1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Prevailing Romantic Customs Among Species

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FakeGeekGamerGirl, Feb 27, 2015.

1. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

I think the glitch would follow the things that human did in medieval age. Writing horrible poems, serenade under the stars, all that mushy thing despite they have no heart and their body is far from being called mushy.

About novakid, I don't think they are predisposed either way toward long-term or short term relationship. They are not airheads, just bag of gases. They are more like, living in the "now" so they would be together as long as they like, and if two novakids are really compatible, can be together for life. They are just not going to make a big deal about break ups and stuff.

2. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

"romantic.I want to rust along with you" something like that ?

LethalShade and dropdead like this.
  3. CmereSweetHeart

CmereSweetHeart Subatomic Cosmonaut

Also they're not lizards

they're sexy sexy plants[DOUBLEPOST=1425100417][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I'd reboot you anytime gurl ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

how about we exchange power supply ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Nibolas O Anelbozas likes this.
  4. Nibolas O Anelbozas

By the avian, i see then like a couple of birds, scruffing each other neck feathers and beaks, and i doubt that the breasts are much of a thing for then, since isn't that functional, they probably use it to warm the egg. but since plumage is such a thing in nature, the tail must be like a very attractive part of the body, for both genders.

5. FakeGeekGamerGirl

FakeGeekGamerGirl Big Damn Hero

Trophies would likely be a thing, both as a show of strength and the presentation of a difficult to acquire token, as they're witnessed throughout the animal kingdom from humans on down. While they're plants, I assume the behavior would hold.

I don't know if they'd be polyamorous or polygamous, though, or even romantic at all given the potentially uninvolved method of reproduction (poof pollen in the air and walk away). This, then brings in the issue of consent, though. As they are sentient organisms, and likely to believe in, at the very least, the equality of tribal members, it would seem to follow that they'd believe in personal sovereignty. Would mass pollination be discouraged since it's effectively impregnation against one's will (and thus rape)?

SO MANY QUESTIONS

6. CmereSweetHeart

I believe if a floran wanted to seduce another floran, he'd kidnap a hylotl, boil him alive and cook him up for diner and then give it to the floran he desire

EDIT: the screams caused by the pain of melting skin will make it tastier

FakeGeekGamerGirl likes this.
  7. FakeGeekGamerGirl

What makes me wonder about the Glitch (minus the Outcasts) is that they're supposed to be a hivemind of sorts with a very flexible social structure that changes from time to time. In medieval society a noble could not court a peasant and so forth but if a Glitch noble was to be betrothed to another noble one day and was suddenly a peasant the next, what would happen? This leads me to question a lot of the romantic culture for the time period. Besides the awful poetry, of course. That's a must.

And fair enough about the Novakids. Maybe long term relationships would be viewed as very impressive, though, because of the difficulty? It'd show great dedication.

8. Nibolas O Anelbozas

There are some plants that need contact to fertilize, maybe floran have something like that, and thus, fishes don't copulate either, and since Hylotl are so philosophical i think they have a pretty concept of love and caring. you gotta remember they society stage, this have a heavy impact on they behavior

9. CmereSweetHeart

And I don't think we realy have any question about Apex love

10. FakeGeekGamerGirl

Oh definitely. That was one thing I was considering, especially with regards to Floran. Their society was so young when first contact was made, though, so I imagine it having all sorts of effects on the Floran. I guess we'd model a lot of their behavior off of their sort of plant > meat paradigm and filter it through a clan-structure lens. Or at least that's how I try to view the Floran. Bud-kin structure.[DOUBLEPOST=1425101369][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Nah, they're pretty much humans aren't they? I suppose there could be some nuance since they're living in a 1984 style society. Their displays of love and affection would be rather subdued if noticeable at all by outsider species since being visibly affectionate could result in getting a face-cage full of womp rats.

Nibolas O Anelbozas likes this.
  11. RainDreamer

The glitch only use those signifiers when they are talking to someone outside of the hive mind, I think. I am not very up to date with their lores. Maybe they will transmit love letters in binary.

I don't know...does the Glitches in the hive mind even have a concept of romance? Would they just be dictated by the hive mind to form couples that best serve the interest of the hivemind? The ones in the hive mind doesn't seem to question it that much. It is something to think about.

And I think long term relationships for novakid would be like us admiring old couples staying together for a few decades...which is not that different from human, huh...They are probably less heartbroken about being dumped or breaking up though.

12. CmereSweetHeart

On a side note, here's a slightly related fun fact: florans can read binary

why?

I don't know why

but they do

look it up

13. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Yep, you're right, and my life lost meaning

14. FakeGeekGamerGirl

Ssstab a meatman

15. RainDreamer

Makes me wonder if the old race in the cave drawing taught them that.

16. FakeGeekGamerGirl

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that. But I've always struggled with the idea of independent sentience in the hivemind. Same questions Legion from ME raised.

And true true. Though I guess it's hard to say if they have a healthy and mature world view or they're just incapable of dwelling. Suppose that is healthy...

17. CmereSweetHeart

A small thing about floran reproduction now

After hours of wearing the last tier armor of the florans, I have deducted that florans have belly buttons, or else it's just a weird black dot, anyways if it is a belly button then it means floran reproduction may be somewhat like human reproduction since the belly buttons would prove that the child floran grows inside the mother, or else this belly button has no signification, or floran reproduction is terrifying to look at

18. Nibolas O Anelbozas

it could be the thing from the bulb, like the "cord" i don't know how it's called in english, sorry

19. CmereSweetHeart

you mean the umbilical cord, wich is why I believe the floran reproduction may be similar to human reproduction, since the belly button is technically a "scar" from the umbilical cord

20. Nibolas O Anelbozas

i wouldn't say it's an umbilical cord, because the cloning animation show a seed, them a bulb, them the bulb "spit" the floran, can you understand me? i'm struggling to express myself here