Please Implement A Warp Beacon, Doing Anything Underground Is Tedious Without It

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Pizzarugi, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enot

Enot Subatomic Cosmonaut

Not everyone is asking for it to be easier. Especially considering it couldn't be "easier" than it is currently, other than making it one button, instant immunity teleportation. Perma death players currently can easily without fear logout and avoid any and all threats. You require nothing to immediately at the start of the game have the ability to leave from any location, any depth and return to your ship, with absolutely no loss. The only problem is that it breaks immersion, there is absolutely zero difficulty.

So again, either make it to where logout functions differently to coincide what "you" believe is the intent, or just put something ingame, could be buildable, use amount that must be replenished etc. something that actually keeps players in the game, and provides the exact same function.

//edit//
    You know using a game that is quite similar. Terraria's magic mirror is in all regards, less safe than any half witted player who can hit esc and exit. Anyone with mediocre skill at mouse clicking could easily hit esc and hit the exit game quicker than it takes the magic mirror to fire up/off. Shocker, hitting escape and exit game also don't require any mana, go figure you have 0 limitations other than your own ability.

Just yet again another example of how it can be done, that isn't any easier or beneficial, it just doesn't require a game exit. Yet again, they could have just changed how the exiting game works to nullify this and make it "harder" had that been the intent.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  2. Untrustedlife

Untrustedlife Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Good point .

Spatial_Pioneer likes this.
  3. Spatial_Pioneer

Spatial_Pioneer Void-Bound Voyager

This is probably the most ridiculous argument I've heard on the forums. After this I'm done. I really don't care anymore.

Logging out and logging back in...isn't a 'tactic'.

The same way the kid that would restart the game any time failure was an option; wasn't "good" at it.

Of course you should lose immersion. YOU ARE QUITTING. It's not that the devs are leaving it that way-that's just what happens WHEN YOU QUIT.

If that is how you play Starbound then far be it from me to stop you. But really now, there are other ways to go about getting out from underground that are significantly less juvenile...

4. Enot

Enot Subatomic Cosmonaut

Someone used something more effective than you. Now classified as juvenile. I expected as little when you were cornered on the matter.

This is a practice that has been used by hundreds of thousands of players across multiple games. It is not a secret, and those games that did not intend a logout system to be used in that manner have taken steps to show that this is not the intent.

Without that being shown, like with so many other games, it is safe to assume it is not breaking away from the intent.

You've now equated this to restarting due to failure. No this has to do with people not enjoying a massive useless waste of time.

Hopefully however, you stick to what you say, that you don't care and we won't have to hear anything else from you regarding the matter.

Perq likes this.
  5. Spatial_Pioneer

I never said it was a secret. I said it was lame. You're free to be that lame- it's your perogative. Just don't go around saying everyone else agrees with you and demanding changes to help you be that lame. Especially when there are dozens of solution already in place. (Grappling hook was made for this) in truth this whole thread is kinda useless. My only regret is bothering in the first place.

Like the kid who restarts the race if not in first- this conversation will continue until completed. You will not have won, just merely worn down everyone else until you place ny default. So yes am withdrawing; not because you are right. But I realize that your gameplay tactics and your argumentative nature coincide and that is a battle I have no interest in.

Untrustedlife likes this.
  6. Enot

Enot Subatomic Cosmonaut

Nah, its because you prefer only to hear your opinion from yourself, and disregard comments from others that would even lend itself to agreement with your opinion, but because it didn't leave your glorious fingertips and came from elsewhere, you argue. I stated how many times now. If not the intent, we should have the logout system changed, to prevent this kind "gaming the system" if that is what it is deemed. If unchanged, all you say about it is just your opinion about the usage of it, nothing more, you may not like it, just like some may prefer to play the game only using melee, because they dislike guns.

Furthermore, the "secret" that you failed to comprehend is that, because it is not a secret, it is common knowledge and common practice. Nor did I ever state that you thought it was or said it was a secret.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    Perq likes this.
  7. Guys. Let's reel it in. We're approaching that snide territory really quickly -- and I don't want to issue warnings over silly disagreements.

