Q and A: (OLD) READ IMPORTANT TEXT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by silver593, Feb 20, 2013.

1. silver593

silver593 Subatomic Cosmonaut

IMPORTANT: I have not been able to find time to get on here as much as I use to do to complications in the real world, I do not think I will be able to update this post anymore. I am perfectly ok with an admin giving this post over to someone else for them to update it as I cannot.

Though there is already a FAQ on the website, I would like users to post as many questions they have possible in this thread, I will try my best to answer them all. Once several questions have been asked and are given a reliable answer I will make a link here leading to another thread with all the Q and A.

Below are the Q and As, if you see a :paper: at the beginning of a purple line it was stated by me in my opinnon or what I know. If there is just an "A:" that means the answer is from ConcernedApe himself.

Shout out to Cloakedboltz for finding information on quite a bit of questions. He has really helped me out on starting this project. :)

Also CA has answered some questions here on the forums.

Remember this list is incomplete and is subject to change in the future.

Availability

• Q: Will the game be on other outlets?
    • A: I'd like to get Stardew Valley on Desura as soon as it's ready. Hopefully that will be fairly soon!
    • :paper: Remember, fairly soon could mean next week, month, or season is what I would like to assume.
    • Q: Any possibility of native Linux support?
    • A: I haven't looked into it yet, but after the game is out I promise I will see about it, and if it's not too difficult I will do it. I like linux and I would feel good supporting those who use it.
    • :paper: It is not confirmed if he will make it for Linux, it will come out for windows first and if it isn't too difficult to port he will most likely make it for Linux but don't get your hopes up. Id like to assume it will eventually be out for Linux.
    • Q: So how is the game doing on Greenlight?
    • A: They show me the percentage toward making the top 100. Even if the game isn't greenlit I will put it on desura, so you'll be able to play it one way or another.
    • :paper: I'm very positive it will make it onto steam. Check out the StardewValley greenlight here and like it up!
    Controls

• Q: [...] why does it (the game) feel SO console-y. In my opinion you could use the given opportunities which come with a mouse and a keyboard [...]
    • A: I'm actually currently in the process of shifting the controls over to a mouse-centered (and hopefully much more intuitive and PC-ish) system. For example, to sow seeds you select the seeds in your toolbar and then click them onto the ground with your mouse. I've also completely redesigned the menu system, and I think It's turned out a lot better than the original. In short, I totally agree with you and you can be sure that the final game will look and feel a lot different than some of the current vids/screenshots.
    Gameplay

