Procedurally created materials.

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by sandwiches, Feb 27, 2012.

1. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

Well, you said "the problem with that is that you'd need to go to several planets" which I had already made clear in the post you had quoted with "and I think traveling to multiple planets to get all the materials you need for one thing is feasible". You think that one planet should have all the materials, which I disagree with.

2. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

A matter of opinions, I guess. What I meant is that sometimes, it could get annoying. Imagine if you're not lucky and need to visit six planets before actually finding the material you want, I think it might get a bit boring, unless you provide the player with some sort of advanced means of knowing which materials a planet contains without actually having to explore it completely. Well, devs will have the final decision on this matter, either standard or procedurally created. What's clear is that Starbound will be a great game regardless of which one ends up in-game ^^

3. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

Eh...Thing is, I'm guessing that Starbound will have unique planets with climates and planet-specific materials simply because of the focus on planet-traveling and space. Though it'll still be amazing.

4. Qwertycrackers

Qwertycrackers Astral Cartographer

Well then we can just take durability off the list. No problem.

5. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

We're not even on that issue anymore. >.<

6. sandwiches

sandwiches Void-Bound Voyager

In my opinion, durability needs to be in. Terraria lacked it and it's part of what made it become stale so quickly. Once you had the best <insert weapon or armor here>, you never need worry about getting mining. In Minecraft, for instance, there's always the need for more ore because you'll eventually need to replace or repair your precious diamond pick as it wears out. If items never decay, you slowly start having less and less reasons to mine.

Thank you so much for the banner and the support! =)

7. TeoTheDriller

TeoTheDriller Big Damn Hero

It depends of what you will be able to do in the game... if items can last forever but other things in the game don't (as monsters, planets, sources of energy...), then the situation still changes to one of needs, and so the player is still having to do something so deal with it. So you CAN make a very strong set of equipment... that simply can't work without fuel that simply does not exist, or a genetic trait of a monster spread itself through the galaxy and now our equipment is not that good anymore when it can be melted, or your homeplanet will collide with a huge comet... and so on.

The problem that i really see as well as sandwiches, is that in terms of sole fighting prowess, once you have a best set(if such thing exists), then there's not much left in terms of challenge. Unless the best set is weak in comparison to the threats, as the devs mentioned about threat level 100, that would be ALWAYS a challenge.

8. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

No.
    Durability. Is. Stupid.
    Take Minecraft, for example. Durability eventually became so annoying that they even had to have a specific enchantment for it: "Unbreaking". Nobody even bothered wearing armor because, well, every time you get hit you're basically wasting a diamond, and for what? You can heal with just a mushroom and some sand! Also, there was actually a post by the devs saying that the reason there was no durability was because there is exceedingly more Ore per Pick in Terraria as opposed to Minecraft.

36 Iron Ore in Terraria
    3 Iron in Minecraft

As a result, 1 Iron Pick in Terraria is equivalent to ~13 Iron Picks in Minecraft (Iron is also rarer in Minecraft), and let's face it, it takes roughly 6 Iron Picks to get to the point where you have a Diamond Pick.

TL;DR: I will never support durability.

AliceTheGorgon likes this.
  9. sandwiches

If a system of durability is implemented, I don't see why they would only let you repair or refuel with nonrenewable resources, unless they specifcally want people to eventually have to look for or craft better gear... which might not necessarily be a bad thing... hmmm...

The game appears to be open-ended, where you sort of make your own adventure. To that end, I believe that a(nother?) reason to explore new worlds, fight new monsters, and mine new ores would be welcome. Durability or fuel are also strategic properties that are defacto time limits for exploration and add a sense of tension. For instance, if you're deep in a mine and you know your heat-protective suit will run out of oxygen in 5 minutes, you have an important decision to make: To continue exploring and risk death or to go back to refuel, resupply, and repair. These can be interesting decisions if done right, as more gameplay options can be born out of this. For instance, your buddy might have not room to carry ore because he's in charge of bringing the extra energy cells for your drills or your weapons. Or maybe you have to setup a small camp or base midway to your destination.

Your. Rude. Comment. Has. Been. Noted.

Thanks.

