1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Prevailing Romantic Customs Among Species

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FakeGeekGamerGirl, Feb 27, 2015.

1. FakeGeekGamerGirl

FakeGeekGamerGirl Big Damn Hero

I reserve that for Agarans. Florans are beautiful people.
    It's important for me to fully flesh out these people in my head. I like the universe and I want to understand them. Where they are now lets me predict where they'll go in the future. And speculation is fun. Especially about love and romance.

Markelius likes this.
  2. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

Floran indeed are beautiful, but dangerous too, just for that, i don't hate every floran, that woman in the outpost is actually nice

Markelius likes this.
  3. FakeGeekGamerGirl

All of the species are dangerous, in my opinion. The Floran are just the most brutal representation of that. Humans wage wars, Avians and Glitch engage in shadowy inquisitions, the Apex kidnap and torture large sections of the population who are always being monitored, and so forth.

And I think as Floran society matures it will be substantially less bloodthirsty. First contact was made when their society had barely just started, after all.

4. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

In a future they will become more "sociable" with other races maybe, in a point where they could even marry each other. i had a buddy who was a floran when i first started the game

5. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

I was thinking... what about novakid?... then I remembered they explode on death.
    *rethinks approach*
    hyotls aren't dangerous... that's why floran eat them..

6. FakeGeekGamerGirl

Floran who leave their society will likely adapt quickly. The concern then is cultural preservation. They have a vibrant culture outside of straight up brutalizing stuff and that hopefully won't be lost.

7. Dauthdaert

Dauthdaert Void-Bound Voyager

FakeGeekGamerGirl likes this.
  8. CmereSweetHeart

CmereSweetHeart Subatomic Cosmonaut

if you wish to boil him, you need to find a floran prison and take some of the burning charcoal and place it right under the surface the hylotl is standing on, for this surface to heat up and thus heat up the water then boiling the hylotl, remember to check if the hylotl is well cooked or not, nobody likes burned food[DOUBLEPOST=1425162447][/DOUBLEPOST]and now, A talk about floran and hylotl war

Florans and hylotl are in a large hatred, the worst of racial enemies, the lore says that the florans invaded the hyltol's home planet, the reason for such act are those two possibilities:

1: Florans were either starting to lack food or just wanted to try new stuff so they invaded the hylotls

2: A book that can be found in floran villages says that florans can be insulted very easily such as the following: Refusing to eat raw meat or damaging any plant life, so maybe a hylotl did something incredibly insulting and thus started an all-out racial war that the florans probably forgot about the cause of it

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  9. Darkarma

Darkarma Phantasmal Quasar

Given the Floran's words on the cave painting in the Mysterious Party mission they have a pretty long lived racial memory. If they were insulted they would remember

10. CmereSweetHeart

Then again may be it was one hylotl who highly insulted one floran then the floran said that he was insulted on a high level and then all of the florans who had no clue what did the hylotl do just went with it and tried to murder all of the fishmen

thus meaning that they didn't forget it

they just never realy knew it in the first place

or they just never say what the hylotl do

11. Darkarma

Darkarma Phantasmal Quasar

Or it was a good excuse as any to find out what fish people taste like.

12. CmereSweetHeart

ALL OF THE POSSIBILITIES

13. L. F. Oxidizer

L. F. Oxidizer Pangalactic Porcupine

Kind of off-topic, but something regarding interspecies relationships has been nagging me lately.

It has been stated that some Humans and Apex tend to marry each other. But, once they do, how exactly do they get together? Will the Apex be freed from the MiniKnog's regime and live with the Human? Are Humans only allowed to marry MiniKnog Apex in first place? Will the two have to maintain a distant relationship? Will the Human have to live with the Apex? And if it's the last one, would s/he be subjected to the MiniKnog's oppresive laws, or would be excerpted from them?

Unless if you're playing as a Hylotl...

"Hsss!" "Sssstab!" "Floran not responsible for Floran's actions if fish remain here!"

So your stomach is made of metal despite being a plant? Floran X Glitch crossbreed confirmed.

FakeGeekGamerGirl likes this.
  14. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Humans and Apex are, biologically, very close. Apparently Apex were very Human-like in the past, or perhaps were indeed Human, before the Miniknog enforced the Vestigio-Evolutionary Process (VEP), turning their entire species tinto the simians we recognize today. It's impossible to say whether half-Apex/half-Human hybrid children are possible; given that we've never seen any obvious examples of such, it's entirely likely that the Apex are too far separated from Humans genetically to allow for offspring.

Any Apex that marry or engage in relationships with humans are obviously rebels or dissidents, living outside Miniknog control. After all, marriages and relationships are state-appointed institutions, assigned for genetic and productivity concerns. If a Human/Apex couple is captured by the Miniknog, you can pretty much bet that the Apex is on a one-way trip to a Miniknog Leisure Resort for some intensive Thought Reassignment, and the Human, if captured, will probably be a guinea pig in Apex experiments - maybe even at the same Resort!

While Humans generally aren't bothered in Apex settlements (aside from being watched very very carefully for any signs of subversive behavior, just as any citizen would be), they have no rights within Apex society. If they want to grab a Human off the street to experiment upon, the Miniknog scientists don't even need a pretext of a reason. This isn't surprising as nobody has any rights in Apex society, unless your name happens to be Big Ape.

Humans definitely can't join Miniknog Apex society to the best of my knowledge. They are tolerated for brief stays, but are encouraged to leave Apex settlements at the earliest possibility, before any free-thought 'corrupts' the locals. Of course, too much ideological discussion with any of the locals will ensure that your stay is a permanent one.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  15. FakeGeekGamerGirl

I always assumed the Hylotl, who are viewed by every species as super condescending, made first contact with the Floran and were extremely rude and referred to them as uncivilized or whatever and the Floran took major offense.

STCW262 likes this.
  16. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Wouldn't that make a cyborg floran?

...I am not sure what to think about that.

17. CmereSweetHeart

hot robot plug and unplugging action

with plant fun

18. FakeGeekGamerGirl

Well, given the Floran's habit of engaging in bloody pastimes, I assume they'd have a booming market for prosthetics. And, with access to futuristic robotics and stuff, Floran could very well have cybernetic prosthesis.

This now makes me want to have a cybernetics mod a la Shadowrun for my character. There'd have to be a cost though...

19. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Wouldn't the floran just...grow a new body part though?
    And since we have cloning technology, there is no real need for prosthetic except for body enhancement - any replacement can be easily be cloned and attached to the missing part. The only reason you need mechanical parts is because what you want to do with them can only be enhanced by mechanical power....

20. FakeGeekGamerGirl

They might, though plant regrowth is interesting. If a limb got chopped off, a new one might grow but at an odd angle, since flower stems tend to grow at angles. An untreated gunshot or stab wound could cause permanent damage either through internal rot or a permanent bend like scoliosis in animals.

This is of course assuming that they grow like flowers. And operating off of that assumption there could be need for cybernetics. Or just grafts, I suppose, since you can do that with plants.

!!! Oooh, that makes me think about Floran grafting plants onto their bodies as a form of body modification, like piercing and tattooing. Not just accidentally getting "infected" with poison ivy but like... having teeny tiny bonsai trees on them and stuff.

STCW262 likes this.