• Q: Festivals?
    • A: Festivals won't be in the initial release of the game, but there will be other kinds of events that will hopefully add more variety to the gameplay. Events could certainly be added in the future too.
    • :paper: There will be events in the game just not "Festivals" at release which are believed to be celebrations in a town of your player achieving something.
    • Q: I'm already glad that I'll be able to play a girl, but will there be any possibility of girl/girl or boy/boy relationships in the game, or can you only woo/marry the opposite sex?
    • A: Yep, same-sex dating/marriage is absolutely supported in Stardew Valley. Woo and marry whoever you like!
    • Q: No offense to ANYONE but if what I mentioned above [same-sex marriage] is true, I would like to see a option to disable it, as it is against my beliefs. Again NO OFFENCE TO ANYONE MENT!!!!!!!!
    • A: Before any of the datables will say anything overtly romantic to you, you must first give them a bouquet to indicate you want to date them. This avoids any unwanted affectionate dialogue from the wrong person... not only for someone interested in a boy/girl relationship but also for those interested in pursuing same-sex relationships. So you won't need to turn anything off; If you only pursue people of the opposite sex then you won't really encounter anything else.
    • Q: Is there an "ending" at which point it's Game Over?
    • A: Currently there is an evaluation event after 2 years to determine whether you've earned the title of "Stardew Hero". It's not really that important, though... you get to keep playing as long as you want afterward. I would love to keep adding more and more content with time. It's definitely my plan if SV ends up being a success! I am already moving the game towards an "endless" system (e.g. dynamic personalities/schedules for the townspeople), and it will only become more like that in the future. There are so many possibilities!
    • Q: It sounds awesome, but... 2 years to do what? What do we have to do?
    • A: The game goes on forever after the first 2 years have been played, the 2 year mark is only relevant to winning the title of Stardew Hero. You could just ignore the Stardew Hero challenge if you chose to, and play forever. Also, the game will be different each time you play through it (based on the gender you choose, whom you befriend, where you spend your levelling up points etc) because I wanted to encourage replayability.
    • :paper: When he says "2 years" I believe he means in game time which will be faster than real-time.
    • Q: Will Torches be able to removed by hand too, or just pickaxe?
    • A: Torches will probably be removable by hand.
    • Q: Are Farming, Mining, Luck, etc, skills or stats modified by the equipment worn?
    • A: I am still in the process of figuring out the exact details of the accessories system, but yes they will improve your stats in some way. The main thing I am trying to avoid, though, is having players feel like they always need to change their outfit based on whatever task they are doing. I always find that annoying in games.
    • Q: One thing I didn't like about HM was that after you got married in most HM games, your spouse (and future kid) did absolutely nothing to help with the farm, and they just stayed in the house 24/7. Is it like that in this game too??
    • A: Yeah, your spouse will help you out around the farm and may also go into town to visit or shop. They will also go outside on the farm to take a walk or just enjoy the nice weather.
    • Q:Is there a option to customize your character or is it default sets of male and female?
    • A: Right now you can customize the color of your clothes, hair, eyes, and skin. There will probably also be some slight character specialization (similar to birthsigns in the elder scrolls)
    • Q: It seems like we would be able to manage our plot of land as we wish, but will it be possible to alter the other areas as well? Like the town itself.
    • A: The layout of the town is set, but as of now you can place down craftables on any of the maps (that might change before release). NPC's may destroy any items placed in their path, but you can easily build around that. Also, I might have customization of colors for some buildings on the farm, but no promises for the initial release.
    • Q: Where are we aloud to build in SV?
    • :paper:Currently you can build in all biomes given that you have the resources and this enough to space to place down buildings. There will be certain areas that you will not be aloud to build large structures, one of these areas would be caves.
    • Q: Will there be pets?
    • :paper:It is certainly possible, there will be pigs, cows, chickens, and many more farm animals. There is a high possibility that there will be dogs and cats that may simply wander the town or your home.
    • Q: Will there be horrible corporations that force you to buy GE seeds and market fluctuations that force you to be in hock to those corporations.
      A: Kind of, actually... the "main storyline" of the game will involve a corporation trying to exploit the valley for their own ends... and the resulting erosion of the small-town atmosphere.
    • Q: is there going to be a currency system i.e. what you produce on your farm can be sold for currency which you can use to buy more things?
      A: Yes!
    • Q: Does the weather change? If so what kind of weather can be expected to be seen and how would they affect the environment?
      A: Yes... so far there is rain, wind, thunder, snow, sunny and "netural". Wind happens in fall and can sometimes cause things like trees or crops on your farm to sway and maybe drop anything they were "holding". It also adds to the atmosphere. Thunder can possibly damage your crops, but it's not finalized yet. Snow, sunny, and neutral are purely cosmetic at this point, but... as always everything is still being worked on and added to. I'm also interested in maybe adding more weathers.
    • :paper: Yes, according to the SV trailer you can see that it rains, and there is sunlight. There is most likely even more weather.
    • Q: Can you ride a horse or other animal to make moving around faster?
      A: Not yet...
    • Q: Is the game world infinite?
      A: No.
    • Q:Are there difficulty levels and if so what aspects of the game would they affect. Such as making it harder to maintain crops or upping damage from monsters.
      :paper:
      Unknown. But it is certainly possible.
    • Q:Will we be able to cook?
      :paper:Yes.
    • Q:Would there be any other portable light sources besides torches? [Example a lantern that you could carry to light up what's around you.]
      :paper:Yes. Check this out.
    Graphics

• Q: Will there be graphic settings? Like resolution etc.?
    • A: There will most likely be resolution settings as well as other options.
    • :paper:Id like to assume there will be a host of many resolutions in the graphics option. Though I own three monitors I do not expect this game to operate at such a high resolution. Id assum the max resolution would be 1920x1080.
    • Q: could you make sure that the game has a windowed mode?
    • A: The game does have a windowed mode, yes.
    Language

• Q: Is there any chance of a german version? Or can we modify the languagepack by ourself?
    • A: when the game is fully released you'll have access to most of the text to create a german version if you want. I speak some german myself so I might be able to eventually create a "full" german translation but It all depends on how the game does after release!
    • :paper:Id assume even if the game doesn't cover your language, someone might make a downloadable language file you can drop in.
    Pricing

• Q: Soooo how much?
    • A: It'll be somewhere around $10. I can't say anything for sure on an ETA... but take heart, my friends; every day I am working hard to propel Stardew Valley into new, exciting atmospheres!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    • Cloakedboltz

Cloakedboltz Guest

I gathered a bunch of info here before the publishing deal.

