1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about certain ,,features''

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by MrStrangerPL, Jul 31, 2016.

1. MrStrangerPL

MrStrangerPL Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh boy... I really was asking myself, if I should post it or not, but what the hell. What's the worst that could happen?

So, I made a character, using a beta character creator on the site.
    [​IMG]
    Here it is. A female avian.

Then I used the in-game creator.
    [​IMG]
    Mostly the same. Mostly.

As you can see, she's missing certain ,,features''. I mean, I don't want to sound weird, but what's the reasoning behind it?

Here's some randomly generated characters. Male, and female.
    apm.png apfem.png
    Apex. Male, and Female.
    avm.png avfem.png
    Avian. Male, and Female.
    flm.png flfem.png
    Floran. Male, and Female.

Hard to tell the difference, right? I mean, You allow people in your game to run around completely nude, but then you ,,nerf the informative features'' of your clothes. Who came up with that idea?

And that's not even it.
    ship.png
    Welcome to my ship.
    Good luck trying to recognise anyone there. I know there's only so much you can do with pixel art, but come on. Many of the clothes are far less ,,informative'' than I remembered. Most of the armors are unisex too.

tl;dr: Where da boobz at. Also more gender variety.

xsSplater and Lindazana like this.
  2. Arti78

Arti78 Space Kumquat

3. MrStrangerPL

Saw it. A little to much. Old look was just enough. I'm also lying to myself, that it's for the greater good. That it's a higher cause. That I don't want people running around, screaming ,,Did you just assume my gender?'' cause most of the armors/clothing look the same.

4. nothingtoseehere

nothingtoseehere Void-Bound Voyager

I agree, we need either a mod to bring back original looks or an official option to toggle "features"

5. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

I noticed this but didn't want to point it out. The, eh, shading of some female armors seems to have been toned down.
    I don't really have a problem with it, but it was an unexpected and surprising change.

6. Sean Mirrsen

Sean Mirrsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think if there ever was a single phrase to concisely describe the 1.0 release of the game we got, that would be it. A single word would still probably have been "disappointment", though.

Lindazana, Ravis, Shaadaris and 2 others like this.
  7. Efrim

Efrim Pangalactic Porcupine

I had the opposite reaction to this. I was disturbed that there were genders for the Glitch at all; and that any race but humans and apex had mammary glands.

Zinerith and evilnancyreagan like this.
  8. MrStrangerPL

They technically were designed as a civilisation. It is only realistic for them to have both genders, for experiment to be reliable. I don't know how Florans ,,work'', and nobody knows how Novakids work.

Avians, tho. What's the reasoning behind it, other than:

[​IMG]

But that's asking why Starbound is Starbound. It was designed that way. Maybe they wanted a clear way to separate genders. Works fine, if you ask me. Why change it mid way tho? At the very end, even.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  9. LittleWasp

LittleWasp Big Damn Hero

Wait, they toned down the tits? So that's why the armour looked so dull on my female glitch.

0/10, Chuckleduck. See me after class.

10. Shooting Star

Shooting Star Existential Complex

Now I got the image in front of me of a kid doing a biology test. "what species have mammary glands?"

Answer:"mammals birds plants fish EVERYONE, everyone's equal!"

11. Arti78

Arti78 Space Kumquat

FYI, the pictures on the mod are pretty old. And there's two versions.

12. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

I imagine the reasoning was Starbound being heavily inspired by old Space Operas like Star Trek, where just about anything that was humanoid had males and females which looked like human males and females.
    So they took that and ran with it. Besides, scientific accuracy isn't exactly a big deal in this game.

evilnancyreagan likes this.
  13. Sean Mirrsen

As far as scientific accuracy... it is theoretically unlikely that alien life evolving on different planets would end up being humanoid. That we have so many species of humanoid design, points at a level of cosmic coincidence that can not be easily explained by convergent evolution. It is, therefore, more scientifically likely that there is an element of intelligent design present in all species across the board - and as long as that holds true, similarities in gender varieties and specific features of sexual dimorphism are actually not that unlikely.

14. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

Remember when you could power your interstellar spacecraft with logs?

hehe yeah.... :yeahhhh:

Yeah, there was that one episode of TNG that covered this.

15. Shadow86

Shadow86 Pangalactic Porcupine

A number of sci-fi universes explain the predominance of humanoid species as the work of some earlier master race, who were themselves humanoid. The typical Ancients, Progenitors, Forerunners, you name it. But at the same time, in the case of several TV shows and sometimes movies, it was mostly an excuse since you couldn't otherwise put actors in costumes.

While a valid explanation, it's a rather tired one. There's many ways to convey sexual dimorphism without sticking tits on the females. Just look at our own planet's non-mammals: other features change, sometimes one gender is larger than the other, sometimes there's colour differences, etc.

16. Sean Mirrsen

Also true. Of course in this case it's more a limit of the medium. Can't have much difference between body types because all armor sprites are race-agnostic, and all races are supposed to be mechanically the same, etc. Same reason why Oblivion and Skyrim changed to universally using cathay breeds of Khajiit, rather than suthay-raht previously seen in Morrowind, despite all breeds theoretically being equally omnipresent thanks to being determined by the phases of the moons, not location.

17. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah, you saw that episode too!

that blatant answer here is that boobs are easy to understand and aesthetically pleasing (objectively, not objectifyingly). he likes boobs, she likes boobs, everybody likes boobs!

YAY BOOBS! :)

18. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

Boobs and snug shirts were options and fun for some people. Only makes sense they be removed along with the rest of the majority of both of those.

19. Arti78

Arti78 Space Kumquat

OH and the mod I posted, has an update for Frackin' Universe.

20. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

In B4 'Avian XXX mod' is released......