8. Enot

Enot Subatomic Cosmonaut

~_^ edited for respect of your request.

9. Spatial_Pioneer

Nice addendum. That got much bitchier between edits. I read the original and thought "okay that's reasonable."

Then I see you updated it to this? Yeah 2X as done with you.

10. Enot

Enot Subatomic Cosmonaut

May be wise to update as well to see the moderators request. Not just to try and find a way to respond with a quip.

As to the conversation, its nothing new, it was stated several times, so no, I don't believe you would have agreed, nor did you think it was reasonable, you've already shown otherwise.

The point that is being made is that the current baseline by which comparison can and will be drawn is what is currently allowable through the mechanics of the game.

The logout system functions in such a way that liking, or disliking the mechanics aside, means there is an easy and quick way with no danger, no requirement to play and obtain any item etc to accomplish the task of returning to your ship.

With that in mind, if the intent is for that system to work in that fashion, something should be implemented in game, that performs, at a similar level. Not identical and not risk free but something similar.

If that is not the intent, the logout system should be changed, to reflect the intent and desired user experience. If left as is, it is akin to leaving button active that allows you to set your pixel amount at will. Some will say doing so is wrong and bad practice others will use it.

It's very simple really, don't have a system that contradicts the intent.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  11. Perq

Perq Phantasmal Quasar

If it can be done, it can turn into a tactic. It is ridiculous that you can't see that leaving such thing in the game does damage to it. We have all this things that makes game harder (you can't even warp back when underground), yet we have an option to instantly escape any danger. Why would we not use it if it is there? Because it is "lame". Lame is the argument that you are using.

Enot likes this.
  12. Spatial_Pioneer

Ugh will y'all stop?

All I'm saying is if you plan to hop out of game...then yes immersion SHOULD be lost. If you don't want to stop playing than maybe pick a different tactic. And of you noted 'tactic' is rife with sarcasm. I have the opportunity to turn my computer off by holding down the power key. Sure it's easier-and if the designers wanted me to shut it down properly than they would make it so I can't do that right? No they'll probably just expect me to be logical about it. Besides, the alternative is logging in EXACTLY WHERE YOU LEFT OFF each time...and to me that would be incredibly frustrating.

That's all I'm saying here. Now please either come up with something that hasn't been discussed or stop bothering me. This thread is already 35 pages too long.

(Oh and ps, "why wouldn't we use if if it were there?" Is bordline 'begging the question' which is a logic trap to begin with. My statement that restarting at any sign of failure is indeed something NOT to be proud of-is still valid. Of course though that is just an opinion, but nevertheless I only framed it as such. If you REALLY want to break down which posts even make sense grammatically, then we can play this game. I'd prefer not to, though since it's what I do in RL I'm sure I could have quote the time picking through this crap.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  13. Virtual Trident

Virtual Trident Starship Captain

I have to agree with the statement that logging out to change your situation in-game has to be avoided.

Also, the alternative is like in dozens of other games: 10 second timer before logging out, taking damage cancels it. Not logging out safely will still respect the timer, resulting in probable death if you were in the middle of a dangerous situation

14. Spatial_Pioneer

I agree too. In fact I believe it actually takes less time to die and respawn on one's ship than it does to log out and in.

Like this is what I find most ridiculous about this thread...there already is a way, it's called gameplay.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  15. Virtual Trident

I haven't read everything in this thread, so forgive me if I interpreted this wrong, but if you consider dying a legitimate way to get back to your ship without consequences then I have to disagree.

For me personally, the fun part of a dangerous situation is looking for a way to get out of it. Dying isn't "getting out of it", it's giving up. The thing is though, I'm a weak person, and if there wouldn't be a penalty for dying then I'd probably still die purposely.

So, additionally to the logout timer, IMO there needs to be a debuff that makes you think "man, I should've just tried to get back by myself instead of being a coward."

Enot likes this.
  16. Spatial_Pioneer

Oh I use my death a little more liberally than probably necessary.

I just had to bring it up since no one really HAS. It's more to acknowledge that there is more than one way to this problem that already solvea it.