CA changed his mind about a lot of things so don't take anything in there literally.

We should make a sticky thread here and keep it updated.

• silver593

That's the plan :D Sadly I don't have the power to make this a sticky thread I just have to hope and admin may see it and approve.
        P.s. You rock for knowing what Metroid is, nice avatar pic!

• Ordona

Ordona Former Staff

I've stuck it. :)

The only thing I suggest would be adding dates for certain information, as something like "Right now Stardew Valley is 70% of the way there" doesn't really help the reader in terms of how relevant/current the information is.

• silver593

Thanks for the tip :) I'll get working on this later today :)

• butters742

butters742 2.7182818284590...

Can't Wait for this Game :D

silver593 likes this.
              • Sir Logan

Sir Logan Phantasmal Quasar

THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION OF ALL:
                Will there be pets? If so, what kind? And how many (can we have)? Can they interact, i.e. a cat trying to snatch a fish in a bowl, or a dog chasing said cat, or a pair of birds chirping together?

silver593 likes this.
                • silver593

Your questions has been answered. :)
                  • Q: Will there be pets?
                  • :paper:It is certainly possible, there will be pigs, cows, chickens, and many more farm animals. There is a high possibility that there will be dogs and cats that may simply wander the town or your home.

• djchrisblue

djchrisblue Phantasmal Quasar

If you are going to post the answers, would you please also post the source?

peace

• silver593

The source is already up there, the information is from the wiki.

• djchrisblue

I mean post a link to where the info comes from, ie which thread, what message board, which video, or what interview. If it comes from the wiki, link to the wiki? Having that information gives us a context and timeline. The wiki doesn't source its info either. My concern is that anyone can edit the wiki and as this community gets larger and as more information comes out from CA it will help us weed out conflicting information if we know where it comes from. Thanks!

peace

• darkshaed

darkshaed Void-Bound Voyager

Will items (crops, minerals, resources, ect..) stack? and if so how much can you stack in one item slot?

• darkshaed

darkshaed Void-Bound Voyager

Will the places where you reach by bus (desert, ect..) be randomly generated?

• djchrisblue

In the videos, things are currently stackable to 99. When the character has more than 99 torches, for example, they fills additional slots. It is visible in this video:

According to CA:
                              This is from: http://community.playstarbound.com/...w-questions-about-the-game.15060/#post-576567

Looking forward to it!

peace

• Arakuze

Arakuze Aquatic Astronaut

Since I'm new around here I'm just going to ask a few simple questions to start off.

Does the weather change? If so what kind of weather can be expected to be seen and how would they affect the environment?
                                Also can you grow trees or do you just need to constantly destroy the environment?
                                And finally can you ride a horse or other animal to make moving around faster?

By the way I really like what I've seen about this game. I eagerly anticipate it's release.

• djchrisblue

Unfortunately, I only know the answer to one of your questions.
                                  From: http://community.playstarbound.com/...w-questions-about-the-game.15060/#post-577355

If you want to ask a question of Concerned Ape (the author of the game), there is an interview coming up. You can post questions in the interview thread (http://community.playstarbound.com/...oncernedape-saturday-2nd-march-8pm-cet.15312/) and the interviewer may ask your question!

peace

• butters742

butters742 2.7182818284590...

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooooo
                                    vehicles would be cool. I mean it wouldnt need to be over the edge, being able to crash into everything (tho that would be awesome lol)
                                    but would give it a cool edition to the game. That is if the games going to be infinite in directions of course. Then there is Farming Vehicles aswell to think of.

• Cloakedboltz

Cloakedboltz Guest

The info from the wiki is from the old Stardew forums, plus the Greenlight discussions and comments.

• Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

Q: Will there be horrible corporations that force you to buy GE seeds and market fluctuations that force you to be in hock to those corporations.
                                        lol

• silver593

Most likely you will be able to sell your crops but this is unconfirmed. There is a currency system, the currency is "G" which most likely stands for gold.