1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Prevailing Romantic Customs Among Species

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FakeGeekGamerGirl, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Ryumaru

Ryumaru Big Damn Hero

We could also look at older Japanese romantic customs, such as writing haiku that totally isn't about that person but actually is if you squint a bit. I imagine the high-society Hylotl romances are very courtly.

Offhand, I wonder if any of the societies (aside from Apex, since we've already covered them) practice arranged marriage? Out of the ones we have, I could see it being likely among Hylotl and Avian.

2. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

well since floran have kind of a tribal aspect, I would think arranged marriage would be like offering peace between their tribes. Negotiation for peace. Within the floran society. Look back at native americans as they wage peace and war. Similar concept.

Glitch could be the same way with the royal families among other things. Of course selling and slave trade might be a thing as well depending on the sect they are in. That era is known for such things, as well breeding within the family. ><

The only one I am skeptical of would be the novakids, as it is likely they may or may not know or remember the arrangement. Living in the moment can cause this...

3. Dauthdaert

Dauthdaert Void-Bound Voyager

Novakids aren't THAT forgetful. They're "living in the moment" lifestyle won't cause them to forget something like an arranged marriage. But they don't even seem like the type of society to do that anyway.

Alkanthe likes this.
  4. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Never said they were forgetful...

What I meant by what I did say was slip of the mind. Not everyone likes arranged marriages, so those likely to not be fond of it would slip their mind as they get distracted. Ever see the absentminded professor, or Cats & Dogs. Referring to how distracted a novakid would likely get. Being so engrossed into what they are doing in that moment, they might forget/slip their mind. They probably will remember eventually, but not always in the most opportune moments. As with life and people that tend to be that way. Well it is the way I see it, as i in a way can relate to them partially... The distracted part of living in the moment, or from moment to moment.

I would see it most unlikely due to how distracted they get, or focused singularly on something.

5. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Avians tend to be rather free about matters of the heart. I think arranged marriages probably wouldn't occur, but among non-Grounded, you'd still need a priest to bless the union. If the priesthood refuses to, then your marriage can't happen. Among Grounded, marriage is definitely a much more open thing - if the couple love one another, and the families approve, everything's fine. If not, they either break up or elope.

Glitch, on the other hand, especially hivemind Glitch, always practice arranged marriage - often without the couple realizing it! The simulation run by the hivemind controls all of the relationships that occur within it. The marriages are controlled, the breakups and divorces are controlled. The marital spats are controlled. The extramarital affairs are controlled. Even the trysts and one-night-stands are controlled. Among hiveminded Glitch, arranged marriages are the de facto state of things. The hivemind exerts a level of control over Glitch society that the Miniknog could only sit there and drool over.

Hylotl marriages are likely arranged only within the nobility and amongst very, very tradtitional families. Common-born Hylotl, and more modern families probably have fewer scruples (and are likely viewed quizzically by the older families - appreciated for their vibrancy and dynamism, chastised for their lack of discipline) and marry for love more frequently.

STCW262 and Nibolas O Anelbozas like this.
  6. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Imagine Romeo and Juliet as told by each race within their cultural context. The story of two lovers seperated by adversity is likely universal in the worlds of starbound. But how will they tell such a story? Something to think about.

7. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Nibolas O Anelbozas Spaceman Spiff

If my english wasn't a bit wrecked i would do that

8. RainDreamer

I would whip out some 30seconds fanfics if I am not on a phone and typing isn't such a pain.

9. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Please do that for us! when you got the time please! i would love to se the Avian Romeo and Juliet (hint: create a aztecish name for them)

FakeGeekGamerGirl likes this.
  10. FakeGeekGamerGirl

FakeGeekGamerGirl Big Damn Hero

I love this!

11. RainDreamer

Eh, I was thinking I will just use the random names the game gives for each races. And considering they are a hybrid of Egyptian and Aztec culture, it is kind of hard to make names that fits both.

12. Nibolas O Anelbozas

pick one or another! like, i will try something now, Romek and Juliaht (in my foreign brain this sound good)

13. RainDreamer

As good as any names. I don't think I am going to do names research for stories I only spend like 30 seconds of effort for, so I will just take those.

I don't think there are even R and J sounds in actual Aztec names, so lets just go with the flow and use whatever.

14. Nibolas O Anelbozas

Okay then...:oops:

15. CmereSweetHeart

CmereSweetHeart Subatomic Cosmonaut

the time you took to find the names made it more than 30 seconds of effort

HA HA

16. 409

409 Big Damn Hero

this is the worst thread I've seen in ages

it's just a game guys

17. Nibolas O Anelbozas

a game with a lore! let us be happy and think of a cute world where birds and machines hugs!

Alkanthe, Nerva and FakeGeekGamerGirl like this.
  18. CmereSweetHeart

CmereSweetHeart Subatomic Cosmonaut

A game where in the lore it is possible for a walking plant to fill the cloaca of a walking bird

Isn't it interesting?

FakeGeekGamerGirl likes this.
  19. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

And life is just life. Importance is a human concept that humans choose to give to something, theres no universal standard on what is and isent important.

That said, i wont disagree with anyone saying that its silly to find a games lore important.

I dont mind being silly.

Nerva and FakeGeekGamerGirl like this.
  20. Ryumaru

Ryumaru Big Damn Hero

And yet there's eleven pages of people having fun discussing this stuff.

Get off your high horse and let people enjoy the damn game their way.