1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

:: Project ARES :: Roleplaying Server ::

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Profound Madness, Apr 28, 2013.

?

Does this interest you in any way, shape or form?

1. Nnnyes quite.

48.1%
  2. A wee bit, lad.

33.3%
  3. Not at all.

8.8%
  4. Go die in a corner somewhere you useless piece of shit.

9.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qbrian80

qbrian80 Master Chief

im in, this looks great, i would be in redshift syndicate, selling monsters on blackmarket

2. NanoPaladin

NanoPaladin Subatomic Cosmonaut

If you would like help let me know, I have worked on a couple RPG Minecraft servers with Lore and all!!

3. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

I would like to help. I wish to be a scientist in the technology division.

4. ZephyrSpark

ZephyrSpark Big Damn Hero

The SEC actually treats its own very well. The Security force is paid very well for their loyalty and dedication to protect its interests.
    The miners are given a fair share of what they drill up, whether it be in raw format, or in the event the material is too valuable, a portion of the profit from the sale of the material.
    They are very capitalistic. But akin to the logging companies today. Theyre on a mission to make more profit and grow their business. They make alliances and grow their business, but they dont care as much for leaving chaos in their wake.

"A new universe with quintillions of planets filled with resources. Whats it matter if a few get ruined for us to get rich?" - Administation council member

This is not yet set in stone, so take my words with a grain of salt.

Our intial idea is for starting, Each player would need to pick one of the 3 main factions, and then a sub faction. They can play as they like, but for RP this faction/subfaction would designate some of their roleplay intially.

We don't want to limit players from doing what they want to do of course, if so many players want to make a new subfaction that would very likely be possible.
    I would still very much like to keep everyone under the banner of the big 3 however.
    I dont think we will want to allow new subfactions immediately. We still need some sort of limit to prevent every single person from starting new sub-factions all over the place. EG have a person Prove themselves to the staff, or pitch a really good idea.

Perhaps have a trial period, and if it works we get you a Emblem in the Factions.

Speaking of emblems.

I am chatting with an artist as i write this to help start making the Faction and subfaction logo's
    Since I would like to have official art for everything, makes the factions have a little more oomph

I wont turn away help, not completely sure what we need just yet.

Right now I am in the process of trying to name the subfactions so they arent just "SEC-administion" or "SEC-Mining"

If you use skype I would like to hear about your past work on these rpg servers. im zephyrspark@gmail there. Just add a message who you are or I might acceidentally ignore you.

Wheres the "unlike button" :( I am an avian.

Currently accepting suggestion on what that division should be named, or just left as is :3

Much obliged for the shoutout. I will do my best to keep this idea going. :3 Im not certain how much staff we will need, or if we will need consultation. But if the need arises I will keep you in mind.)

I appeciate the offer and will let you know if its needed. I have some dedicated hardware set up for this server in mind, Although if we get a big enough base I will call up some of my aquantences and get some room in a datacenter so that the server connection speed is perfect.

Profound Madness and nababoo like this.
  5. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

There's no Combo-reward for posting 5 times in a row. Unless you count "having a moderator merge them and notify you that double-posting is a no-no." If so, Grats!
    Also, Merged.

6. Dr Fury

Dr Fury Orbital Explorer

I have never join a RP server before but this is very good for the community to get started on. Good luck :)

7. Profound Madness

Profound Madness Big Damn Hero

I wouldn't join in, sorry. I'm not one for forum roleplays, but I'd gladly observe! ;3

Aaah me too! I try to keep myself short personally, don't want everyone to drown in fluff everytime they read my posts.
    I personally love the Novakid, and more people is never bad..

Glad to have you ;3

Thanks!
    Excellent, we'll be in business then.
    Aeeh, my mistake there, boss. I made a rather critical error in the initial post, made the SEC look like giant pricks. Decided to look through it after I saw Kage's post. So, this has all been fixed, but that post remains. ;3

8. Disciple Cain

Disciple Cain Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have a feeling that SEC has it's own inscrutable reasons for what it is doing that go beyond mere profit.

I'm looking forward to seeing the character dynamics, and possibly even faction wars on contested planets once the server is well established.

9. TheEvanManz

TheEvanManz Space Penguin Leader

Hey guys, I'm so into this idea. I have never been fully involved with RP, but in games where I make my own story, I need to make a big ass story. I need to make a story-goal that keeps me playing beyond just playing the game and having fun.

Anyways, I want to detail my character and what he will be in the ARES Project.

DISCLAIMER: Since the Hylotl lore isn't out, i don't have a lot to go on. My main basis is that they are obviously based on oriental culture. I love Samurai, and I have just always loved this culture. The music, the way they treat each other, it has always amazed me. I even practice the Shakuhachi, a traditional japanese flute. So, whatever is here is based on me saying "Well, they're oriental based so I'm gonna base a bit of my self made lore on this fact". I do not forget they are NOT from our planet, so there are differences. Also, Ocilios seems very important, but as you read you will see his part of just a small section of what the hylotl world was. He was important in this region.

