Please Implement A Warp Beacon, Doing Anything Underground Is Tedious Without It

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Pizzarugi, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazyguy

lazyguy Orbital Explorer

Quickly went through pages so I might have missed something, but it seems safe enough to say many people want it, but afraid it will break 'challenge fun' part of exploring.

Perhaps it should be free dlc? That way people can decide if they want to have teleport in their Starbound or not.

2. White935

White935 Big Damn Hero

3. Neohanja

Neohanja Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i can say warp pads would be awesome. I was exploring planets and found a really cool dungron I like and want to set up base. Problrm is, it is on the other side of the planet, and too out of the way to be fun to use, as I have to fight half the planet to get there...

4. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Aquatic Astronaut

I like this idea but only if there's an extreme cost. If you want two way transport it would be even more expensive. So you'd need something like a portable generator, a tesla spike, and then the pad itself and it would only send you back to the ship. To get two way, you'd need those things again. It would be worth it if only for those unexpected windfalls..like running across an underground lab and looting the whole place of everything except the lava and running out of inventory slots.

I'd also like to see a ship orbit change. So if you find something cool on the exact opposite side of the planet, you can move your orbit to match that rather than the arbitrary spot you land on.

5. FSeven

FSeven Big Damn Hero

put teleport pads in the game and let people police themselves in regards to whether or not they want to use them. don't want t use them? fine, don't. but don't suggest that they not be included just because you find that they might be utilized in a fashion they weren't intended for. and really, what does anyone care if Joe Schmo decides to use teleport pads to have quick access from the surface to the lowest depths? what bearing does his use of it have on anyone else? none. I'll never understand why people concern themselves so much with how other people play.

case in point, i play on a server with upwards of 15 other people. we can't overload the drop point with structures and farms due to the lag it causes so we've spread out on the planet. It has solved the lag issue but has created a new problem of making getting around quite tedious. the skyrail system, without any speed up/slow down rail segments, doesn't fit the bill. we would like to be able to have a small teleporter room near the drop point which are linked to various parts of the planet where people have built their structures.

6. Aurorialis

Aurorialis Pangalactic Porcupine

Might have been said before, but hey!

If people really are terrified of plunk-n-port technology, why not make the teleporter a more permanent addition to the base? Perhaps the teleporter itself could be multiple objects which detect the others to function--good luck placing them all just right while running for your life. Maybe it requires a power source (as mentioned earlier in the thread, I believe). Maybe it takes a sec to warm up.

Honestly, I'd say that the benefits of being able to build wherever you like far outweigh the risk of exploit.

+1

Lost in Nowhere likes this.
  7. Daimoth

Daimoth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I disagree that this would be game breaking or mitigate the challenge of the game in any way, especially considering that techs like bubble/butterfly boost exist. You can get from endless lava back to the surface in about a minute (possibly less, I haven't timed it) with either one of those techs.

I'll look into seeing if the function that the warp button calls can be applied to object interaction.

8. Aurorialis

Aurorialis Pangalactic Porcupine

9. Daimoth

I have it installed. It's very cool, but [pretty complex in terms of usability. I do use it, however.

I'm not sure if it will be possible to choose where you want to go to, though, as the current API doesn't allow any real persistent storage which would be necessary for this to work. It would have to be one way for the time being.

Hell it might not even be possible for this idea to work at all, but I'm definitely looking atm.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  10. Daimoth

Well, damn. The icon for the teleport up/down buttons are exposed, but not anything that calls the function those buttons access. Looks like this idea dies here.

11. The CrazyD

The CrazyD Title Not Found

12. Haplo

Haplo Master Chief

I agree with having something that can act as a direct port to your base but i think it should be pricey to make and rare to find the blueprint. another thing could be a cooldown on it

13. Lordfiscus

Lordfiscus Phantasmal Quasar

I assumed the poster meant that they wanted a spawn point with the same function as Terraria's beds.

14. AstrellaLunari

AstrellaLunari Void-Bound Voyager

It would also be useful for designating an area on a planet to warp to. As it is, I jump to the next planet after a few nights because once I return to the ship, I don't want to lap the world. x.x

15. DukeSkath

DukeSkath Seal Broken

Suppose it were the type of thing wherein it would have to warm up for a while first, and requires a cool-down period? That way it doesn't become a spamming mechanism for escaping tight squeezes all the time, but still provides an easier way back to the surface for the Tunnel Snakes.

FWIW, there is a cheap workaround: When you "Save and Quit", the game will resume on the ship. You can then simply beam down to the surface.

As I say, cheap.

16. Matts

Matts Poptop Tamer

I just use Save and Quit after mining to the bottom of the planet and when I want to get back.

An underground warp device would be nice, that you can install once and then not move. It could be pricey and the fact that it can't move will ensure that the 'exploration danger' people keep referring to remains. But it really is a must if you want to build a base any length away from your ship. Doing so without a warp in and out makes it impractical and pointless to do so.

Also, it would be fun to come across someone else's base on a distant planet on the other side.

17. Lordfiscus

Lordfiscus Phantasmal Quasar

When he/she... let's just say "it" for now suggested a warp beacon, i'm pretty sure it's supposed to serve the same function as beds from Terraria. You right click, your spawn point is reset to wherever you clicked, and you'll beam down to that area if you warp to the planet from your ship. Alternatively if you have no idea what terraria is, Minecraft is the same thing, you reset your spawn point with it.

Haplo likes this.
  18. winevirus

winevirus Void-Bound Voyager

This counters any argument to the whole "oh, in danger, just warp back to base". If you can't warp, you can leave come back. People want a way to teleport back and forth between two points, not a trick to get out of death. I think it's fair.

Haplo likes this.
  19. Zyroxen Xyphwreton

Zyroxen Xyphwreton Aquatic Astronaut

I totally agree with you winevirus on the point of the cheap get out of death trick. This is my interpretation of what a teleporting device should be implemented in Starbound: a deployable device (much like the one found in our starship) that can be crafted and/or found in dungeons or boss drops. They could only be mined back into an item by the owner who placed it, so people on servers won't grieve by stealing them (naturally generated ones can still be obtained). In addition, much like the beds in Minecraft, they can't be used when there's hostile creatures within a certain range and when you are in a battle, thus reducing or eliminating the "Beam me up" tactics when someone is about to die. And when people have multiple teleport points on a single planet (who owns them), they can pick a specific destination to teleport to and able to name those points to whatever they wish it to be. This is what I think the device should be able to do and it sounds reasonable and fair to me.

Apollyna likes this.
  20. Goldpork

Goldpork Zero Gravity Genie

Seriously, I built a house on the other side of the planet no knowing that I couldn't beam to there! :mad:

Cliff474 and DukeSkath like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.