(Unless you are on Permadeath in which case that's the whole point; to be challenged. One shouldn't be demanding changes be made to make it easier, if they aren't on the easiest setting.)

17. Virtual Trident

Frankly I'd be okay with some kind of device to get you back to the surface of the planet, provided it needs time to build. If it gets hit the build time increases drastically.

Dying or logging out to save time or get out of a dangerous situation should not be a viable option, regardless of difficulty setting. While permadeath does exist to provide a challenge, it's not made to counter exploits like this at all.

From what I've read, you claim that people who do this should lose immersion. Consider this from the developers point of view: why would they purposely kill immersion in any way possible? It makes people lose interest in the game, and I think we can all agree that it's not good for business.

Enot likes this.
  18. Spatial_Pioneer

Because when tou log out, you are doing just that...logging out. I don't remember who but someone recommended having that fixed... Every point that I have had to make is to offer a counter.

My opinion, this thread is irrelevant. There are currently MANY different ways to get out from underground, all un vaying levels of difficulty. The devs do not need to (nor should) waste their time either creating ANOTHER warp beacon, or adjusting the current UI to prevent log out/log in exploitation, as was earlier suggested.

The only reason why I got so heated was a few sweeping declarations that were uncalled for. It'd be one thing if the devs had a huge staff that could take every request-one this small needs to utilize their time or risk burning out. There are far more pertinent obstacles in Starbound, and if I have to be the only dissenting opinion than so be it. Pursuing this thread into reality is a serious waste of time.

This is a user problem.

19. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

So, just to bring in a little bit of news from the nightlies, it looks like CF is starting to try and implement more stringent death penalties. The current incarnation is a bit too strict, but it seems that the general idea is that they don't want death to be a viable way to travel back to your ship from deep underground in a planet. Right now, you drop ores/bars when you die, and you have to go back and pick them up.

As others have said, there is a gap in functionality right now. It is "not possible" to go from deep underground, back to your base. In the Stable build, you can do this by either Dying (losing some pixels), or by Quit + LogIn (losing nothing). Personally, I feel that both methods lose immersion, but this is a highly subjective point and no one needs to agree with how I feel about it.

This gap could be filled by some kind of consumable warp item (with some way to make it not a Get Out Of Underground Free card through whatever mechanism seems good) or by implementing Star Gates that can teleport to/from specific locations once placed. This would either require a non-trivial material cost to construct the items, or a small cost plus a lack of combat or dangerous situation.

There are plenty of things that Starbound could really use before something like this, such as the progression and most things they've been working on as seen in the daily updates, but this is still a very noticeable and inconvenient situation, so it's worth talking about (but not getting bent out of shape over).

Spatial_Pioneer and Enot like this.
  20. Spatial_Pioneer

^- I agree that a get out free card could be useful; but as a mod, not as part of current build.
    As far as 'not possible' I disagree. All it takes is creativity and the willingness to problem solve.

Here's several ways that I've used to get back. (Keeping in mind, finding out whats below me is the first thing I do when I arrive)

-Jumping up and to the side while drilling.
    -building a ladder out of platforms
    -building a tower out of blocks
    -bubble/buterfly while drilling upwards, carving one way or another before falling back down.
    -climbing rope/grappling hook
    - MODS! like the graviton elevator, or the magnets from Starfoundry (makes great cannons or direct route high speed transit. Seriously cool)
    -simply carving out some background blocks and seeing if you're above the line where you can jump out.
    -swimming through large pools of poison because there's a large chamber above me
    -always having a tent, always having blocks to barricade oneself or enemies.

Etc...

A lot of these are based around the fact that you have a decent drill and some quick reflexes. I can understand how it'd be frustrating in higher difficulties, but having all your stuff dropped or just being dead is the price paid when playing. *shrugs* can't feel bad because that was the player's choice.

All of these tactics are achievable at any level and either stability. If worst case happens and you just need to log out to save yourself, cool. It happens! I myself have utilized the fail safe. No judgement.

But if it's your go to typical method or if you seek to change how the game works just for the sake of it- without doing any of the above methods; than I feel you are Starbounding wrong.

Creativity is the spice of THIS universe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.