Please Implement A Warp Beacon, Doing Anything Underground Is Tedious Without It

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Pizzarugi, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scorn

Scorn Aquatic Astronaut

+1 this suggestion. I hate having to walk out of my house to beam to my ship, although I build my house on top of the warp point.

However here's how I would see it based on concerns in page #1.

There would be multiple, varying tier beacons. Tier one is a disposable, slow charge up 1 way beacon. You need to stay still while it locks on to you, and is very ineffective unless you are deep underground in a room.

Tier two could be slightly better, that serves as a two way system, but once again, slow charge up, and requires a stationary lock-on...

Tier three could be better in the sense its two way, and charges up fast, but still requires lock on,

then the higher tiers could be just OP sorta "Beam me up now scotty" shit. I mean, I have a (commandeered) Apex lab for a base that I have so many security doors because i feel like it, but I hate opening them all just to walk out of my base. Sure, the damn base is right where my ship beams down, but if my ship can beam into it, why cant I just beam back out? So maybe even tech that you can have as a portable teleporter beacon, however using it costs pixels, and renders its unusable for another 15 minutes? Or maybe it uses ship fuel?!? The harder it is to lock on, the more fuel it takes? Idk, just coming up with ways to balance such a suggestion.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  2. 31jarey

31jarey Star Wrangler

They should add something like that because it takes me 30 min + to get halfway down my cave/mine!

3. Unwitnessed

Unwitnessed Poptop Tamer

Maybe there could be some sort of relay system for this? IE: For every X number of blocks from the spawn point there needs to be a relay to connect the warp beacon to it. Since you cannot warp up to your ship from below ground, it would make sense to have a relay since the surface is blocking the signal.

In this way there would need to be some intent to the process, not just carrying a warp beacon and warping out whenever you get in trouble.

4. ScorchaZ

ScorchaZ Void-Bound Voyager

@OP
    How about that we just build a lift instead.. :p

5. Paragon123

Paragon123 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I definitely want a teleport as well. I also don't think that being forced to make it out of impervium is a bad thing either... many players have already gotten impervium armor showing that it is possible, perhaps even a bit easy as is so the teleporter isn't required for "standard" game play... but at the same time at some point we want to be able to build Bases/communities and being locked to teleporting to the spawn point is very counter productive for that purpose. Basically it's like saying you have a whole world but only one single spot is any good for setting up a base in. Not to mention how useful it would be for a shared server world... you could make a teleport hub at the spawn and anyone who wanted could set up a port to their own base on the same planet.

Make the port a couple impervium (5/10/25) each, and make it so when you try to pick it up all you get is a single coal ore. Realistically, no matter how expensive you make it, if someone wants to they can simply mod it in, or make it free from their 3d printer... so just make it tough enough to make it a pain to mass produce without cheating.
    Heck, we already have a one way (From anywhere to ship) teleport called "Save and quit"

6. LuckyRare

LuckyRare Phantasmal Quasar

All the "Make it expensive to craft, lose everything when trying to remove" suggestions make me worry about griefing tho, or accidentally removing it, with a drill or something.
    Not to mention the MEGAMETEORS who clearly just don't give a dead rat's tail about anything and you better hope you're more than 6 feet under when it decides to drop in.

7. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Big Damn Hero

Actually have it be time delayed teleportation.

Unlike the ship beaming teleportation, the teleporter doesn't work through solid object.

So in a sense it has to 'break down' your shape into a form that can go through object, and form you again at another point.

This takes time and can be risky as it can kill you if anything interferes with the machine.

Having a teleporter set up at the core, and one at the surface, it will take about 30-60 seconds of charging in order to send you to the surface and back.

8. AhmNee

AhmNee Big Damn Hero

I disagree. Now you're just exchanging one form of tedium for another.

9. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Big Damn Hero

Well if you mean balancing it, I consider that to be better than the frustration you get having to utilize teleportation in other means.

Another idea is a sort of 'signal' levels, where your options changes based on the level of signal you can have.

And it can't be restricted to player teleportation... What if you want to setup mining systems where you can warp or elevate vehicles or containers?

This plays a huge role, especially for vehicles later on in the game.

Having a 15-45 second loading time for vehicles to dismantle and form is not a bad thing as you'd be doing it remotely anyhow.

For instance you build a drill tank on the surface where your factory is located, but instead of going down the long route, you can bring it to a telepad to teleport your vehicle to a telepad in range of the current area.

Using teleportation and such like this, should consume some sort of resources, like 'energy', which can probably be built (build generators, capacitors, and shields, etc) to deliver your vehicle to places.

The signal just affects the speed or rate of how fast it'll do the job, maybe even incur slight damage if the signal is too low.

Anyhow, you create a drill tank on the surface, you warp it to the core, then set it up to mine the core. As you mine it with a vehicle, the drill will get damaged so you must go back to repair.

Sending a object from one point to another will consume energy on both sides of the telepad, so you may want to proxy it by having a 3rd telepad next to the one your vehicle is sent to. This telepad is then used to send the vehicle further down another 'floor'.

10. AhmNee

AhmNee Big Damn Hero

Aaand now you're advocating micromanagement.

From the rest of your post, needless added complexity from what I could follow. I'm not sure if that's my failing or a failing in how you described it.

I haven't gotten to mechs/vehicles. Are they handled as items or as permanent entities?

11. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Big Damn Hero

items = entities. In OOP anything that is a thing is a object/entity/actor due to it used in a scope to real life. And without the effort, why should we make it easy in the first place?

12. 31jarey

31jarey Star Wrangler

That's how I got out of my caves in Terreria... (Save and Quit) :3

13. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Big Damn Hero

One person saving and quitting to spawn in ship not affect you much at all... Especially if they are in single player and on their own servers. The whole thing is that this game is like a minecraft, your server or universe, your play style.

14. LuckyRare

Pfft, Save and quit, Magic Mirror is where it was at! Which reminds me...I'd rather have Lucky Horseshoe than mirror.

15. TheLostSentinel

TheLostSentinel Big Damn Hero

Lucky hearts, stars, horseshoes, clovers and blue moons? :l

[​IMG]

I'M NOT SORRY.

16. darkfury

darkfury Space Hobo

Once you build a house/settlement, I think when you warp to a planet you should warp to your house or settlement. It took me forever to find the "perfect spot" and once there I figured I'd warp right back to it, nope, had to go all the way around the planet to get back to my house. Just a thought!

17. dra6o0n

dra6o0n Big Damn Hero

Tele-beacon? What you can add is a "Warp to last used beacon" option on the ship.

18. Antipickle

Antipickle Space Hobo

Or..... just make a wide entrance going straight down to the bottom. Then you can fly out or make an elevator or something. (don't know if those exist, but that might work well an addon)

19. WolfBane

WolfBane Phantasmal Quasar

Technically you'd still need to fly/jump all the way back up, and that takes time. Also, you're probably not going to stay too close to that tunnel while mining, if you're even the slightest bit OCD and you want that last bit of Diamond or Uranium. Even though it's much more immersive to do it that way, it's still a hassle. And when people are faced with choices as different as simply heading back to the tunnel and going up or using the save and quit method, for a lot of people the Dominant Strategy effect can kick in.

20. LuckyRare

I sadly don't live in a country that ever had them. I haven't got the slightest clue if they're good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.