1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion Project Starlight - Starbound Server Extension - Player Commands, Admins and more! - Open Source!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Opalium, Dec 20, 2013.

1. TheOtherDrew

TheOtherDrew Big Damn Hero

Appears you have a System PATH issue.

If you open up the command prompt and type "java" followed by the [Enter] key, does it show anything other than not recognized command?

I'm not sure if you have the JRE or the JDK, I think you need the JRE though.
    Just as a double check. Can you download and install both the 32 bit and 64 bit version of java.
    If you don't have 32-bit version, I think this app requires it, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: Opalium's suggestion should fix it for you.

2. Opalium

Opalium Pangalactic Porcupine

I know this one. You need to add Java to PATH.
    Do the following:
    1. Go to the folder where you installed Java, then to the folder "bin".
    2. Now, copy the location of this folder (from the address bar).
    3. Go to My Computer, right click and choose "Properties". The system window should now open.
    4. On the side menu, choose "Advanced system settings", and then click "Environment Variables" at the bottom.
    5. Now, under "System variables", look for the one named PATH. Highlight it and press "Edit".
    6. In "Variable value", go ALL the way to the end of the line, and insert the following:
    type a ; (semi-colon), then right after it paste the location you copied before (don't put a space between them).
    7. Save and close everything, then try again.
    Good luck.

3. Shirou

Shirou Aquatic Astronaut

Got this working thanks :) but now when i start the server i get the following.. I went to starbound.config and made my port 21020

2013-12-21 20:11:53: [Starlight] Starting Starlight...

2013-12-21 20:11:53: [Starlight] ERROR: Failed to read Starbound port number.

2013-12-21 20:11:53: [Starlight] ERROR: Cannot find Starbound's port. Shutting down...

2013-12-21 20:11:53: [Starlight] Server shutdown requested - The server will shut down in 5 seconds.

4. TheBorg

TheBorg Aquatic Astronaut

Head over to your starlight folder and open the config.
    There you need to change this setting.

DisablePortCheck=false to DisablePortCheck=true

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Suggestion

For cosmetics, maybe allowing Hex color codes for global messages. (IE Join/Leave in Green for example).
    Makes differentiating in chat quite a bit easier if the server is size able.

Could also add automated messages (I will now initially probably add them with a script that opens the Starlight screen).

5. Shirou

Shirou Aquatic Astronaut

Even with it true or false i get the same error.

6. AcidWeb

AcidWeb Aquatic Astronaut

Nice work.

Opalium likes this.
  7. Kaillera

Kaillera Big Damn Hero

I had a bunch of socket reset errors or some sort. Players get stuck loading in, they get a dark ship. Some keep getting kicked off as they joined. Others load and can move around their ship but is isolated from everything else.

8. TheOtherDrew

Well Starlight runs on port 21025 and then feeds info to the server at port 21020 by default.
    Is this a new install of starbound?
    If so you need to run the server first to generate a config file.
    If you do have a config file then you can manually set the port to 21020 in starbound.config

9. Opalium

Make sure you're running the latest build (It's on the first post).

Chat colors is a little problem, because I can't use my own, only those that are already used. Not all of them work with every message, too.
    I'm going to try and make something with them in the next version, I hope.
    Automatic messages are a nice idea. I'll make that next version too.

10. TheOtherDrew

Can you give us more information, Like the OS the server is on, etc. Screenshots.

11. Opalium

Yes, I am aware of these problems. It's related to the UUID workaround. I'm going to try another method soon, maybe it'll work better. Sorry for the trouble.

12. Shirou

Shirou Aquatic Astronaut

Just downloaded it, so i am sure it's the latest :D

Does not matter what i do run it manual and turn it on false or true get the same error :(

13. Opalium

Can you show me how your config file looks?

14. NakashimaKun

NakashimaKun Pangalactic Porcupine

[Starlight] ERROR: Something went wrong. Please report this: SL.ClientPlayerPai
    r.Null

This is the error im getting. Its on client connection.

15. Opalium

Are you connecting to the right port? Even if you change the port to something else, you still need to connect to the default one (21025).

16. NakashimaKun

NakashimaKun Pangalactic Porcupine

Hmm. I have to use custom ports such as 21028 or 21035 I can't use just the default port.

17. Kaillera

Kaillera Big Damn Hero

Yeah it's a persistant issue. I am reverting to Icer's temporarily until it gets fixed. Yours is very nice, but no one can really play on the server when I switched it.

Some suggestions are: Customizable server chat name? I kinda hate seeing Starlight: Chat messages, cause it kinda implies we're using it.

18. Shirou

Shirou Aquatic Astronaut

This is the starbound.config

19. TheOtherDrew

Change "gamePort" : 21024,
    to
    "gamePort" : 21020,

20. Shirou

Shirou Aquatic Astronaut

Done that, same error.