seeing some pictures and concept art was amazing for inspiration and insight on how they work. I'll definitely try to get back into it, although it'll be on a list of soooo many things I want to do.