Questions on Talking to Villagers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheMediocreMrRook, Mar 27, 2016.

1. TheMediocreMrRook

TheMediocreMrRook Pangalactic Porcupine

Just a few things I'd like to clear up about the mechanics of when you get the +20 friendship and what prevents you from losing friendship.

1. If a villager has a conversation that lasts multiple clicks, do you need to go through the whole thing, or just the first one?

2. Does talking to a villager at a seasonal event count? My guess initially was yes, since there frequently isn't any other way to reach them on the day of a festival due to the area being cut off; however, I know that it doesn't count for the introductions quest, so I'm not sure.

3. What about non-seasonal (eg heart) events?

4. Does interacting with a shopkeeper (Clint, Pierre, etc) to buy things count as talking to them?

• Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

Just the first thing. As long as you interact with them to get the dialogue box up, you get the points.

I don't believe it does - I can't confirm this however. I might test this out on a spare save file I have and see if the relationship figures increase in the save file after talking to someone once at a festival. Will let you know.

As in, do you get friendship points with talking to someone during a heart event? If that's what you mean (clarify if not), then no you do not. You have to actively seek them out after the event if you hadn't already talked to them.

Buying things does not, talking to them directly and not interacting with the shop counter to open the buy/sell screen.

DatRaph likes this.
      • TheMediocreMrRook

Thank you! That's everything. The first and last ones were the only ones that'll have an impact on how I play; while it'd be nice to know about festivals, that's still only going to be a couple days a season, so it isn't a big deal if I don't know for sure.

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

What about in the heart events where you're given dialogue choices. Say...if you answer right in Leah's 4 heart event, will you gain more relationship points, or what?

Also...what about the dialogue questions they ask as you talk to them in town (Abby about her hair, etc.)?

• TheMediocreMrRook

I assume (based on stuff on the wiki) that it doesn't count as talking to them during the day with respect to the +20/-2, but that certain dialogue options get their own unique friendship bonuses.

• WATERTHOOOOOSSEE

WATERTHOOOOOSSEE Phantasmal Quasar

A few events on a few villagers either reduce or give Points.

• zoeevee

zoeevee Zero Gravity Genie

Thankfully I haven't noticed a noticeable reduction. I hate pandering.

• Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Far as I know talking to them in a season event does not count. But unsure of that.

However what I do know is it does not count towards that initial quest to meet everyone. That you have to seek them out on your own time mostly.

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Yeah, I run through and talk to everyone in every event anyway, because...well...it can't hurt, right? ^^

Tamorr likes this.
                    • gilbertlew

gilbertlew Void-Bound Voyager

I can confirm that I did not complete the introductions quest for year 1 of Spring. During the egg festival I was able to have a dialog with everyone there. The next day after the festival I checked my introductions quest and it was still uncompleted.

• WATERTHOOOOOSSEE

Its actually really hard to get a small reduction (Ranging from 20 to a whopping 6 hearts lost When you reject penny in the bathhouse event)
                        Because,its easy to define if the dialog was rood or not.

• zoeevee

zoeevee Zero Gravity Genie

Yeah for the most part it's clear what not to choose. I mostly mean the questions of like Lewis and Demetrius where they ask your opinion. Sorry Lewis, I think you're being dumb and should be open about your relationship. Demetrius, you know damn well your wife did not mean tomatoes when she asked for some fruit, gtfo! I'm happy I don't have to play to their bullshit and lose a bunch of hearts. At least I have not noticed a reduction.

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

If there's normally a reduction for the "wrong" responses here...then I'm guessing it's probably around 1-2 days of "speaking to them" at most, if it's not noticeable. Penny's though...that's way noticeable. I'll NEVER be able to reject her, cause I don't want to break her heart and see that crying face portrait. ;_;

• WATERTHOOOOOSSEE

I was like,Demetrius,even though its scientifically proven,DO YOU EAT TOMATOES LIKE A FREAKING APPLE?!

• meatpardle

meatpardle Star Wrangler

He probably does just to prove a point, the smug fuck.

• WATERTHOOOOOSSEE

i wouldnt want to buy a plastic bag full of tomatoes if i wanted to prove my point,i think i overdosed him with coffee.