TeoTheDriller likes this.
  10. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

I disagree.
    Durability was never so much "strategy" as it was "for gods' sake this is annoying and stupid".
    Now, "Fuel" is perfectly acceptable. You have the choice to use some sort of non-renewable resource for your suit.

11. sandwiches

They are functionally identical. I don't see how you can be in support of one and not the other. It seems that the problem is a psychological one, rather than one of gameplay.

Drithyl and TeoTheDriller like this.
  12. TeoTheDriller

Also, we CAN have some sort of durability different of what Minecraft does. If items are indeed invulnerable to time decay, but exterior forces make them to be damaged and becoming unusable until repaired, the focus pass of having a best equipment to having a equipment suited for THAT specific situation. Considering the unknown hidden in each planet, more risk-possible reward situations show up as you point.

And is not only because YOU become some sort of invulnerable Juggernaut that the world is. In a game where we can destroy universes, the focus can change of "becoming stronger" to "protecting what i care about". And that's interesting. :)

And sorry about double posting, but about "fuel" and "durability", since you both managed to let me eating dust while i wrote... xD

Durability, AS IN MINECRAFT, involves items that have a set number of uses before being destroyed. You can fix them with other item, but in the end, this generates the need to get more resources and remake the items.

Fuel is about having stuff that only works with a resource. The stuff is there, is just unusable before the energy source is place. That generates the need to get more fuel and recharge the items.

The difference between durability and fuel is that durability makes you to stop and rebuild what's broken. Fuel is only about recharging, and so is somewhat faster. Since we don't know how the game will deal with technology and crafting yet, it's a guess to think about how long we will take to create stuff, but i believe the process of making stuff to the player to use will be similar to Terraria.

And the final point is: how resources and fuel would be gathered? Mining? Facing enemies? Quests? Planting? How it could be made so we would have more possibilities and so people who don't want to mine can do something else?

13. T-Bone Biggins

T-Bone Biggins Phantasmal Quasar

I like the idea of durability, but don't make an item just 'break' like Minecraft. Allow things to be repaired. Take a gun, after firing 1,000 rounds it won't be like it was from the factory ever again, but if you keep oiling and cleaning that gun it will last several decades. Say once an item is used down you can repair it back to 90% durability because it's been 'broken in'. You can repair and maintain the weapon or item for a much cheaper cost than buying or building it, so you still have the need to look for materials constantly. But you don't need to keep building another rifle after a few hundred rounds because it's breaks and can't be repaired, that's kinda, well....dumb.

TeoTheDriller likes this.
  14. sandwiches

But like I said, functionally, whether you're repairing or refueling, the end result is the same: You have to gather resources to use X or Y.

All of the above, in my opinion. In fact, it'd be cool if some kind of refinery or transmuter could be built to facilitate this, as well.

I agree, wholeheartedly. Repairing should be in the game. So, you never lose your item, you just can't use it OR it only protects or damages for a tiny fraction of its normal amount.

AliceTheGorgon and TeoTheDriller like this.
  15. T-Bone Biggins

T-Bone Biggins Phantasmal Quasar

This depends on the item.
    -For armor it would decrease it's protective properties, or in severe cases allow atmosphere to leak in and you run out of oxygen.
    -For firearms, the more worn out and dirty they are the less accurate they are and more they jam in real life, in the game maybe less accurate and a mild damage decrease. Accuracy does affect projectiles very bad when they get dirty.
    -Now imagine lasers, if they get worn out and dirty they would probably lose the majority of their damage capability. They would still be accurate and work, but maybe cut in half their damage output from bad diodes or whatever lasers in this universe uses.

Make wear and tear affect each item type differently.

Qwertycrackers likes this.
  16. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

This is probably the best option there is, instead of breaking or making the item unusable until it is repaired, you can still use it but with much, much less efficacy. Also repairing should require more than just money, I'd like to see required materials and tools to repair items.

Anyways guys, I think this is an issue to be dealt with in another topic, if only so that it can be cleary seen.

17. EaglePryde

EaglePryde Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Really brilliant. I hope this system finds it's way into the game. This gives us flexebility and freedom. I fully support it.

18. TeoTheDriller

19. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

Ah, yes, the old strategy of "Oh snap a real argument. Better not address it."

20. HazardJake

HazardJake Void-Bound Voyager

All the more personal weapon creation!
    Its got my +1
    ~Jake