Ocilios Sol'qurin
    Kin of Leviathan
    Ocilios will be my character in the world of ARES. The planet of the Hylotl is riddled with civil war. On their planet, greed runs through the blood of many Hylotl. They are very divided among themselves. While some bow to certain tribes, there are others (much like Samurai) that are thieves and murderers. The race struggles to fight a battle between freedom and oppression, and many on the planet fear they may kill each other to extinction.
    There a large clans that have lived for thousands of years, and these are Followers. These tribes follow a specific metaphorical guardian. These guardians have aspects that are taught more dramatically within each given tribe, with each different tribe having different aspects they teach. The phoenix teaches an unquenchable thirst for the truth of the universe, while leviathan teaches its followers to act as one with the ocean the race itself is very close to. Leviathan teaches of calm serenity, and that each individual is part of a greater community, just as each wave is part of the same body of water.
    Ocilios belongs to the followers of leviathan. He is the youngest offspring to the Kin of Leviathan, who is an emperor or leader of his tribe. In each tribe there is a name given to royalty that is almost a "badge of honor". Sol was given to the Kin's family. The kin had been continuing to worry about this world, where blood stains the ground, and that no one was thinking about the future of the race and planet. Leviathan has always been about peace and that all hylotl are brothers and sisters. At this point in time, while they were technologically advanced and had, to an extent, mastered space travel. However, most of the Hylotl that are on the planet have two options that they see; either your a peaceful being and choose to stay and save the planet that the race had been created on (so they dont see fleeing at all an option) and then the hylotl that are bloodthirsty are oppressing others to stay on the planet.
    In one of the hundreds of civil wars going on around the world, the kin was mortally wounded. He perishes and leaves his most loving son with a great bit of advice, "Ocilios, you must guide the Hylotl to safety. We must not perish and become but simple history. Hylotl are said to see the truth through their third eye, but you have always shown me that you see the truth out of all three." And so Ocilios' eldest brother becomes Kin. But his brother soon shows to be corrupt, and sees leviathan to be weak, and that to survive the leviathan tribe must become stronger.
    As time passes, Ocilios gains confidence and skill in the mind, spirit and arm. As time has passed he had seen his brother fall to corruption. Now a man, he decides to confront his brother. He had made the leviathan tribe a borderline warrior tribe; and Ocilios knew this had to be stopped. He meets with his brother in the Kin's Shrine (the kinds palace/throne room) and asks for his brothers reasoning. His brother, full with rage that the one person that would defy him is his own brother. Ocilios is armed with a sharp katana, but tells his brother that this does not need to end in bloodshed, which is the lesson he wants to preach. But, alas, some beings just cannot see the truth as Ocilios does. As the fight rages on, Ocilios trying to beat him, rather then killing him. But, unfortunately Ocilios ends up accidentally stabbing him in the chest. The two brothers look into each others eyes, with complete remorse. This traumatizes Ocilios, not being able to comprehend that he was holding a blade, which is now lodged into his brothers chest. His brother dies, and as he falls to the ground, the guards bow to Ocilios, naming him Kin.
    Ocilios does not believe in being a Kin as of now. He has understood that the Hylotl have stuck to closely with tradition and old culture. He does not want the hylotl to answer to anyone. he does not believe in ruling his tribe, but at the same time, he knows to have any weight on the world in terms of the civil wars going on, he could bear the title of Kin and try to find a way to save his own race from extinction.
    Part 2
    Disclaimer: This part that follows contains the event of the world being destroyed. As most of you know, what we know story-wise is that you're planet gets destroyed, and you become, well, a space hobo. Let's say it's some cosmic disaster right now that does this to the planet in my story.
    Ocilios has been Kin of Leviathan now for awhile, and the tribe has changed their part in the world drastically. Leviathan has been working with all of the other tribes of peaceful tradition to enhance technology. The civil wars are still being waged, although leviathan has been active in these wars, but instead of killing everyone involved, they try their hardest to kill as few men as possible, and instead tries to imprison them so they don't lose their lives. While these events happen, leviathan and other tribes such as pheonix are seeing a cosmic threat. They see it as being a huge threat, that is pretty much going to happen and they can't really control what happens. This troubles Ocilios greatly, obviously anyone would be pretty bummed, but a huge thing for Oci and leviathan is to protect the birth place of their race. He sees this armageddon as something that will happen, but rather then protect his birth place, he makes it a personal duty to save his race. He makes plans to supply enough ships for, well, his allies, which Ocilios doesn't like. He wants to help all of his race, but hey, they just wanna kill and take over, they simply can't be trusted. But, he still wants to find a way of saving everyone, even his enemies.

