Progress on Ships!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SomaSam

SomaSam Big Damn Hero

NOOOOOOOO... Not my beautiful Koi fish! Darn, I am going to miss it so much.

On the plus side, the Florian Ships look 100x better now, no longer a re-skin of the apex with some ugly vines on it. I also like how you implement the lore of the Florians and the Avians, giving the florian ships some of the avian parts.

2. The Doctor

The Doctor Pangalactic Porcupine

Love it. Now once you finalize ship customization post tier 4, I assume you will get back to the RPG element updates such as Quest system and both major and minor storyline elements? because honestly I have taken a hiatus from playing until that update since you mentioned in previous notes that it will change how sectors and worlds work.

KevinFragger2427 likes this.
  3. Belle

Belle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I feel like the floran ship needs more pink. The old ship was pink, and it feels weird to remove it :(

EDIT: clarifying "it"

4. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I do hope theres non linear upgrading on the ship :3 as for looks i mean, that Avian top on the ship looks nice, a bit off but if its the idea of "put whatever you like on that ship" thing then hell, im in!

5. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Big Damn Hero

A way to get 'magic' working is to use it in a sci-fi sort of function.

A catalyst in form of a tool used to dispense energy of a certain form maybe?

Dispensers?
    These could be guns, cannons, or mounted on the shoulders or hand, fitted as a glove, emits off of a rod/staff, etc.

Maybe weapons can gain the possibility of also being a 'spell' dispenser, meaning you can trigger it's effect with a hit of a key or something?

Rather than having pre-set spells attached to a weapon or item, maybe it can be a equipped thing, like how abilities are, except in a separate spot.
    So you activate with a key on the keyboard, when a dispenser is equipped.
    Then dispenser can have various traits, like a staff or rod will have the fastest load time, and large cannons or machines can have the greatest effect level.

A dispenser attached to a weapon, like a sword for instance will only give you the utility and practical use of spells, but not as powerful as large machinery or fast like staves.

Would be nice if ships are actually not completely tied to the player and we can capture and sell ships.
    Except ships owned by players cannot be taken and cannot be sold if it's the only ship left.

Meaning you need to own some sort of base to hold multiple starships.

6. Pinchy

Pinchy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Now if some of the animations were little space stag beetles crawling along the foliage then I would love it.

7. Little-blade

Little-blade Void-Bound Voyager

Are ship upgrades mandatory? Because if not I'd likely stay with the 5th version.
    Not so much an issue with the avian component as with the giant cockpit which is clearly meant to be filled with crew members I don't want.

8. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Niceeeeeee.
    Yhanks for the news... even if it is even more hard to wait now :p

9. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Big Damn Hero

I can see 'spell effects' such as beam weapons or swords being possible due to dispensers.
    I also can see magical abilities like homing plasma orbs shot out from a staff.

They can have different requirements based on how they are used.

Gun Dispensers are always projectile based, either it's laser guns that shoots beams, or pulses.

Melee weapon dispensers generally enhances the current weapon with a new element or effect... Like a plasma effect coating your sword as you swing, and causes a area of effect shockwave.

Then unique dispensers like staves, rods, and gloves have dramatically new effects that's different and unique.

A staff can have a plasma effect and create masses of plasma, like a tornado of energy.
    A rod can shoot plasma in form of homing orbs.
    A glove or 'fist' weapons enables you to punch and utilize brute force alongside plasma technology, or shoot out beams in short bursts like iron man or megaman.

All use of dispensers consume a lot of energy, so it's sort of a mid-end game technology.

10. KevinFragger2427

KevinFragger2427 Pangalactic Porcupine

They don't usually talk about game features until they're implemented. That being said, this past month (March) they've been settling down in their office. Having experienced the crap the guys in the U.S. put you through with buying a simple house on mortgage, I can say that it's no cakewalk, especially if you're also moving from one country to another.

When they settle down, I can guarantee you things will go back to the speedy way they once were.

That's what they said about the forum layout, after they changed the theme to Kawaii. And when they changed it back. >.>

Sorry, buddy, but it's linear all the way. They've made no mention of modular ship expansion, so I'm sure they aren't working on it right now. (CF doesn't usually talk about things they're not working on, both present and future) Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

However, they've mentioned implementing Space Stations to act like multiplayer guild halls or something. Those will probably be modular.

This is pretty much good ideas in every way. Kinda like the way plasmids worked in Bioshock. Would be nice to see them ingame. Would also be easy to incorporate into the lore. (Apex mutants, anyone?)

Not the ones past tier four. Those are just upgrading your space. However, the first three tiers are for giving you access to more of the planets in the galaxy. (ie. Warp drive broken, can't get out of solar system, heat insulation broken, can't access hot/cold planets) It all goes with their plan to put all sectors into one universe.

THIS. ALL THE WAY.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
    Cost and Corraidhín like this.
  11. dragonroar3

dragonroar3 Void-Bound Voyager

The floran and hylotl ships looked good, the one that looks bad is the human one and you're re-making the ones that look good? incredible.

12. Hot Soup 74

Hot Soup 74 Title Not Found

Huzzah! Ship upgrades rule

13. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Wait, so all ships will now have three repair stages?
    The floran ship looks much better now that is isn't just an overgrown apex ship... seems much more original now.
    The hylotl ship looks much better. I'm guessing this was changed because it was hard to upgrade the koi fish, unless you just made it a really fat koi fish...
    Sorry to break it to you that it won't work like that... Unless you plan to wear hylotl armor or a survival system everywhere, that is.

14. GrimR3APER

GrimR3APER Void-Bound Voyager

Pleeeaaassee tell me one of those nice big rooms is a hangar for your mechs?!
    Or any other semi-small vehicle...

15. Rune the Red Panda

Rune the Red Panda Existential Complex

I can already tell people are going to complain about space magic.. but I think it's an amazing idea!

16. XeroCoolUSN

XeroCoolUSN Void-Bound Voyager

They look awesome, but I still think the first planet you start on you crash land on it and you have to stay on deck for a longer period of time trying to repair it before you can "launch" it back into space for the beginning of the quest line.

17. Doggie

Doggie Void-Bound Voyager

Looks sexy, however; Hylotl ships need more wet.

18. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

im really looking forward to the hylotl design
    im interested in seeing more stuff going on with this ship upgrade system though.

also >W> im interested in them obvious avian parts implemented to the Floran Frigate of doom.

19. Galactic Avatar

Galactic Avatar Cosmic Narwhal

It seems I'll be the first to say it outright:
    I am really digging the new Hytol ship design, it feels right for their aesthetic especially considering their comments about furniture and sleek aesthetics. Plus it really seems to be going for a techno-sub in space feel....

I SHALL HAVE MY SEAQUEST DSV IN SPACE! OH VERILY, I SHALL!
    http://s211.photobucket.com/user/Tyfreaky13/media/seaquestdsv.jpg.html

[​IMG]

Errr... Uhmmm I mean to say... Yeah I'm OK with the current direction of the Hyotl ship... it's not that bad...now excuse me... I have some preparations to make..

**Giggles wildly as he lights the candles of his Roy Sheider shrine in his closet**

MilkCalf, caos and KevinFragger2427 like this.
  20. Zeffia

Zeffia Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Is quite coolbeans.
    Feel free to cut corners a bit on the rooms though, (or just add in right-triangle block versions of some blocks maybe?)
    Might be cool to have some sort of observation deck or so where you would have angled windows. Ja no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.