Modding Help Question About Guns

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by projectmayhem, May 3, 2017.

1. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

Working on adding different tiers of the blasters in my mod, and I'm looking at some of the "tier 1" guns like Iron Assault Rifle and I'm a little confused at the way they appear in game. In the active item file, it says the base DPS is 10.5.

In game is says the Rate of Fire is 9.1 and Damage Per Shot is 1.2

When you shoot something, it does 8 damage most shots, sometimes 15 damage.

Why doesn't it say Damage Per Shot 8 or something?

I think it's safe to assume the Rate of Fire is based off "fireTime" : 0.11, right?

So what does it base the 1.2 Damage Per Shot off of? Base DPS / fireTime? It doesn't seem to be an accurate representation of what the weapon's damage per shot actually is.

2. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

Well I'd confirm that, but from the numbers you've given, it is most definitely baseDPS * fireTime, but it is also multiplied by player damage multiplier. I mostly work with guns, but it has been awhile since I've worked on anything, so I kinda forgot :(

3. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

You know, I did forget to account for my armor. I need to test it all out naked.

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Also note that the damage shown in the tooltip is the calculation of the weapon stats PLUS a modifier based on weapon level. Armor modifiers will not reflect in the tooltiop.

4x for level 6
    3.5x for level 5
    3x for level 4
    2.5x for level 3
    2x for level 2
    1.5x for level 1

5. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

And that most monsters probably have some damage reduction ("punchy" shouldn't, I think?)

6. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

He doesn't, also lower tiered enemies don't either, the lowest tier enemy that has armor that I can think of is the weird chestnut enemy that becomes three little onion looking things when you defeat it (master of description right here).

There is like maybe two-three or even four DIFFERENT places where damages is calculated. Usually in the weapon's ability script, the actual range script, and sometimes in certain situations other scripts will add additional calculations (like elemental damage and resistances). Oh... and the player/npc/monster.lua, that's where armor is usually applied if I remember right.

7. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Always saw it as a potato :rofl:

MetaFace likes this.