Q and A: (OLD) READ IMPORTANT TEXT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by silver593, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Cloakedboltz

Cloakedboltz Guest

If this game works like Harvest Moon, you should be able to put items in a shipping box which is picked up in the evening and the next day you should be given money according to the stuff you shipped.

• ConcernedApe

ConcernedApe Stardew Valley Dev Developer

Q: Will there be horrible corporations that force you to buy GE seeds and market fluctuations that force you to be in hock to those corporations.
      A: Kind of, actually... the "main storyline" of the game will involve a corporation trying to exploit the valley for their own ends... and the resulting erosion of the small-town atmosphere.

Q: is there going to be a currency system i.e. what you produce on your farm can be sold for currency which you can use to buy more things?
      A: Yes!

Q: Does the weather change? If so what kind of weather can be expected to be seen and how would they affect the environment?
      A: Yes... so far there is rain, wind, thunder, snow, sunny and "netural". Wind happens in fall and can sometimes cause things like trees or crops on your farm to sway and maybe drop anything they were "holding". It also adds to the atmosphere. Thunder can possibly damage your crops, but it's not finalized yet. Snow, sunny, and neutral are purely cosmetic at this point, but... as always everything is still being worked on and added to. I'm also interested in maybe adding more weathers.
      Q: Can you ride a horse or other animal to make moving around faster?
      A: Not yet...
      Q: Is the game world infinite?
      A: No.

silver593 and Voyager like this.
      • silver593

silver593 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks :) I've update the thread. Good job on the game so far. :)

• Cloakedboltz

Cloakedboltz Guest

On the MetaGaming interview CA says he wanted to name the game Sprout Valley but he didn't like the sound of the name and he feels like something like that was in a Harvest Moon game before (Sprout Island).
          He also wanted to name it Stardrop Valley, but he didn't like how it sounded.
          So he settled for Stardew Valley.

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

I like the name Stardew Valley better than the other names :D

• Arakuze

Arakuze Aquatic Astronaut

I am pleased that my questions have been answered. The fact that wind actually affects the environment is something I have not seen before and piques my interest. However I now have a few more question that has been nagging me in the back of my mind.

Are there difficulty levels and if so what aspects of the game would they affect. Such as making it harder to maintain crops or upping damage from monsters.

Will we be able to cook?

I have not actually seen much information about the crafting system, can anyone give any details about that?

Would there be any other portable light sources besides torches? [Example a lantern that you could carry to light up what's around you.]

That's all for now.

• silver593

Q:Are there difficulty levels and if so what aspects of the game would they affect. Such as making it harder to maintain crops or upping damage from monsters.
                :paper:Unknown. But it is certainly possible.

Q:Will we be able to cook?
                :paper:Yes.

Q:Would there be any other portable light sources besides torches? [Example a lantern that you could carry to light up what's around you.]
                :paper:Yes.

• Blackthorn

Blackthorn Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've got some question. The first one, Will be there any option to changing, makich or even buying some clothes like jackets or hats? The second one, is there any chance for special events(eg. birthday parties, helping neighbours to repairing some stuff destroyed by weather?). Next question: Will be there any newspapers with information about weather, events, festivals or just about town and its people, mails with birthday party invitation? :)
                  Can we swim?

Sorry for too many questions, but I'm curious about this game, and can't wait to play it.

• silver593

There will be customization for your character upon creation. Hopefully there will be in game items to change your characters appearance. There will be special events I've already answered this up in the main topic. Ability to swim is unknown.

• Silverduke1

Silverduke1 Giant Laser Beams

the ability to swim would be nice though

• WMoose

WMoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

An important question for multiplayer - Will Stardew Valley require the use of third party addons (Like Log-Me-In Hamachi) for multiplayer, or require people to port forward their routers to access other servers? This is a very irritating aspect of games like Terraria for the casual gamer to have to set up in addition to running the game, and it would be nice if multiplayer just works.

• Kaobasa

Kaobasa Space Spelunker

I hope this is something that gets addressed from the developer soon. I really hope everything is easy to use and can be done in-game. I'd still buy the game for myself and probably some family members but it'd be incredibly disappointing to not be able to play with friends and family. Things like Hamachi just get in the way of something that should be simple.

• Kaobasa

Kaobasa Space Spelunker

I've noticed in the videos on SV that the character is only able to do an action one square at a time, like dig up one spot. Will we be able to have equipment or get the stats that lets us do several squares at once or do "multiple" chops with an axe?

• WMoose

Given that they have migrated to a more mouse friendly interface from what I have read, it probably would not be too difficult to create items that cover a large square as opposed to just a single square. They could also possibly have a drag interface that let's you size a square to whatever area would be appropriate for your planting or harvesting. I will make the suggestion in the suggestions forum.

• Cariyaga

Cariyaga Void-Bound Voyager

If hybrid crops are not available at launch, as part of the game, would it be possible to mod them in? Or, assuming that they do exist, will it be possible to create additional hybrid crops through modding?

• CrazyCraig

CrazyCraig Space Hobo

Q- I heard a rumor that Stardew valley was going to be on xbox 360, is this true?

• silver593

Don't believe rumors. Odds are that it wont be for xbox 360. It could be in in several years but I find it unlikely.

• silver593

Sure it would possible to mod them in. The only issue is if this game will be legally modable. In other words, if the game isn't legally modable you can make mods for the game, but you cant distribute the mods. The game may be unmodable but that's quite alright because the game is great without mods.

This is already in the game for placing buildings. Buildings take up several squares and you drag the large house icon until it is no longer red indicating you have found a valid placing area.

Great question. I've been wandering this myself. I honestly don't know what to tell you except that its a possibility it will have a system using Steam to invite players to your game. Though this is less likely it could still happen. Id like to assume that LAN will be in the game so if you have a sibling you can both play from separate computers in the same home. This is a question I will have to wait for concernedape to answer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
                                      • WMoose

This is not actually what I was referencing, but it's nice to know that as I have not read that anywhere else!
                                        What I was talking about, I posted in the suggestions forum, here is a quote for reference:

• Kisox

Kisox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Didn't CA already said that there will be a way to mod the game?