CABOOOOOOM!
    (The cosmic threat came faster then anyone thought it would, they weren't prepared, but luckily Ocilios had managed to be aboard a ship when this happens, assuring his survival)

Ocilios wakes up in his spaceship, utterly speechless. All of his work had been for nothing, and while he knew he would lose his birthplace, he did not ever imagine to be alone and the only hylotl that he could see around him. He was convinced that his whole race had been eradicated, but in the back of his mind he had hope. Hope and belief that others could have survived and are floating just like he is, thinking they're also alone.

That's when Ocilios realized something, and while there was still sorrow in his mind, he thought back to the teachings of leviathan, and realized that he had now been exposed to the largest ocean in all of eternity.

The sea of stars, the universe. "It's limitless... theirs no telling how large this sea of stars is, there must be one other. If I can find one other hylotl, I will know that there is hope, and my race will be able to find a new home." Ocilios said, walking up to the cockpit of his star ship, The Leviathan, and started to fly away, in search of whatever this vast ocean has in store for him.

PERSONALITY:

Ocilios is very kind and just, he is very wise and never judgmental. he believes that every being has reasons of doing things. Your beliefs are your beliefs, and as long as Ocilios doesn't see you as a threat to him, any loved ones, or if it would threaten the "sea of stars" as a whole. Ocilios sees the universe JUST as he did when on his home planet, everything that is in the ocean are part of him, and so is he to them. He learns that the universe has birthed many other races, and so he sees them all as brothers. He sees every race as a product of the ocean of eternity.

In terms of his alignment in the factions, again, he is very non judgmental. he won't look down on pirates as long as they are doing what they need to do, but if he sees that they are doing acts of murder, or just evil fucked up shit, he will feel the need to intervene. However, his sword arm always is reluctant to draw its katana when faced with a fellow brother (any race). There are times where he will deem things "not up to him to judge" if he cannot without a doubt feel like the deeds a person are doing are without a doubt evil. He has one main goal that keeps him going. He wants to become united with the other Hylotl, but also he feels like now the Hylotl are part of something unimaginably bigger. But, at release, and for quite awhile after release, his most prominent goal is to explore and try to meet up with other players of his own race. However, Ocilios will befriend anyone of any race. And as an ally, he will be as loyal as a brother to you and will protect you from anything. Even if it will cost him his life, if he deems you worth it he will gladly do this, as long as that person takes on his quest to help unite the Hylotl after he is dead.

10. Disciple Cain

Disciple Cain Subatomic Cosmonaut

*snort*

Didn't think we were making character sheets yet.

11. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Neither did I. Well on such short notice...

Name: M'aiq
    M'aiq did stuff, and stuff happened.

AzViz likes this.
  12. Profound Madness

I love it! Who didn't inform me we were doing character sheets? No matter. The SEC could've been the ones to freck up your planet, after all they have the technology, and the money.. Or maybe space pirates! Ooooh. Either way, that was a good read, hell better than anything I've ever written; my OCD makes sure of that. We're glad to have you!

TheEvanManz likes this.
  13. TheEvanManz

Followed! Keep me informed on this, because you guys have a good lore thing going on, and it seems like this character will fit in, seeing as how he is so neutral to an extent. Anyways, can't wait to hear more about this.

And c'mon guys, whats up with your characters? I wanna see the type of characters Oci will be able to run into out there in the sea of stars!

14. Profound Madness

Well. I'm looking to get some art done before I really post anything about Bloodleaf and L0-K1. But I probably will at some time.

TheEvanManz likes this.
  15. TheEvanManz

Oh a question!

How do all races talk? do we just say "All races had some evidence and contact with other races, either small or large, every race has practiced the "language of the universe".

It just seems weird that, oh your out of your planet now... and then you find someone from a totally different place, there is almost 0.000001% chance that they would be able to communicate and understand each other. But, maybe if this were implemented it'd be more understandable. Idk, just a thought/idea.

EDIT: or we don't even have to think into it that much, but as you see, im a detailed mother******.

16. Profound Madness

D'uh all aliens speak english, haven't you watched startrek?.. On a little bit more serious note, I'm thinking since the ARES universe has been there for a time most races would have what is pretty much one language, let's just call it Galactic Basic since I love Star Wars. So every alien knows a bit of galactic basic, but some decide not to speak it because they find their own languages preferable, but since Galactic Basic is the galactic standard we would "basically" all be speaking it. You get me?

Arch-Mage Zandor and TheEvanManz like this.
  17. sammanzhi

sammanzhi Sandwich Man

I'm not into roleplaying. But I'm def into anything that will boost people playing the game or enhance their experience!

Rock on, fellow future-starbounders!

18. Profound Madness

Thank you for the support, you cutie you.

sammanzhi likes this.
  19. skaree

skaree Astral Cartographer

I've seen a few threads about servers but I think this might actually be the first one I've seen that mentioned roleplaying, and I am definitely down for this.

I'm not really certain I want to start off in a faction. Maybe start off freelance and feel them (and their leadership) out to discover which one I might actually like to join, if I join one at all... or if I don't start one of my own.

20. Profound Madness

Feel free, bub. ;3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.