Progress on Ships!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Florans are kit-bashers!

2. Barlov Monkiss

Barlov Monkiss Big Damn Hero

Eeeeeeeeeek! I be lovin' this!

KevinFragger2427 likes this.
  3. Andr0o

Andr0o Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like the greenhouse on top, hoping I don't have to put dirt in it to farm.

Each of the images are named T1-T8 so, it looks like they're set layouts.

4. [pixelmonster]

[pixelmonster] Big Damn Hero

Ship upgrades!
    WOW! The Hylotl ship looks SPECTACULAR!
    And the florin ship looks MUCH better... love the greenhouse on top :p

KevinFragger2427 and Braise like this.
  5. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

:virorb: Greenhouse!!! :virorb:

Thanks for the update, Ships are the one thing I've been waiting for before I log back in, create a new little three-eyed space traveller extrodinaire, and start her on her new journey. The streamlined design of the Hylotl craft is lovely, interested to see how that ship in particular evolves, and the rest of the vessels, too!

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  6. janusforbeare

janusforbeare Phantasmal Quasar

Oooooh, gorgeous. Well done indeed.

Gotta say that all this Hylotl/Floran love is making my Glitch feel a little left out, though. :cry:

7. ghostlll1992

ghostlll1992 Subatomic Cosmonaut

well thats all well and good but .... seriously i just dont see any progress im sorry if im being to needy but. it's just not enough we need actual implementation what i mean to say is GET THE CREW BACK TOGETHER AND MAKE THE PROMISES YOU MADE US not stab us in the back with waiting its been a total of 30 DAYS and all to show is art instead of actually adding it to the game im sorry for my actions but, THEY ARE ALL TRUE again im sorry good day :rip: :boo: ghost out>

Fireball14 likes this.
  8. cheeser2d2

cheeser2d2 Void-Bound Voyager

9. SupertankerZambda

SupertankerZambda Void-Bound Voyager

How will ship upgrades work?

I know that you'll be able to upgrade after you complete a tier, but will this happen automatically,
    or will you have to craft some sort of ship repair-kit and use it on the ship, making upgrades optional.
    Furthermore, will you be able to "downgrade" your ship to a previous tier, in-case you don't find a
    larger ship to you liking and prefer the smaller ones?

Great work by the way, I really like the more futuristic look of the Hylotl's ship.

10. Trepsik

Trepsik Zero Gravity Genie

MilkCalf and KevinFragger2427 like this.
  11. Prime262

Prime262 Void-Bound Voyager

will the ships be asymmetrical in final design? as in, will a human ship end up being a diffrent shape than a hoytl ship? i particularly like how seemingly cobbled together the floran ship is, owning to their cannibalistic, scavenger tendencies.

12. the420urchin

the420urchin Pangalactic Porcupine

Ok, so the actual ships upgrades - Awesome. The Hyotl ship looks great as well. But then you have that gaudy Floran ship, no thank you. As a designer and an artist there is so many design flaws. I get the whole "Floran's made their ships from other species tech" thing, but the design looks horrible. The color pallets clash way to much, and the different styles as well. That ship breaks so many design rules and guidelines it's just gonna be a huge down point for so many people. I wouldn't touch my Floran if that's the ship I have to look at constantly... No offense, but as a designer you may want to do a little more research into designing, theme, and proper color pallets and placement. I really don't like the whole "illogical flowers in space" thing either, but that's a bit more of a personal opinion.

Exxil3d likes this.
  13. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Their ship is supposed to look scavenged and cobbled together. It's in their lore. If you or everyone else can't accept that then you don't want to play Floran.

14. DoctorShaggy

DoctorShaggy Void-Bound Voyager

I like the subtle touch of the bones strapped to the front of the Floran ship. I imagine that's what the Reaver ships in Firefly might look like if, between murderous rampages, they started collecting flowers for a hobby.

Thanks for the update!

Droilin, Kawa, Bumber and 2 others like this.
  15. redhawk39

redhawk39 Void-Bound Voyager

Wonderful! Now my Florian can display the trophies of the battles it has had in space (!), or you know he could have just picked them up from wrecks who really knows...

16. Azureless

Azureless Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm a fan of this.

17. OneOnlyDan

OneOnlyDan Cosmic Narwhal

I actually really like the fact that the Floran ship gets a part from the Avian ship, it makes them live up to their lore a bit more! :)

18. Mippy

Mippy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

looks great :) i'm glad you didn't just add ugly additional rooms!

19. 1John5vs7

1John5vs7 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I love the idea of ever-expanding ships. Eventually, you can do a completely space-oriented civilization with no terrestrial interaction at all other than for ore-gathering. And even there, you could build a mod that would allow the ship to harvest elemental resources from gas nebulae, stars, planet clusters etc. that would then be compressed to form ores and such. Nifty!

Also, as a Hylotl, I cannot wait to ride my waterproof interstellar spacemobile! I plan to flood the thing once underwater breathing for Hylotl is added.

20. Blue

Blue Former Staff

Plants in space actually don't sound that strange. If the plant roots are inside the ship and gather Co2 from there, they will be able to 'breathe'. And it would make sense that it would want to be on the outside of the ship to obtain starlight from various stars they pass by. Who knows, those plants may have a very thick fiber outer layer for skin that protects them from vacuum.

That blue ship is beyond lovely.

However the spliced together floran ships seem tacky looking. It fits the lore, sure, but much of it looks copy pasted directly as if the artist made the ship...rather than a group of florans using bolts and plating. Would make more sense if the different parts were cobbled/held together with other parts/junk, and not just placed on as if they fit perfectly.

Some difference in the backgrounds of the rooms would be cool too. Again it looks copy pasted as if all the rooms have the same functions and piping as if shipped off a mass-manufacturing line. I'd even be ok with a "flip horizontally" effect on a room here and there. And perhaps remove an 'object' from some of them so not every room has every function. Right now there is a warp-core looking thing in every single room... do we need so many of those?

But really, how it looks is really only polish stuff that can come later. I think what most people want are to see the functions of the up-gradable ships as a completed feature. Because game-play/function is particularly more important at this phase than appearance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.